Thumbhole stocks for heavy hitters?

PAoutlaw

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, PA Federation of Black Powder Shooters
Friends, I am finally just about ready to pull the trigger on a rifle for Buffs and have a few questions for those who have been there. I am trying to decide between a .458 Win and a .375 H&H but am leaning toward the .458 with a good recoil pad and a recoil reducer in the stock. Now for the question that I have, has anyone used or seen used a laminate wood thumbhole stock on these heavy hitters? I have fired guns from the .22 LR to a .338 Win with this style stock and also 12 Gauge slug guns and .50 cal inline muzzleloaders shooting 150 grn of powder with a 300 grn tip. I mention this only to show that I have used these stocks more than once or twice. I have become accustomed to the fit and feel of this style stock and am wondering if it would be a mistake to drop a heavy hitting rifle into it for any reason. Did any company ever sell a rifle like this? Any opinions would be appreciated, Thank You.

I have never seen one. Lots of 458's in doubles with english stocks.
No clue about negatives of your stock choice.

Also have never seen one with a thumb hole stock.

I would suggest you talk to a rifle stock maker to see what there thought are.

If laminated wood or synthetic it should be OK, but real wood especially highly figured wood might be a problem. Like James says, talk to a stockmaker.

The recoil would play havoc with the thumb through the hole I reckon! In 20 years of PH'ing, I've never seen one on a big caliber!
What I do like on custom made stocks is a nice 'palm swell'...it really makes the gun feel great!

If laminated wood or synthetic it should be OK, but real wood especially highly figured wood might be a problem. Like James says, talk to a stockmaker.

+1

I have been asked the same question by a lot of guys that like there muzzleloader thumbhole stock. I bought a after market thumbhole stock for my 325 WSM and love it!

I've always heard that heavy magnum calibers easily exceed the amount of recoil your thumb joint can take, and in a DG hunting situation they can slow down the handling of the gun.. But I suppose nothing is stopping you from giving it a try if you have very strong thumbs. :)

I fired a 3 inch 12 pistol shotgun (no buttstock) when I was younger and stronger. Felt like my thumb was removed from the rest of my body. I'm not sure the web of the thumb is the best place to absorb recoil.

It must depend on the person. My brother has one on his shotgun for sabot shooting and 300 Win Mag...we both like them very much.

It must depend on the person. My brother has one on his shotgun for sabot shooting and 300 Win Mag...we both like them very much.

Recoil always depends on the person.

Does his shotgun have a buttstock as well? The one I shot didn't and all the recoil was through the pistol grip, so that is a lot of recoil on the thumb. The reason I mention it is that too much recoil in that area is painful, and will cause you a lot more problems than a sore shoulder. Stocks with a pistol grip are very comfortable up to a point; I'm not sure what that point is, but after you reach it, you probably don't want one on the rifle.

I'm not a real fan of the thumb hole stocks. It's up to the shooter & their preference. I never seen one on a big caliber- but i would think it would probably be a bit uncomfortable!

Bert

Single shot and double shotgun pistols. in 12 & 20 gauge.
The barrel cut off at 12 inches was best and then will need to rifled grove the barrel to make it legal, (BATF -You need to cut some groves in the barrel) preferably with installed Choke tubes. Stock cut off and reshaped into a nice pistol grip. modify the pistol grip until it shoot where you are looking. bondo or tape will work or if you are good with wood make your own grip portion. I helped make a few of these. they work great and shoot real good.

Do not use any shotgun actions that have a top lever to open the action on the pistol... This caused havoc on your thumb and joint and skin area. One shot will open things right up. Also the hammer guns were best for safety reasons.

You need a side lever or under button action to make a smooth combine pistol for shooting pheasants and grouse. Go to the pattern board to see what choke tube you need to have in place for the range you are shooting. Usually 10 yards maybe 15 yards as you pass by.

Also makes a great coyote, fox and bobcat gun while on a snowmobile.

Recoil always depends on the person.

Does his shotgun have a buttstock as well? The one I shot didn't and all the recoil was through the pistol grip, so that is a lot of recoil on the thumb. The reason I mention it is that too much recoil in that area is painful, and will cause you a lot more problems than a sore shoulder. Stocks with a pistol grip are very comfortable up to a point; I'm not sure what that point is, but after you reach it, you probably don't want one on the rifle.

Yes, Bert..ours have buttstocks attacked.

Stocks for a list of after market thumbholes available.

I would never use a thumb hole stock on anything over a 300 mag. On a really heavy hitter it will dislocate you thumb, and or hyperextend your thumb and bruise the web of your hand. No, no,no!

Ed

Just spoke to my gunsmith (who builds custom long range rifles, and has orders for tactical and sniper rifles from law enforcement and military shooters) concerning the thumbhole stock on a .458 Win Mag, and in his opinion a thumbhole stock would be good if you were someone who is used to shooting it. A thumbhole stock or pistol grip stock, which is what is used on the big .50 BMG rifles, generally helps a person pull the rifle into their shoulder, which helps with felt recoil. Also the recoil doesn't come back into your thumb, it comes back into the palm of your hand and straight into your arm helping you to control the recoil. Also if you look at it from a support and strength point of veiw, how can you support more weight, with your hand straight or with it bent forward like it is on a conventional stock? Also, he estimates that over 90% of the .338 Lappua Mags that he builds are on thumbhole stocks or pistol grip stocks. Not to upset anyone or say that the conventional stocks are not as good, this is just the info that I got from my gunsmith, now just to talk to stockmakers to see what they have to say. Richard's Microfit Gunstocks from California has one listed for the CZ 550 in 375-458 class. When I get the gun and fit the stock I will post pics and a report on how it shoots and how the handling is. Thank You for all the replies to my questions and if anyone has any more comments, feel free to state them I'm open to all suggestions. Thank you, Vince

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg