Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, RSA (Limpopo, Eastern Cape), Zimbabwe (Omay North X 2, Dande Safari Area, Dande East), Botswana
Has anyone used the Thuraya sat phone sleeve for an iPhone? They supposedly have a sleeve and antenna that converts your iPhone into a Sat phone, but the coverage is limited to the eastern hemisphere, and it looks like the coverage map is iffy in Botswana and Zimbabwe, non-existent south of there. Neat concept, but I don't want to be the guinea pig ....

Shakey,

I just went on their website and it looks interesting. Please be the guinea pig. I would like to know how it works.

I have not tried one out but it does sound like an idea.

It may be available to work anywhere, but ... the charges when it links to someone else's satellite can jump the charges up to $8.00 per minute. Well worth it to save you life, but checking in at home might be a little much.

I would certainly like that coverage map cleaned up a bit before I threw the $500 in for the unit.

Cool idea though.

shakey i dont know where you are going in zim or bots, but i have a thuraya xt and have used it on the zim shores of lake kariba, and on the lower zambezi in zambia, so i would have thought it would be ok down to northern/central zim as long as conditions were good, no cloud high winds etc. some of the zim/bots people should have an idea how well they work. as far as i know they arent compatible with other sat systems, so they dont link to other sat systems. as you said its europe, most of africa and asia/australia that is covered only. try googling thuraya coverage maps, as some clearer ones can be seen with the boundaries easier to judge. if the sleeve for the iphones works as well as the straight thuraya phone it will be good. the only thing i have found is you have to make sure the antenna is pointing in the direction of the satellite ( NE to NNE in africa, as its over the arabian gulf) to get the best signal/reception. if you start wandering around it fluctuates, and thats harder not to do than you might think...i have used thuraya phones for about 7 years and found the system good, but we are just in the main zone in zambia .

........ as far as i know they arent compatible with other sat systems, so they dont link to other sat systems. ......

Just a computer geek review of the technology that intimated that it might be a possibility. It is something that could likely change with a contract signing and I would check out before spending.

It is certainly interesting technology.

shakey i dont know where you are going in zim or bots, but i have a thuraya xt and have used it on the zim shores of lake kariba, and on the lower zambezi in zambia, so i would have thought it would be ok down to northern/central zim as long as conditions were good, no cloud high winds etc. some of the zim/bots people should have an idea how well they work. as far as i know they arent compatible with other sat systems, so they dont link to other sat systems. as you said its europe, most of africa and asia/australia that is covered only. try googling thuraya coverage maps, as some clearer ones can be seen with the boundaries easier to judge. if the sleeve for the iphones works as well as the straight thuraya phone it will be good. the only thing i have found is you have to make sure the antenna is pointing in the direction of the satellite ( NE to NNE in africa, as its over the arabian gulf) to get the best signal/reception. if you start wandering around it fluctuates, and thats harder not to do than you might think...i have used thuraya phones for about 7 years and found the system good, but we are just in the main zone in zambia .

Thanks! I have a request into Explorer Satellite to see what they say - recommend. Northern Zim seems to be covered well, but Botswana appears to be iffy.

Just a computer geek review of the technology that intimated that it might be a possibility. It is something that could likely change with a contract signing and I would check out before spending.

It is certainly interesting technology.

you must go through the small print... i dont have a contract just a prepaid sim and then top up with my airtime supplier when i need. which reminds me i had better get some bought for next month.

you must go through the small print... i dont have a contract just a prepaid sim and then top up with my airtime supplier when i need. which reminds me i had better get some bought for next month.

Hiding out on that little island separates you from the world.

Over here, if you cruise near the border with a mobile and your device decides (all on its own) to grab the nearest tower, which happens to be across the border, you get to pay some incredible charges that make your bill look like you had a very successful trophy hunt. So, I do look for those little idiosyncrasies of technology that can cost you money.

A few tales to make you cringe. This is also just on a mobile. NOT the topic sat phone model.
(The current version of the OPs technology does not do data. It is coming)

iPhone Data Roaming Horror Stories

i know those horror stories, its even happened to people from here who went out to the big world :p thats one reason why my mobile is used for txts, phone calls and photos, forget the rest of it far too technical, but at least my technophobia saves money...;) when they were 1st putting the mobile system in over here and the towers werent all sorted your phone used to lock onto the french systems, but that was when a mobile phone was proper and only made phone calls!!!!!:tongue::laughing: the prepaid sim is for the sat phone, i am up to speed on certain things and do have a contract for my mob phone :acclaim:

I just did some checking on them, they are currently only available for iPhone 4/4S. There are none available for rent. Current purchase price is $613US, Activation charge of $30 and then $17/month. Depending on where the call is placed from it is either .80c/min or $4.60/min. These locations are listed on their website. They are currently working on a deal to get coverage in North America. Once that happens I think I will have to pick one up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg