Tika T3 6.55 x 55

lucstrydom

Reaction score
Hi all, im looking at buying a Tika T3 6.55 x 55 , does anyone know anything about this rifle? What do you guys think that I'll be able to shoot with it? It's apparently very accurate even up to long distance which is something that i really like especially when hunting for game like Springbok or Impala.

The Tikka T3 is a fine rifle, the 6.5 x 55 is my go to caliber for deer size animals. In order to get all that is possible out of a 6.5 x 55 you need to reload for it. That being said you can purchase Norma ammunition that is much hotter than most loads from U. S. manufacturers, with the exception of Hornady Superformance utilizing their 140 Gr SST bullet.

6.5X55 will do anything a 243, 7-08, 6mm Rem, 7X57, etc will do. It MAY even do it a little bit better because longer, heavier bullets typically = better penetration.

Tikkas: My son has 2, they are great guns!

Just be aware that some of the 139/140 grain projectiles, e.g. Hornady Interlock, were designed for use in magnum rifles and may punch straight through when used on red deer size game. If in doubt, ask the manufacturer.

True story, some years ago I was talking with the fellow on the other side of the LGS counter, and we got to talking about the Tikka. I was really looking for something else but he kept talking Tikka. I finally said yeah I could see having one in 6.5 Swede to which he replied, "well Tikka doesn't chamber the Swede"o_O. So I says to him, says I, "sure they do, look it up":rolleyes:. He did, faced turned a bit of a crimson shade, gulp!:oops: "why yes, yes they do", sayeth he. He was somewhat younger than me and I cut him a little slack and said, hey we cant none of us know everything. I still haven't owned a Tikka but by most accounts they are a fine rifle and the Swede an underrated round:D. My dad was a big fan and extolled its ballistic capabilities endlessly(y).

I built my last rifle in 6.5x57 which is a balistic equivelent of the 6.5x55 (but way cooler :whistle:) These 6.5's have about the perfect case volume for the bore size and will do it all in the medium game field with the right bullets. 140gn privi bullet at 2800fps in mine or the 120gn ttsx at 2950 makes for a formidable little performer and I am very sure that with a good 160gn bullet it would surprise very few with its capabilities.

6.5X55 will do anything a 243, 7-08, 6mm Rem, 7X57, etc will do. It MAY even do it a little bit better because longer, heavier bullets typically = better penetration.

Tikkas: My son has 2, they are great guns!

Do you think that I'll be able to shoot Springbok, imapala, warthog and possibly even a Kudu ?

I've been involved with 6.5 swedes for over 20 years. IMHO, they do not deliver on terminal performance. Yes, they kill, and ballistics are pretty good with virtually nil recoil, but with most premium ammunition I have seen and experienced a broad range of underperformance, and in general leading to dead running game.

IMHO, look at the 7mm class of chamberings instead and don't use bullets deigned for hyper speed ultra mag class guns!

If one must shoot the 6.5x55, i would genuinely only consider the 140g partition unless shooting large game at very close range under 75yds, in which case the 156g class only just performs

Yes for sure. I bought a 6.5x55 in a Howa. My exuse was at home that my 14 year old needs a rifle . I shot numerous big Impala rams with it and he shot his first one on Monday. I also shot warthogs with it. I shoot the 140 grainers and like members mentioned on top it will work on all small to medium sized animals. Some farmers in the bushveld stipulate that 7mm is the smallest you may use. I do think they are not that well informed. They need to make a cut off, since people can arrive with .222,22-250,223,220 swift and .243 which is not exactly suitable for bushveld hunting. Tikkas are good rifles . Buy.

Ps, the t3's are excellent rifles and I'd buy them over most American offerings any day..that said, I'd prefer a classic rifle build on a small ring Mauser if I had to go 6.5. Husky's are a dime a dozen and you can probably find a nice one for silly money and rebarrel if needed. ..of buy a t3 off the shelf and live happily ever after,,If you're just into the hunting, most of the factory stuff is fine, if you also happen to care about the aesthetics of your gear, you may need to look elsewhere.

My CZ 6.5x55 has taken nilgai very cleanly.

You'll always find someone that doesn't care for a particular cartridge. I'd say the 6.5x55 is one of the more universally liked and respected cartridges there are.

I've sold a ton of Tikka's and shot a few. Their reputation for accuracy and good triggers is well deserved. I don't own any Tikka's for two two reasons, none of which have anything to do with their quality. First is I prefer a blind or hinged floor plate magazine, Tikka rifles have a DBM. DBM rifles seem to be the most popular today. Second is Tikka's have a very small ejection/loading port. The newest model, the T3x has a larger port but still it is smaller than what is on a Mauser 98. Remington 700, Winchester M70, Weatherby, etc. With a smaller port it is more difficult to single feed a round and harder to clear jams. On the plus side with a smaller port the receiver is more rigid which contributes to better accuracy.

As stated my reasons for not owning Tikka has to do with features and nothing to do with quality. They are outstanding rifles.

Do you think that I'll be able to shoot Springbok, imapala, warthog and possibly even a Kudu ?
I shot a lot in Europe until 80-100 kg class with 6,5
Absolute no problem.
It is (was) the military caliber in Sweden and cheap,thats the true reason for moose hunting with it.
When your moose cow or calf is comming at 50 m ok,would you do it on 200 m ?I would not do it.
For small plains game perfect.
This weight- class (pic below) is never a problem for your 6,5 when your bullet is going in the engine compartment.Sure you have joy with it.
Foxi
100_2374.jpg

Last edited:
Check out Nathan Foster's treatise of the 6.5 x 55 in his Knowledgebase http://www.ballisticstudies.com/
When properly loaded to take full advantage of its' capability the 6.5 x 55 is a killing machine. I took mine to Africa planning to use it on Impala sized game. With that being said, if I had encountered the Kudu of a lifetime and only had my hand loaded Swede available and the shot was unobstructed, perfectly broadside at 100 yards or less, I would have taken it. For animals the size of Kudu one should plan on using a more powerful rifle.

Dear lucstrydom
Best of luck with your decision making process.
It is clear that you considering a safari to Africa.
Enjoy the planning process since it forms a huge FUN and important part of your safari.
African greetings
Ansie

There's a saying in Sweden, always use a 6.5 for moose, that way they'll run all the way out to the road...or something like that. Lol.

I had a client out for his first red stag. Missed the first, poor shot with 2nd, missed the 3rd...arguably piss poor shooting despite being fine on paper targets...but now you have a travelling beast and no more rounds in the mag...

Imho-3 round mags just ain't enough, no matter how good you are, and especially true for DG or if you plan to take multiple beasts in a group/herd.

I have 4 family members shooting Tikkas in 6.5, they love them, I just roll my eyes every time they have to go and search for an animal...same poi, etc, just doesn't seem to happen with 7mm and 30cal, and on small deer species the 222, 223 and 243 are distinctly more efficient on terminal performance.

See the thing is, I still take the 6.5 out hunting, and yep, still get 2-3 times more dead running game, different species, different ammo, etc, all H/L shots of course,,but the trend, to me, is undeniable.

My 2 cents, get a 7x57 or 30-06, much better range if bullet weights and better performance on game.

Sure, 6.5 kills, but similar cartridges kill better, and that to me makes it an easy choice.

Tikka quality and accuracy as well as triggers, yep, undeniably good

I have no experience with the 6.5x55, so I won't comment on it.

But the Tikka T3's I do. The T3's are what they are to absolute perfection. You'll not find IMO a better functioning, more accurate or smoother action than what is offered at the price point. You give up only form and not a drop of function for the price.

As far as the detachable magazine goes. Load it up, put it in, put a round in the chamber. Then drop the magazine and top it off with another round and you have a fourth round. Perhaps just me, but if someone misses 3 times and presuming the animal is running away, I have little faith the fourth is going to connect.

There's a saying in Sweden, always use a 6.5 for moose, that way they'll run all the way out to the road...or something like that. Lol.

I had a client out for his first red stag. Missed the first, poor shot with 2nd, missed the 3rd...arguably piss poor shooting despite being fine on paper targets...but now you have a travelling beast and no more rounds in the mag...

Imho-3 round mags just ain't enough, no matter how good you are, and especially true for DG or if you plan to take multiple beasts in a group/herd.

I have 4 family members shooting Tikkas in 6.5, they love them, I just roll my eyes every time they have to go and search for an animal...same poi, etc, just doesn't seem to happen with 7mm and 30cal, and on small deer species the 222, 223 and 243 are distinctly more efficient on terminal performance.

See the thing is, I still take the 6.5 out hunting, and yep, still get 2-3 times more dead running game, different species, different ammo, etc, all H/L shots of course,,but the trend, to me, is undeniable.

My 2 cents, get a 7x57 or 30-06, much better range if bullet weights and better performance on game.

Sure, 6.5 kills, but similar cartridges kill better, and that to me makes it an easy choice.

interesting what you say.
Next year its the 40th year of hunting in my life.
And when I say hunting, I dont mean once in a month,3-4 times a week its normal.
6,5 visited me mostly all the four decades,and I swear you ,when a shot(caliber ,bullet what ever) doesn't kill quick ,at latest after the 5th animal I would bring the gun or caliber to the rest rooms.

A retired German PH I know ,who had to protect one of the biggest hunting concessions in the German speaking part of Europe , 19.000 ha in her own in Austria/Steiermark(the famous Flick property).
They had to shoot 100 trophy red stags !!! every year and his boss used 6,5x57 until 250m and up until 350m,sometimes 400m 6,5x68.
Over decades with best results.
Regards
Foxi

Last edited:

Sorry, but I own 2 Tikka T3 Lite SS, one in 6.5 x 55 SE and the other in .30-06 Springfield. I also own a Tikka T3X Lite SS in .243 Winchester. My go to is the 6.5 x 55 SE and have not had to track any animals when using the right load and aiming for the proper spot. Maybe your family members need a little more practice shooting in the proper location on the animal. Don't blame the weapon or the caliber, it's always the shooter!

My Tikka T3 Lite SS w/ Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40mm BDC scope:
mypictures506.jpg

My big game load with 140 gr Hornady SSTs, I have another one with Woodleigh 140 gr PPRNs:
mypictures503.jpg

My Heavy game load with Woodleigh 160 gr PPRNs:
mypictures504.jpg

The little black Russian taken in the right eye (frontal shot @ 25 ft) with 160 gr PPRN (dropped on the spot):
mypictures001.jpg

Caribou number one taken with Hornady 140 gr SST (dropped on the spot):
Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20061_zps6sgycstd.jpg

Caribou number 2 taken with Hornady 140 gr SST (also dropped on spot within 20 feet of nmuber 1):
Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20059_zpsxzettxjc.jpg

If magazine capacity is a problem due to piss poor shooting, get more practice or get a couple extras and load them in your pockets. Good luck, stay safe, and good hunting!

P.S. Yes, I would use the 6.5 x 55 SE on a Kudu with the 160 gr PPRN load and a distance not to exceed 200 yds. That load will meet and in some cases exceed a .30-06 180 gr load due to the high BC of the 6.5 gr bullets. However, you must know your capabilities as a shooter, the cartridge, and weapon.

Attachments

• Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20059_zpsxzettxjc.jpg
    Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20059_zpsxzettxjc.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 432
  • Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20061_zps6sgycstd.jpg
    Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20061_zps6sgycstd.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 290
  • mypictures001.jpg
    mypictures001.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 317
  • mypictures503.jpg
    mypictures503.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 297
  • mypictures504.jpg
    mypictures504.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 292
  • mypictures506.jpg
    mypictures506.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 369
Point was not about my family and their shooting skills, which are excellent, my ref was to a client and his poor 1st shot, leading to a poor actual shot but hit on the 2nd, and how with a 3 round mag that situation wasn't ideal for him saving his ass. I had to step in and drop the beast with a running chest shot at already reaching 300 yds, fortunately it worked out that day.

However, I believe the important part is getting it right first time and ensuring one has the skills to do just that, I agree, don't get me wrong there.

Where I shoot, taking up to 3 or 4 deer from a group is not abnormal, so a three round limitation isn't attractive got that application. For some applications, hell, a single shot rifle might be up for the job.

You mention proper shot placement, to me that's heart/lung, through shoulder to H/L if required. I hope to you, based on those pictures, proper shot placement isn't in the eye and in the spine! No wonder the beasts dropped on the spot, that always happens.

To me proper shot placement is in the vitals, and my experience with 6.5's, with many bullets and ranges, is exactly that of underperformance in comparison to other relatively similar alternatives.
There's no doubt the trick to satisfactory performance in the 6.5x55 is hand loading and very careful attention to bullet choice and placement relative to species shot..More so than its close relatives..

Again, just my opinion based on using and observing close to 20 years of 65x55 on beasts from fox through the largest red stags, bullet placement in the vitals. Did many beasts 'drop' on the spot? Yes, but a lot more have had long dead runs,,there's nothing wrong with that on open ground and or if you gave a great tracking dog..I just believe there are alternatives which drop game with more authority without giving up on ballistics or increasing recoil much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber