Tikka for hunting? Thoughts in general

I once had a T3 Stainless in 308 Win. Great, handy, accurate rifle. I foolishly traded it for something else. Now I have a T3X Stainless 30/06 on the way to replace it. I should have it Monday. Hopefully it shoots as well as the 308.
Tikka are popular in Australia, along with many others. Howa are quite capable and reasonably priced.
When you talk Tikka in a gunshop in Australia they say something t
Like “They just shoot well, what can I say”. I bet some Sales rep came up with that cause I’ve heard it in different places.

I have a couple and they shoot well I’m sure I could practice more.

It seems the maching has close tolerances and they are a smooth action for what that’s worth but they are mostly accurate, remembering many are just a hunting configuration. .

I was able to shoot my new T3X 30/06 today. I am getting ready to go hunt deer this weekend, so all I did was sight it in, and then shot one group. I was shooting 165gr Remington CL factor loads, so nothing fancy. My last group was around 1", so I'm sure a good handload will shoot very well.

Old thread, but good real world experiences shared here with regards to the Tikka rifles. I'm wanting to buy a .308 to replace an older Remington 788 in that cartridge I sold several years ago to help fund a large bore rifle purchase. As much as I LOVE blued walnut and steel rifles, I'm looking for something lighter for mountain hunting at a REASONABLE price. I really like the Brownings and have an older A Bolt, but over the last three years they've become pretty proud of their X Bolts at some $997 versus $757 back then. I refuse to pay that just because. I looked at the Weatherby Vanguard, but at 7.4lbs. it's not a lightweight. The Tikka T3 Lite looks like it comes in at around 6lbs. so I'm leaning towards that rifle at about $740 now, maybe a little less. I did notice Tikka shows different barrel twist rates in a given cartridge available, which is kind of odd to me for a factory rifle? I GUESS a 1:10 would be sufficient for 165-168gr. TTSXs out of a .308? That's it, just more chatter here from me. LOL

Last edited:
Old thread, but good real world experiences shared here with regards to the Tikka rifles. I'm wanting to buy a .308 to replace an older Remington 788 in that cartridge I sold several years ago to help fund a large bore rifle purchase. As much as I LOVE blued walnut and steel rifles, I'm looking for something lighter for mountain hunting at a REASONABLE price. I really like the Brownings and have an older A Bolt, but over the last three years they've become pretty proud of their X Bolts at some $997 versus $757 back then. I refuse to pay that just because. I looked at the Weatherby Vanguard, but at 7.4lbs. it's not a lightweight. The Tikka T3 Lite looks like it comes in at around 6lbs. so I'm leaning towards that rifle at about $740 now, maybe a little less. I did notice Tikka shows different barrel twist rates in a given cartridge available, which is kind of odd to me for a factory rifle? I GUESS a 1:10 would be sufficient for 165-168gr. TTSXs out of a .308? That's it, just more chatter here from me. LOL
Sounds like it fits the the requirements you have.
For the money they are a good thing
There are numerous upgrades available if you want to customise and if you are not happy sell it. Second hand Tikkas sell ok.
You do your bit and it will do it's part.

@CoElkHunter
My mate Greg has a tikka 308. Scoped with sling and full mag 7.5 pounds. His is a bit ammo fussy but with what it likes it's a half inch rifle.
Bob

I have one in 308win, 6.5X55 and 7-08. Taken game with all of them. They are a lot nicer to carry/pack arounf than my Rem700 and Ruger M77 bolt action rifles. Mine are not fussy as to ammo and are very accurate.
Put a Leupold VX3 3.5X10x40 scope with duplex reticle and sight in 2.75" high at 100 yards and you are good to go.

1:10 is for sure good for a 168 TTSX, no issue at all.

I have one in 30/06. It shoots 165gr really well. 1:10 should be fine for your purposes.

Tikka's website shows their T3 Lite in .308Win with a 1:11 twist. The .270 and .30-06 have a 1:10 and 7mmRM 1:9.5. Other rifle brands ALL show the .308 with a 1:10. WHY would Tikka do that? I'm not sure a 1:11 will stabilize a monometal 165/168gr. bullet?

Tikka is the only cheap rifle I have ever bought that did not need the trigger adjusted or replaced. BTW.....1;11 ok with 168 TTSX........but I don't know about 180 monometals.......FWB

Tikka's website shows their T3 Lite in .308Win with a 1:11 twist. The .270 and .30-06 have a 1:10 and 7mmRM 1:9.5. Other rifle brands ALL show the .308 with a 1:10. WHY would Tikka do that? I'm not sure a 1:11 will stabilize a monometal 165/168gr. bullet?

Yes, it will. It will work on the 180s, you have plenty of margin.

I bought a Tikka T3x LITE ROUGHTECH in 6.5 PRC last year to have a knock around deer gun in that round. It really is a functional gun--four shots with four deer taken. I am very happy with the performance.

Bought a superlite in 30-06 as my main hunting rifle 2 years ago. Love the gun and has killed antelope in WY and deer in TX no problem. Plan is to be my last deer rifle I “need” to buy and havnt found a reason yet it won’t be. Had it threaded and shoots amazing with a suppressor and plenty light enough to back country with

Like mine as well. I only have 3 currently. (2) 6.5 creedmoor and a 280 rem I have yet to shoot. In the olderm695. One of the 6.5 is a youth model. Both of the 6.5 shoot multiple bullets at 1/2” some better, the 6.5x55 I had was amazing shooter too, and really regret selling it

In my opinion, Tikkas have what most shooters and hunters need - but they aren't pretty.
For replacement composite stocks, the offering from https://www.pse-composites.com/ looks great to me. Not cheap, though. McMillan and Manners have other high end options for composites.
PSE stocks are absolutely fantastic. Light, strong and well designed. Edi Graf who owns the company is a true gentleman to deal with. I have run an E-Tac stock (weighs 950 grams) on my 7mm Rem 700 for culling duties and it is excellent. My son has had two PSE stocks on his T3s, the first a multipurpose and the second an E-lite with adjustable comb. They can be supplied glass bedded on a slave T3 action so that you just bolt it on and get shooting. In my opinion one of the very best T3 upgrades on the market.

A23D64BC-5F91-47F3-BFC9-4804ABE7C895.jpeg
511B56F9-AD90-4715-ADEB-936E5BE7EE06.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,