Tiger Fish Fly Fishing - Lower Zambezi?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Just curious if anyone here has undertaken this activity? Anyone tried it with spey or switch tackle?

I was going to try it with a full sink skagit line on a switch 7wt rod. Was going to try deceivers and clousers with piano wire bite guards.

Am I off base? Any tips? Is it true I want to fish in the flows at a depth of around 8'? Time of year will be July so I'm assuming muddy, poor visibility and slower flow on the Zambezi than later in the year?

Live bait has to be one of the best things to use for big tigers.

HAHA, I knew that was coming, will post you some full details on fly rig set up later. My brother in law is a pro fly fishing guide.

July is the best time for flyfishing on the Zambezi the clarity is exceptional and the baitfish congregate in bait balls that get smashed by the Tigers! I would recommend a 9 wt with rio clouser line or a similar di 9 line to get flies deep! Clousers sf baitfish and flashy profiles work well! Where are you going on Zambezi?

I'll be on the lower Zambezi near Mana Pools. I was told that area of the river doesn't get very hot for Tiger Fish until Sept-Nov of the year? The July action is supposed to be in the Upper Zambezi?

I'd love to be wrong on this since I'm just regurgitating what I've been told by others.

I got a 7wt switch rod for the trip with a full sink line and a bunch of sink tips so I could really get down to the fish. If you don't know what a switch rod is (it's an American thing), its a two handed rod like a spey rod that is very easy to cast with big flies. A 7wt spey or switch rod handles like a 9-10 wt single handed rod. Unlike two handed Spey rods, a switch rod can be cast overhead like a one handed rod when necessary for the job at hand.

My biggest concern was screwing up my hunt by overfishing and causing shoulder and back issues. Thus, I thought a switch rod would let me two hand roll cast which is much easier, and it would let me use much heavier sinking heads to get the flies down to the toothy fish.

No idea if this was a good idea or not and no professional fly fishing guide in Africa came up with any of this, I did. TBD.

I think you are on the right track if physical issues are a concern. In my opinion (only based on atlantic salmon and steelhead) the switch rod should be fine. As you say it handles much bigger fish than a standard 7wt. My biggest Atlantic is 43in. and that was on a 7wt switch. Had no trouble

I'm very envious of you. I went up to the Miramichi and the Cains river and we had no luck. 14 guys for a week two years ago in July and no salmon, kelts, grilse, stripers or sea trout. Total bust.

Hardest fishing I've ever done for the least reward.

Yeah it's not what it used to be, the last few years have been terrible up there. Sept/oct would have probably given you a better chance. I went late June once and had the same experience. We ended up fishing smaller rivers to get native brookies. If you decide to go for them again Nova Scotia would give you a better chance especially in the summer. They have multiple rivers doing very well. Much better scenery too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg