Tire Kicking For A Mannlicher Stocked Rifle

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Kind of interested in a mannlicher or full stock rifle. Been wanting to add one to the collection for a while. A 30/06 would be really nice but not dead set on it. I've seen a few nice CZ and some others. There was a really nice one on here the other day, but I'm just not a 270 guy. So if you have one and want to part with it let me know what you have.

If you aren’t opposed to an Interarms Mark X (30/06) then send me a PM

There are more and more actual Mannlicher Schoenauers for sale now, probably due to old farts like me kicking the bucket. Even Simpsons Ltd. has a baker's dozen.

I need to check into that. I will admit I am woefully uneducated on these rifles, up until a year or so ago I thought they were hideous. I used to strictly be a tactical timmy, only interested in the most functional and efficient means of killing things. Then I think I started getting old, I'll be 44 next month, all these wood and blued guns started showing up in my gun room. I was selling nightforce scopes to help pay for double rifles. It is a strange world. :sneaky:

I need to check into that. I will admit I am woefully uneducated on these rifles, up until a year or so ago I thought they were hideous. I used to strictly be a tactical timmy, only interested in the most functional and efficient means of killing things. Then I think I started getting old, I'll be 44 next month, all these wood and blued guns started showing up in my gun room. I was selling nightforce scopes to help pay for double rifles. It is a strange world. :sneaky:
It gets even more strange - just wait ! Hahaha!

Return of The Jedi. I'm glad you made it.

Haha I'm building a 22 it is going in a Woox, it will have either a NF or Razor.

I don't even know what that stuff is.
1662868894826.png

Kind of interested in a mannlicher or full stock rifle.... A 30/06 would be really nice but not dead set on it.

What we Yanks refer to as a "Mannlicher stock" is properly termed a stutzen, or full stocked carbine.

Not all Mannlicher Schoenauers were stutzen, not all stutzen are Mannlichers.

Mauser stutzen, 1939:
Mauser 39 Stoeger Stutzen 615.jpg

Mannlicher Schoenauer, 1939:
MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer.jpg

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details.jpg

Conversion stocks for 'sporterization' of WW1 surplus rifles to sporting stutzen, 1939:
MS ST39  319 Peerless Stocks.jpg

Early Mannlicher Schoenauer sporting rifles and stutzen had model numbers corresponding to a model specific and Mannlicher Schoenauer proprietary cartridge for which they were chambered.

The M1900 (prototype and pre production) as well as Y1903 'Greek Contract' MS and variants (Y1903/14, Y1903/14/27, 'System 1930'...) were all chambered for the 6.5X54 Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Early model MS sporting arms were:
M1903 - 6.5X54
M1905 - 9X56
M1908 - 8X56
M1910 - 9.5X57

These models feed well only with properly fitted cartridges which closely match the profile of original MS cartridges such as the DWM examples illustrated below. Properly fed, they have feed and 'action' smoother than any other production bolt action rifle.

A model with longer receiver to accommodate the 'U.S. 1906 Cartridge' (.30-'06) as well as a retaining ring in the Schoenauer magazine which would allow for greater flexibility of cartridge choices was introduced as the M1924 'Sequoia' and marketed primarily to the U.S. through Sequoia Importing Company.

MS Proprietary Cartridges.jpg

Along with the M1924 (Sequoia), Steyr produced MS rifles and carbines in several chamberings on the longer action which were identified by the 'Kaliber' being engraved on receiver ring with no model number. These arms, produced through 1940 or so (not many after the 1938 Anschluss, or 'annexation' of Austria), have come to be known as 'M1925' by collectors though they are not so marked.

Postwar production resumed with the M1950 which was, essentially, continuation of the 'M1925' though with some features omitted and, some say, not quite as well built as the pre WW2 models. The M1950 was available in a variety of chamberings, model changes from then through 1972 involved omission of clip guides, change of safety, style and profile of stock.

There is much more to a Mannlicher than presence or absence of a full stock.

I'd recommend that you get your hands on an actual MS, preferably a pre WW2 example, handle and fire it. Be warned in advance, however, it may 'ruin' most or all other bolt action rifles for you from that point onward. There is absolutely nothing like the smoothness of a pre WW2 MS action with properly fitting cartridges.

The stutzen stock of a genuine MS or pre WW2 Oberndorf Mauser is a perfectly svelte bit of craftsmanship with cast, balance, and 'pointability' unparalleled on modern arms. A modern offering with 'Mannlicher stock' may feel like a 2X4 after one has handled a genuine Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Here is more information regarding Mannlicher Schoenauers: M/S

You'd likely be very happy with an M1924 or 'M1925', M1950 stutzen. On an 'M1925', expect to see the receiver marked Kal. 7.62X63 rather than .30-'06 (metric equivalent).

M1924 'Sequoia (.30-'06):
MS Sequoia #202.jpg

'M1925' stamped 7.62X63 (.30-'06):
MS Receiver KAL 7.62 Made in Austria.jpg

Above MS (belongs to member Kuduae) is one of the unsold 'Sequoia' models that has had 'M1924' stamp changed to 'KAL: 7.62X63' (metric equivalent to .'30-'06).

MS Mannlicher.jpg
<--- Not wood.
Ritter Ferdinand von Mannlicher

Last edited:
I need to check into that. I will admit I am woefully uneducated on these rifles, up until a year or so ago I thought they were hideous.... Then I think I started getting old, I'll be 44 next month, all these wood and blued guns started showing up in my gun room.

Here is a repository of articles, posts regarding the Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles and stutzen; https://www.africahunting.com/threa...908-m1910-m1924-m1925-or-high-velocity.47277/

Mannlicher Schoenauers hideous??? Well, at least you're coming around.

My M1910 (9.5X57) is a Take Down Model, not stutzen, and can tell you that the beauty of der Mannlicher Schoenauer is in the balance, smoothness of function, balance, accuracy, instinctive 'pointability', fit, and finish regardless of stock style.

That said, the TD is sweet as can be but I wouldn't mind getting an M1924 stutzen to keep her company.

These vintage "stutzens" are peaches. I have had them all, but everytime I showed them to my friends they sleps on the doorstep until I would sell.(Thats the danger of having friends with same taste). However the next "stutzen büchse" will be welded up with a boatanchor. I will on the lookout for a model M Kurz-Mauser in particular.( I had one in 6,5x54KP).

These vintage "stutzens" are peaches. I have had them all, but everytime I showed them to my friends they sleps on the doorstep until I would sell.(Thats the danger of having friends with same taste). However the next "stutzen büchse" will be welded up with a boatanchor. I will on the lookout for a model M Kurz-Mauser in particular.( I had one in 6,5x54KP).

All you need is $167.50 (F.O.B. New York) and a time machine set to 1939. Order item #615a from the advert above.

@Brian Rothhammer posted some excellent posts above everyone should give his post history a review to learn about Mannlichers.

To the OP, the questions to understand are as follows:

1.) Why do they exist? Answer, to provide stabilization for a thin, lightweight, and usually quite short 19” barrel that is pencil diameter. They were ideal for conditions that require hiking, navigating dense brush, and alpine environments where denting the crown of the muzzle was likely. (Mannlichers protect the muzzle with a steel cap that surrounds the stock.

2.) What mannlicher style stutzen stocked rifles exist that are reasonably priced? In the inexpensive corner, its hard to top the RSI Ruger 7x57 in either their bolt action or their Ruger number 1 configuration. That’s a good rifle in the $800-$1200 range. A few stainless stutzen #1s were made in 7x57 and they actually look very good.

3.) What bad stutzen vintage rifles exist? There’s a pile of them. A lot of them are just mausers dolled up by American gunsmiths with ridiculous 23” barrels. The makers didn’t know why the stock existed so they just made a long, heavy, less accurate rifle that looks strange. Those go cheap but they do so because its like buying a Toyota Camry with a spoiler on it. Nobody knows the function but there it is.

4.) What good stutzen vintage rifles exist? The Mannlicher Schoenauer is the most common and probably the most desirable. Smoothest action design ever created, even smoother than a mauser. They all go by their original year of production to designate caliber, 1904, 1908, 1911, 1952, etc. The calibers are various but 6.5x54MS is a classic and the easiest to load. The worst of the bunch are the 1952 MCA 270 winchesters which they made a lot of. In addition, lots of single shots were made as break action stutzen and they are beautiful guns suited for a gentlemen hunter that only needs one shot.

Typically, stutzen are 19” barrels. The Ruger #1 is a 21” or 23” barrel but they look reasoanble at that length because the falling block action shortens The overall gun by 4”, thus a longer barrel still balances.

Happy searching.

I assumed I knew generally what a gun built with these items would look like. Not for me.
It's not meant to be, some people will say I'm crazy for what I spent on it much less owning it. That's okay it's built to my specs by a very good smith, it will do what I ask of it. That's the beauty of choice, we have plenty of them here.

I thought those stock were originally designed as a military implement to make the rifle easier to use as a club when out of ammo.
I found one. Purchased a interarms mark x in 30/06. I think it will serve the purpose that I want it for. Should make a handy little hunting rifle for PG and everyday general use.

What we Yanks refer to as a "Mannlicher stock" is properly termed a stutzen, or full stocked carbine.

Not all Mannlicher Schoenauers were stutzen, not all stutzen are Mannlichers.

Mauser stutzen, 1939:
View attachment 488489

Mannlicher Schoenauer, 1939:
View attachment 488490
View attachment 488493

Conversion stocks for 'sporterization' of WW1 surplus rifles to sporting stutzen, 1939:
View attachment 488497

Early Mannlicher Schoenauer sporting rifles and stutzen had model numbers corresponding to a model specific and Mannlicher Schoenauer proprietary cartridge for which they were chambered.

The M1900 (prototype and pre production) as well as Y1903 'Greek Contract' MS and variants (Y1903/14, Y1903/14/27, 'System 1930'...) were all chambered for the 6.5X54 Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Early model MS sporting arms were:
M1903 - 6.5X54
M1905 - 9X56
M1908 - 8X56
M1910 - 9.5X57

These models feed well only with properly fitted cartridges which closely match the profile of original MS cartridges such as the DWM examples illustrated below. Properly fed, they have feed and 'action' smoother than any other production bolt action rifle.

A model with longer receiver to accommodate the 'U.S. 1906 Cartridge' (.30-'06) as well as a retaining ring in the Schoenauer magazine which would allow for greater flexibility of cartridge choices was introduced as the M1924 'Sequoia' and marketed primarily to the U.S. through Sequoia Importing Company.

View attachment 488498

Along with the M1924 (Sequoia), Steyr produced MS rifles and carbines in several chamberings on the longer action which were identified by the 'Kaliber' being engraved on receiver ring with no model number. These arms, produced through 1940 or so (not many after the 1938 Anschluss, or 'annexation' of Austria), have come to be known as 'M1925' by collectors though they are not so marked.

Postwar production resumed with the M1950 which was, essentially, continuation of the 'M1925' though with some features omitted and, some say, not quite as well built as the pre WW2 models. The M1950 was available in a variety of chamberings, model changes from then through 1972 involved omission of clip guides, change of safety, style and profile of stock.

There is much more to a Mannlicher than presence or absence of a full stock.

I'd recommend that you get your hands on an actual MS, preferably a pre WW2 example, handle and fire it. Be warned in advance, however, it may 'ruin' most or all other bolt action rifles for you from that point onward. There is absolutely nothing like the smoothness of a pre WW2 MS action with properly fitting cartridges.

The stutzen stock of a genuine MS or pre WW2 Oberndorf Mauser is a perfectly svelte bit of craftsmanship with cast, balance, and 'pointability' unparalleled on modern arms. A modern offering with 'Mannlicher stock' may feel like a 2X4 after one has handled a genuine Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Here is more information regarding Mannlicher Schoenauers: M/S

You'd likely be very happy with an M1924 or 'M1925', M1950 stutzen. On an 'M1925', expect to see the receiver marked Kal. 7.62X63 rather than .30-'06 (metric equivalent).

M1924 'Sequoia (.30-'06):
View attachment 488521

'M1925' stamped 7.62X63 (.30-'06):
View attachment 488522
Above MS (belongs to member Kuduae) is one of the unsold 'Sequoia' models that has had 'M1924' stamp changed to 'KAL: 7.62X63' (metric equivalent to .'30-'06).

View attachment 488523 <--- Not wood.
Ritter Ferdinand von Mannlicher
Wow, is that the same Kuduae as over on DoubleGunShop? Expert, then. Great detailed post, BTW

Anyone get a mannlicher/full stock from Richards micro fits, after my 9.3x62 build I'd Like to do a full stock. I'm sure it's a bit of work to shape the tip and finding a muzzle cap maybe a pain. Not sure what cartridge to do the full stock in yet. Tho it's not to early to make my 9.3 a full stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg