AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
that he knows, what happened in the "good old days" in Alaska :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Hi Velo,

here a few pics for you,
Andy Simons with a Ram.jpg
this is a moose hunt.jpg
Andi Simons and Grizzly.jpg
from the book "Alaska",written by Count Szecheny,a famous hungarian sportsman,who hunted in Kenai with the Alaska Guide Nr. 1 Andi Simons in the late 30ies.
Hope you enjoy : how it was........ (and is ,in most times ,I hope)
Merry Xmas
Foxi

Thank you Foxi,

These photos are wonderful.

I love reading about the old days and seeing pictures of those times.

Hunting and fishing was fantastic then.

It was also very good when I first set foot in Alaska (1981) and I enjoyed many adventures in the bush here, beginning in 1982 when I accepted a job and moved here.

I wish Alaska would follow Germany's style of wildlife management and Canada's as well.

Sadly, this state has mismanaged the fish and game so badly that crab and salmon fishing are feeble, the clamming is feeble now and the moose/caribou populations are way down as well.

Alaska simply issues too many permits (private and commercial) for the amount of fish and wildlife we have here.

It is still sort of like the wild, wild west rules up here.

As a result, the king salmon, king crab and other species are in trouble.

I do not hunt hooved game here any more because it is very expensive glassing and hoping, not much meat packing and cooking any more.

Small game is still pretty good and living in Alaska is my favorite place.

I would not want to move away.

Merry Christmas,
Velo Dog.

Wildlife departments everywhere are mismanaging wildlife. Its a damn shame, it's all about the money!

Great pictures

Hi Velo
....and the other Alaskan fellows and friends.
Here pics from Saison 1969
"Jagdparadies Alaska" Ottokar Skal/Author.
One bull has 239 points B+C and one 243 B+C.
And one cauliflower trophy.
Don't missunderstand me,an old bull is for me a good bull.And a big one is just luck.
And to get in the book is a lottery win.Nice,but nothing where I'm hunting for.
Points may be needed to compare the regions where the animals are living(for me).
all the best
Foxi
(who has today no energy for his work)

Alaska Elche.jpg
Perückenbock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Foxi,

These photos are wonderful.

I love reading about the old days and seeing pictures of those times.

Hunting and fishing was fantastic then.

It was also very good when I first set foot in Alaska (1981) and I enjoyed many adventures in the bush here, beginning in 1982 when I accepted a job and moved here.

I wish Alaska would follow Germany's style of wildlife management and Canada's as well.

Sadly, this state has mismanaged the fish and game so badly that crab and salmon fishing are feeble, the clamming is feeble now and the moose/caribou populations are way down as well.

Alaska simply issues too many permits (private and commercial) for the amount of fish and wildlife we have here.

It is still sort of like the wild, wild west rules up here.

As a result, the king salmon, king crab and other species are in trouble.

I do not hunt hooved game here any more because it is very expensive glassing and hoping, not much meat packing and cooking any more.

Small game is still pretty good and living in Alaska is my favorite place.

I would not want to move away.

Merry Christmas,
Velo Dog.

Hi Velo Dog,
Since you are from Alaska I was wondering have you ever heard about Miles Martin? He wrote 4 books about his days living in the wilds of Alaska as a mountain man (no electricity, running water, many miles from the nearest human etc...) which he did for like 20 years after getting dropped off as a 20 something year old city boy from the lower 48.

Here is a link for anyone interested http://www.milesofalaska.net/book/ quite the read

Dragan

Hi Velo Dog,
Since you are from Alaska I was wondering have you ever heard about Miles Martin? He wrote 4 books about his days living in the wilds of Alaska as a mountain man (no electricity, running water, many miles from the nearest human etc...) which he did for like 20 years after getting dropped off as a 20 something year old city boy from the lower 48.

Here is a link for anyone interested http://www.milesofalaska.net/book/ quite the read

Dragan

I have regrettably not heard of Miles Martin.
Very interesting web site though, and thanks for posting it.
My favorite one on this subject is the story of Richard Proenneke who, built a cabin near Lake Clark (very remote and wild part of Alaska) and lived in it for many years (almost 40 years).

A DVD of how he built it is found for sale on the Internet under the words "Alone In The wilderness" or "Dick Proenneke's Cabin" or something like that.
It is a very interesting documentary of a super intelligent man who, decided to build a cabin very far from civilization and live in it for many years.
Somewhere on the Internet is a virtual tour of his cabin and The Park Service lets people visit it as a historic place.
You have to fly there in a float plane and then hike a little to get to it.

When I was single, I lived for several years in a cabin, about four miles outside the town of Eagle River Alaska but, it was on a well maintained gravel road and had electricity (but no running water).
Besides, Eagle River, although up in the hills, is still technically within the city limits of Anchorage anyway.
Now I live in another part of Anchorage but still out in a wooded area, not very far from the edge of town and really have nothing to complain about.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I´m very sad about your comments, Velodog... Very sad, because the words of my Grandma are so true....!! She always says "the people cook peas every where....!"
Like a "latino", I ever think the mismanagement of the wildlife resources are a problem in the "third world" countries...
You´re words sounds like I´m wrong...
In my dreams, I see Alaska like the videos of Natgeo , a wilderness heaven plenty of big game...

I´m very sad about your comments, Velodog... Very sad, because the words of my Grandma are so true....!! She always says "the people cook peas every where....!"
Like a "latino", I ever think the mismanagement of the wildlife resources are a problem in the "third world" countries...
You´re words sounds like I´m wrong...
In my dreams, I see Alaska like the videos of Natgeo , a wilderness heaven plenty of big game...

Hi Marcos,

I battle against my own negative attitude.
So, I will say there are plenty of bears and wolves now in Alaska (that is good for bear hunters).
I see one or more black bears in my yard every year (I have a little over one acre or about one half hectare) and so far I am averaging one grizzly in my yard every year (lived in this house two years now).
Twice in one year a big wolf has walked through my yard.
My neighbor caught a huge lynx/wildcat in a trap in his yard and photographed a wolverine with one of these Trail Cameras in his yard.
He lives about 3 or 4 hundred meters from my house.
Also, there are still a few moose in Alaska, including around our neighborhood.
So, all is not lost.
It is just not as good as it was and that is in my opinion due to mis-management.
Even though our shellfish population and king salmon (chinook salmon) are way down, there is still good fishing here for other species.
If you ever visit here, you will have many things to do as an Outdoorsman.
It is still a very excellent place for people like you and like me.

Adios for now,
Velo Dog.

Wildlife departments everywhere are mismanaging wildlife. Its a damn shame, it's all about the money!
Incompetence and ideology.....

AMIGO... both places (you´re and mine) are excellent places to people like us!
You are wellcome here, werever you want, too!...
Abrazo, amigo mio!

Gracias mi amigo, igualmente.

Across the USA we have a growing predator population that is not being kept in check, we have a shrinking supply of older age wildlife and a demand by the general public to hunt as much as possible. And a wildlife dept. eager to sell as many tags as possible to make money for the state. It's a recipe for disaster.

Hi Marcos,

I battle against my own negative attitude.
So, I will say there are plenty of bears and wolves now in Alaska (that is good for bear hunters).
I see one or more black bears in my yard every year (I have a little over one acre or about one half hectare) and so far I am averaging one grizzly in my yard every year (lived in this house two years now).
Twice in one year a big wolf has walked through my yard.
My neighbor caught a huge lynx/wildcat in a trap in his yard and photographed a wolverine with one of these Trail Cameras in his yard.
He lives about 3 or 4 hundred meters from my house.
Also, there are still a few moose in Alaska, including around our neighborhood.
So, all is not lost.
It is just not as good as it was and that is in my opinion due to mis-management.
Even though our shellfish population and king salmon (chinook salmon) are way down, there is still good fishing here for other species.
If you ever visit here, you will have many things to do as an Outdoorsman.
It is still a very excellent place for people like you and like me.

Adios for now,
Velo Dog.
I struggle with the same negative attitude living in Alaska for about 22 years now. I have seen the amount of game go down and the number of hunters go up and it seems that the wildlife is taking the brunt of this scenario. Our department seems to try and keep the hunters happy at the expense of the game. The number of tags available in our drawings seems to keep going down to try and keep what wildlife we have left available. We still have a wonderful place to live though and would not trade it for anything.

My friends, I do not understand what you say.
Witold

Hi Witold,

I apologize.
My attempt to learn Spanish has been difficult since I have no person near my home to practice with but, I love that language.
I like to write it a little here and there when conversing with Spanish speakers like Marcos and others.
It helps me learn.
I can include the same words in English when I write in Spanish.

Also, I must compliment you on your English, it is very good (much better than my Spanish).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

The progress with your spanish are GREAT...
Nos vemos!

Gracias Marcos my friend,
Practicar mucho pero, hablamente piqueno.
Tu Engles es major.

(Thank you Marcos my friend
I practice much but can only speak it a little.
Your English is superior to my Spanish.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg