Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
With the Empire saga it got me thinking who are the truly good dependable rifle builders.

Note which country, type of rifles, if you own one, or know them from reputation.

American Hunting Rifles and Duane Wiebe in the USA. I always think of wood stocked big bores when I think about these guys.

I own three rifles that AHR either built or modified. Wayne Jacobson is a class act and will actually deliver on time or even early at very reasonable prices. And he will build you a .600 Overkill which is aptly named.

American Hunting Rifles, Plains Game Hunting Rifles

Duane Weibe is a master craftsman. I do not own any of his rifles but have been to the range with some. All works of art.

Custom Gun Maker, Duane Wiebe

Check out either site, it will make you drool.

Thanks Mike, for bringing common sense to custom rifle work on AH! Sounds like a lot of people could use sound advice and recommendations for custom gun work.

Some of the better ones that I know:

Lon Paul:
Lon Paul Custom Gunmaker

Lon is a super nice guy, and I call him a friend. He builds some of the most functional big bore rifles I've ever seen. He is talented in wood and metal and Lon does not have a burr up his ass like alot of other gunmakers.

Ralph Martini--well whats to say I think Ralph make one of the most eye pleasing rifles out there!

Martini & Hagn Gun Makers - Custom Craftsmanship!

Ryan Breeding--What can I say may not be your cup of tea, but the ones I've held were cool, and fed like butter. If I had the 20k to spend I'd get on the list. I love the custom irons he has on his rifles.

Page 1

Reto Buehler--super gunmaker, very eye pleasing works. I have met Reto a few times and if I had unlimited funds he would be on my short list.

Firearms

Joe Smithson--never met him but man he makes some super looking rifles. This is my short list I'm sure there are tons of others.

Joe Smithson

I have a good friend Tip Burns--he builds a nice rifle too/ but I would not call him a all out gun maker like the guys above, but he does do some nice metal work. Another super young gunsmith is Carl Elkers super guy!

Canyon Sporting Arms

Ed

Thanks Paul for the link. Beautiful rifles! Being a fan of this type rifle already, these really sing to me! Out of my league though.

Glenn Soroka had dinner one night in Reno, and I drove him back to his hotel in one hell of a snow storm. He is a super nice guy! Builds a super rifle too.

Ed

I highly recommend Stuart Satterlee of Satterlee Arms (South Dakota).

Stuart built me a magnificent .30/06 on a prewar VZ 24 Mauser action. he is currently building a .338 for me on a 1953 Winchester Model 70 action. Stuart also builds rifles (including DG) rifles on his own made from scratch Mauser 98 actions. He will build a .30/06 class rifle on a titanium Mauser action that he machines from scratch. Look up his website.

Jose Somarriba at Somarriba, Inc in Miami, FL also builds beautiful rifles in his incredibly well equipped shop. I have a .300 Winchester built on a Model 70 action and a 9.3x62 built on a Pre-war Persian Mauser action that are incredibly smooth, well made and accurate. look up Somaribba's website as well.

Empire Rifles: Fyi: I have obtained final judgment against Empire Rifle, LLC in the total amount of $19,285.50. The lawsuit was filed in the Sullivan County Superior Court and was captioned Vance Diggins v. The Empire Rife Company, LLC, Docket No. 220-2011-CV-00012.

HighVelocity

Welcome to AH...:newbie:

You should have started a new Forum posting with this post rather than taking over another forum.:hijack:

Empire Rifles: Fyi: I have obtained final judgment against Empire Rifle, LLC in the total amount of $19,285.50. The lawsuit was filed in the Sullivan County Superior Court and was captioned Vance Diggins v. The Empire Rife Company, LLC, Docket No. 220-2011-CV-00012.

RIFLES INC. - Has built rifles for several widely know gun writers, Layne Simpson my personal favorite gun writer talks highly bout Lex's work.
Lex's Safari example is a weather resistance built rifle for those interested in not tearing up your pride and joy in the the hunt.

Founder Lex Webernick personally builds
each rifle to optimize your hunting and shooting
experience. Our's are the lightest and most
accurate sporting rifles available.
Custom lightweight rifles -
built the right way - one at a time.

Safari (8 1/2 lbs.)
Add a drop box magazine for 4-round capacity.
Calibers 375 H&H, 416 Rem. Mag and other large, dangerous game catridges
Weight 8 1/2 lbs. (May vary depending on caliber and options)
Action Customer supplied Winchester Model 70 Classic (control round
feed)

rifle_safari.jpg

My gunsmith Rob Spittles in Rylestone new south Wales in Australia is a master in wood and steel. He works on rifle, shot gun and pistol. His work is beyond reproach. The 505 Gibbs he built on a M17 Enfield with museum quality walnut was a joy to behold.
I have had an 1885 Winchester lowall built by him. It started life as a 44wcf with a half round half octagonal barrel. The barrel was sleeved with a .224 insert to be chambered for the 22K Hornet. The stock was converted from straight grip to pistol grip with a beautiful piece of exhibition grade walnut from luxus in the U.S.. custom scope mount and more. He regards it as unfinished as I ran out of money for the checkering. Maybe on day.
Rob also built my 35Whelan that I used in Namibia. Just a simple barrel change and accurize.
He is also on of the few smiths that can do work on H&H rifles and Purdy shot guns both restoration and repair. I am proud to call this humble man a friend, he is a true gentleman and master craftsman.

I really like the work of Griffin & Howe and Fred Wells. I have had American clients bring custom bolt rifles from both makers. They were as reliable and accurate , as they were beautiful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.14.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.14.28 PM.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.14.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.14.31 PM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.14.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.14.32 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.14.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.14.41 PM.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 158
the problem with getting old is that all of my hero gunmakers have passed away. Of those that I had opportunity to meet and with some I became close friends, I even have rifles made by some of them. first on the list is CP Donnelly followed by Al Biesen, Herman Waldron, and Maurice Ottmar. I've known a few others that did more damage to my guns than help, but I won't mention them, I guess they may have just been on a bad streak. But if you can find a rifle made by one of those mentioned, grab it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois