Tiger attack deaths rise to 17, Pilibhit villagers lament they have been left to be killed

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
The death toll of tiger victims in Pilibhit this year has gone up to 17 — the highest in a decade, and villagers are now complaining of government apathy.

A day after the partly-eaten body of a woman was found inside the Pilibhit Tiger Reserve (PTR) and the victim was confirmed to have died in a tiger attack, forest officials started an ‘awareness campaign’ in the areas around the reserve.

The campaign entails asking people to stay away from the PTR forest, which remains unfenced.

With tiger attack being confirmed as the cause of death in the post-mortem report, the death toll of big cat victims in Pilibhit this year has gone up to 17 — the highest in a decade. Of the total toll, two deaths occurred this week. Sources said the campaign was launched to lay off some heat from back-to-back deaths.

Divisional forest officer (DFO) PTR Adarsh Kumar said, “Six teams of PTR visited nearby villages and organised awareness camps. The people were provided pamphlets with information about tigers and ways to prevent a big cat attack.”

Forest officials said they had decided to cover at least 12 villages located near PTR every day.

“It has been observed that the chances of a tiger entering human habitat increases during winters. We plan to alert the people about tiger movement in advance,” Kumar said.

According to official data, 256 villages are located within a 500m distance of the boundary of the reserve. Residents of these villages gather firewood, medicinal plants and wild fruits from the forest. “It is next to impossible to prevent villagers from entering the forest without providing alternate means to avail of these things,” said Hemraj Verma, former MLA from Pilibhit.

Meanwhile, villagers complain of administrative and government apathy. “We were promised jobs and monetary compensation when the forest was declared a reserve in 2014. But the government has not done anything. We have been left to suffer and be killed by tigers,” lamented Sadiq Khan, a panchayat member of Daga village.

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...o-be-killed/story-YjvGYuiDe61IAe1djjpx8O.html

Should anyone be surprised when the obvious happens?

I know what I would do if I lived near this place, law or no law. And if as a result you called me a poacher, well, I could live with that.

I know what I would do if I lived near this place, law or no law. And if as a result you called me a poacher, well, I could live with that.
I suspect these folks are lucky to have a knife let alone a decent rifle. But what you suggest is exactly what is going to happen in BC with grizzlies. As their population grows and fear recedes, human / grizzly confrontations are going to increase.

the rural rule. SSS. Shoot Shovel Shutup

Over population and no buffer zone around the reserve. Not much planning there.

Sad thing about poverty is that you will do desperate things to feed yourself and your family.
Enter the reserve you take your chances.

India will overtake China as the most populous country on Earth in 6 years. Doesn't leave much room for the big cats. ......................FWB

India will overtake China as the most populous country on Earth in 6 years. Doesn't leave much room for the big cats. ......................FWB
India should implement a limit on child bearing, like China did. In a poverty stricken country like India, bringing children into the world, when you can't afford to feed them, is mind boggling to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.