Tiger fishing info

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey guys just looking for some basic knowledge on this stuff. The wife and I are booked to go hunt with Dalton&York safaris in early July 2023. The wife doesn't really hunt but she is all about some fishing. We will be hunting in Omay North and camping on lake Kariba. I want to get the wife a nice 3 piece travel rod and reel that is appropriate for tiger fishing. I extended the trip from a 10 day to a 12 day just so we could have a little extra time to do some fishing and I expect that she will go out and fish with the apprentice PH on a few days while I'm hunting as well. I know they will have fishing equipment but I wanted to get her something of her own and make this a little like her own "fishing safari" as well, you know how it is, nobody likes to hunt with some body else's gun and these guys specialize in hunting and not fishing so i don't know the extent of thier fishing gear. Any general info on tiger fishing technique, lures, equipment, fishing during July in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Will you be fishing Kariba or the Zambezi River ? The two areas are very different and have different techniques. The dam will need spinning/live bait or fishing a hook with a bunch of Kapenta (small sardine like fish). In the dam you can get into the trees and bays and spin or set up for ground baiting with kapenta. River usually consists of drifts along good areas of the river with fresh fish fillets or a torpedo (a whole small fish kind of turned inside out. So for tackle you will need strong trace wires about 6-12 inches long,plenty of spinners and fishing lures (if you dont mind losing a few). A heavy or medium heavy rod action and baitcaster reel are good for spinning. Get a beefier reel as tigerfish are like sea fish in their speed and power. Then a spinning reel and rod or baitrunner are good for drifts and live bait fishing. If you only want to bring one rod and reel then spinning/baitrunner setup is probably going to cover it all. Everyone that you talk to will have a different setup but I use line between 20-30 lbs,monofilament cos it stretches. I will try and remember to take a pick of my tiger rod when I get home.

Excellent tips from Nhoro what ever hooks you put on make sure they are extremely sharp and strong the inner mouth cavity of a tiger is hard.

Gotcha. We will be staying on the Ume so I would say we would be fishing the actual lake and not the river. Possibly up by the dam but I would bet mainly out on the lake.

Ok so you will likely be spinning or will put out kapenta on an unweighted or slightly weighted hook. It is also worthwhile to put out some livebait at the same time or do some trawling behind the boat. If you had to bring just one rod and reel, I would suggest a spinning setup and then borrow/hire other rods from your PH. If your wife gets bored easily then a baitcaster setup and working the trees while putting a few livebaits out should produce some results. July is pretty cold (relatively speaking) for Tiger fishing, traditionally the serious fisherman operate around October when the temps are 40 deg Celsius so be prepared to work hard for fish. I have to confess I am an enthusiast rather than a skillful fisherman. I tend to get distracted by the cooler box and spinning a yarn with my friends !

We use spinners that look like the below, size No3, which will have a 5/0 or 6/0 short shank hook on them. Buy some titanium trace, 20 or 30lb too. On the line size I would go no heavier than 20lb or it gets hard to cast. Rod around 8ft, reel Shimano baitrunner 4000 is plenty.

6D8285F7-CF1E-4BFC-89FD-EBAA6D784502.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin has done Tiger tournament for more than 10 yrs (maybe 20 +) Give him some encouragement and i am sure you can get some more info from him.

Otherwise if you supply the cooler box, I will come and dispense free advise and fishing tips-anything to help a friend in need !

We use spinners that look like the below, size No3, which will have a 5/0 or 6/0 short shank hook on them. Buy some titanium trace, 20 or 30lb too. On the line size I would go no heavier than 20lb or it gets hard to cast. Rod around 8ft, reel Shimano baitrunner 4000 is plenty.

View attachment 420119

A good and very effective setup described by Kevin here.
Mepps spinners have always been my go to on the lake. Coupled with a good supply of fresh capenta to entice those deep bodied hydrocynus vittatus of the lake. Never think you have to many trace either, especially on that lake...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin has done Tiger tournament for more than 10 yrs (maybe 20 +) Give him some encouragement and i am sure you can get some more info from him.

Otherwise if you supply the cooler box, I will come and dispense free advise and fishing tips-anything to help a friend in need !
This is my 31st year! Never won it though, but always enjoy it with the kids too, they are far better than I am...

Put a little square of belly tiger or bream on the hooh, about 15mm square, no more. You will get lots of zooks from that.

My old rod is in the attached pic. Size 4 reel and 6 ft 6 rod. I had to measure it because the rod details have worn off. Baitrunner and the same rod would be great for live bait and kapenta. When the first tiger bites and takes off, you will have the time of your life. If you gave a bass steroids and then added nitrous, it might come close.

20210826_182229.jpg

As I also tend to be relaxing in my seat being captain and keeping an eye on the cool box....I will call on @PeteG zambias self confessed best fisherman to assist here..........
Is tiger fish a type of bream? :LOL:

the info above is a great starting point. In terms of tackle.
20lb mono or braid whichever you prefer. I prefer mono.
Medium heavy rod in the 6’6” range. I like a one piece for tiger fish.
a spinning reel similar to a bait runner in the 4000 range. Alternatively, based on my preference and use, I gravitate towards a shimano Calcutta 400 as I have learnt how to cast it well. The ratchet also makes for a great sound when a tiger hits.
spinners as above. Add in a few of the larger effzet’s. From what I recall there isn’t a great deal of lure fishing in kariba so I’d stick with spinning and bait fishing.
Not sure I can add anything more to the comments above, seems all has been covered adequately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois