Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
top two are the commerical swedish 640 rifles in 8x57 and the bottom rifles is a custom 9.3x62 built of a military 98 mauser action.
DSCN1224.JPG
DSCN1225.JPG
DSCN1228 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
top two are the commerical swedish 640 rifles in 8x57 and the bottom rifles is a custom 9.3x62 built of a military 98 mauser action.
Lucky man, great looking rifles i wish i could find those type of Mausers, very rare now in Australia a lot were destroyed by the government in the late 1990s i n the F***** stupid gun buy back, do not let that happen in the USA !.

update on the three rifles, the two 8x57,s checked out ready to fire, not so the 9.3x62. a factory 9.3x62 norma round would not chamber, so down to my work shop with it. it turns out the rifle was factory chambered in 9x57 and not the 9.3x57, when it was rechambered into 9.3x62 the bore was 9mm, not 9.3 and it would not chamber a 9.3x62 .366 bullet. as i have quite a few die sets(over a hundred), i pulled the norma .366 bullets from the norma factory cases and neck sized the 9.3x62 cases in a 35 whelen size die and returned the powder charge 57 grs and seated 225 gr sierra spbt bullets and a few 200 rnsp bullets to try out. i,ll post when i get to try them out.

update on the three rifles, the two 8x57,s checked out ready to fire, not so the 9.3x62. a factory 9.3x62 norma round would not chamber, so down to my work shop with it. it turns out the rifle was factory chambered in 9x57 and not the 9.3x57, when it was rechambered into 9.3x62 the bore was 9mm, not 9.3 and it would not chamber a 9.3x62 .366 bullet. as i have quite a few die sets(over a hundred), i pulled the norma .366 bullets from the norma factory cases and neck sized the 9.3x62 cases in a 35 whelen size die and returned the powder charge 57 grs and seated 225 gr sierra spbt bullets and a few 200 rnsp bullets to try out. i,ll post when i get to try them out.
@leslie hetrick
What a bummer. Hope your solution works out.

if it works out, i will have a 9x62 instead of a 9.3x62. alot like a 35 whelen, the 9.3x62 case is a little fatter than the 35 whelen, but not by much and 35 cal bullets are all over the place here. if it had been made in 9x57 a rechamber to 35 whelen would have been easy, tho i think i would have left it in 9x57 a very good woods caliber. i paid 1200.usd for the three rifles.

after reloading 12 norma 9.3x62 cases, by first pulling the .366 bullets and putting the powder in small pans, i took the expander stem from the 35 whelen FL sizing die, lubed the 9.3x62 case neck and ran it into the die alittle at a time, checking the case in the rifle untill they would chamber with no problems. after putting the original powder back in the cases i seated .358 sierra 225 gr spbt bullets in them. they all fed from the magizine fired-ejected without any hitches, i hit 4x6" clods of dirt at 65 yards offhand with them. the next reloads will be fired from a bench for accurecy and cronied for fps. i feel i got a very nice rifle for the money and with a little work a nice woods rifle.

well i put my 35x62 on paper and shot just a hair under 1.5" three shot group at 100 yards. the speed was alittle over 2600 fps and no signs of pressure at all. load was the 57 grs original norma powder and sierra 235 gr spbt. now that i know its safe to load for i,ll work up a load to hunt with.
DSCN1247.JPG
DSCN1244.JPG
DSCN1242.JPG
DSCN1243.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
well i put my 35x62 on paper and shot just a hair under 1.5" three shot group at 100 yards. the speed was alittle over 2600 fps and no signs of pressure at all. load was the 57 grs original norma powder and sierra 235 gr spbt. now that i know its safe to load for i,ll work up a load to hunt with.
Leslie, so what you have is a 9mm on a 9.3x62 case ? using 35 cal projectiles?

yes thats what i have, loading it is no big deal. who ever had it chambered thought it was a 9,3x57 and rechambered to 9,3x62, but it was a 9x57 and rechamber it to a 9.3x62. you couldn,t even close the bolt with a factory 9.3x62. so the rifle just set with out being fired untill i bought it. the work done on it is very good(blue-stock-metal), so it was a rebarrel or try to get it shooting. i have been loading with 35 whelen dies, and .35 cal bullets, sizing the neck just enough to hold the bullet solidly. i will need a fl sizing die in 9.3x62 size the whole case after a few fireings. i though it would be a shame to just let it set. in the future i may rebarrel it as i don,t think any one would buy it the way it sets today. ps it keeps me out of the bars.

yes thats what i have, loading it is no big deal. who ever had it chambered thought it was a 9,3x57 and rechambered to 9,3x62, but it was a 9x57 and rechamber it to a 9.3x62. you couldn,t even close the bolt with a factory 9.3x62. so the rifle just set with out being fired untill i bought it. the work done on it is very good(blue-stock-metal), so it was a rebarrel or try to get it shooting. i have been loading with 35 whelen dies, and .35 cal bullets, sizing the neck just enough to hold the bullet solidly. i will need a fl sizing die in 9.3x62 size the whole case after a few fireings. i though it would be a shame to just let it set. in the future i may rebarrel it as i don,t think any one would buy it the way it sets today. ps it keeps me out of the bars.
Leslie, thinking about this rechambering job on this rifle, 9x57 to 9.3x62 the neck of the chamber would be too big for a 358 cal bullet v 366 dia bullet or am i wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross