Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Well I'm currently down in the Ft. Worth area at a Taxidermy school. I'm really enjoying learning some new techniques to make my work better. I just finished up this deer today. It's still drying and I'll take better pics when I get it home to the shop but here are some pics.
IMG_2362.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2364.JPG
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG
IMG_2367.JPG
IMG_2368.JPG
IMG_2372.JPG
This cape was one the instructor gave me along with a set of antlers from a different deer. The cape had significant damage which was part of the project that I had to repair and work through. In hind sight I should have took pics of the damage to the cape to show what all I had to repair. The cape was a green cape and I had to flesh, turn, tan, repair, and mount. All things said I think it turned out well and I'm pretty proud of it. On the critique the only marks I lost was that I had the ear buds set about 1/4 inch too far back but other than that I received top marks. I'd be glad to have y'alls opinion as any criticism just helps me to do better. I can certainly see a difference between this deer and my previous work.

Next week we start birds and small mammals, I'llbe doing a duck and a chuckar for my birds and a coyote for my full body small mammal. After that over the next few weeks I'll be doing fish. I'm assigned a largemouth bass and a red fish.

Getting better all the time! The eyes look really great. Nose looks much better too. You're well on your way. Would love to see a ram that you mount!

Getting better all the time! The eyes look really great. Nose looks much better too. You're well on your way. Would love to see a ram that you mount!
You'll get to. I have 5 different sheep and a Catalina and angora in the shop. Once they are back from the tannery I'll be mounting them.

Looks to me you really cut down on expenses on the next safari

It's almost like you are trainable! Great improvement.

Before I read your post I'd have said the ear bases were off kilter.
They also appear to be in the "listening for worms" position.

The tough ones are always going to be the hack jobs that come in. "Saving" trophies is always the tough part of the job.

Thanks Brick. I felt kinda stupid I didn't get the ears set right. As soon as he said it I realized I'd goofed on them. I liked the position of the ears as I'm not a fan of the straight forward ear position. I couldn't believe I'd let myself set them that far back considering I'd spent a lot of time setting them to get the position where I wanted on them. It was a great example of over fiddling with something.

............... It was a great example of over fiddling with something.
Oh, yeah!

Have the picture in your mind and work the plan.

Nice work, looks like its going to blink his eye any second

Nice Eric.

Very cool. Keep on at it my friend.

Just an observation (I have no criticism for someone working this hard, especially as your are willing to share your training and development with us! Inspiring, honestly. ) It is interesting how a 1/4 of an inch can make such a difference when trying to capture that frozen moment in time. You definitely have to sweat the details or those minor issues loom large to the eye. Good luck on your journey

Looks like a great start buddy. If you ask me your going to be just fine. As you know it takes years to perfect anything. IMO your off to a great start.

I like it and you can see the difference already from the other you posted. Next one take some more step by step pictures so we can see more of the way things get done. I would enjoy seeing that. Good luck on the birds and coyote as those will be some hard work for sure.

Looks good to me, improvement since you started is amazing brother! Eyes look great!
I would have to say the ears are set back a lot closer to 17/64" than a 1/4" though!lol
BTW, just to be clear, I am pretty sure @Ragman wants to see your taxidermy on the ram, I've seen you mount sheep way before you were a Taxidermist and it isn't something that should be put on this forum! LMAO
Keep up the good work my friend,
Cody

I think he looks good Gizmo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross