Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Three Horn African Animals

One of our members ScottL posted these pictures a few weeks ago of this three horned bushbuck hunted in Limpopo in the Unusual Trophies of the photo gallery which I wanted to share here in the hunting forum.

Personally I am always intrigued by unusual or abnormal trophies and this one is particularly cool.

watermark.php

Pictures of the 3 horned Limpopo Bushbuck taken with Numzaan Outfitters in 2008. The "floating horn" on the nose of this bush buck is occasionally seen in it's cousin, the Kudu, but to our knowledge this is the first one ever reported on a Bushbuck. The floating horn has been groomed down from rubbing and the end of this broken horn was polished smooth.

watermark.php

This is a close up photo of the third "floating horn" which was on the Limpopo Bushbuck from our 2008 trip with Numzaan Outfitters in South Africa. This and all of our 16 plains game trophies (Zebra, Waterbuck, Impala, Black Wildebeest, Blesbuck, Gemsbuck, Springbok and Nyala) were all taken with our mighty little .260 Remington using the Barnes TSX bullet (no backup shots required from the PH on any animals either, to both our surprise and I think his) after our larger rifle was held up in Customs.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that. An old friend of mine whom I hunted with in Namibia shot a kudu bull with the floating horn on the bridge of the nose as mentioned.

... That is very interesting! I never heard of that before. That certainly would make a nice conversation piece as that's a one in a million Bushbuck!!

Three horned Greater Kudu...

Here is a three horned Greater Kudu hunted in Namibia...

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Two other three horned Greater Kudu...

Three horned Greater Kudu hunted in Tanzania with PH christophe morio.

Greater Kudu with a third horn...
Kudu shot in Tanzania, in Selous game reserve. Look the 3rd horn!!!! funny! The third is "floating" on the muzzle, which means that it is not attached to the skull but emanates from the skin. This third horn measures 4 cm in height and 3 cm in width. The magnificent kudu measures 52 inches which is remarkable for the Selous.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Three horned Greater Kudu hunted in South Africa by RickP.

The old boy had a third horn in the middle of his forehead... The greater kudu finally obtained on day 5 of the hunt.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Kudu must be more prone to having three horns than other species.

I also have a three horned Kudu taken four years ago in Namibia. I took it on a place about three hours north of Windhoek.

watermark.php

watermark.php

I shot this guy with a Winchester M1886 Extra Light Rifle chambered in 45-70 that was mfg. in 1898.
It was a high school graduation present from my parents.

Nice to see it on a mount... thanks for sharing ikeda!

Hey guys,

I am proud to say that I have also hunted a bull with three horns with a client a couple of years ago. Here is some pictures of the bull.

We had to offcourse shoot it on the highest hill/mountain in the area! :reyes:

Best regards,

Jacques

watermark.php

watermark.php

Looks good Jacques, thanks for sharing! Hope to see more...

Unique Kudu

Here is my 1st Kudu, its a little unique with the growth just above the chevron, starting to get back my 2011 animals, its great when u get them
back and on the wall, so far 4 back and another coming in a month or so...:cool:

watermark.php

watermark.php

On one part of the ranch we also occasionally shoot "3" horned kudu's as we refer to them, kudus that have a third small growth of horn material slightly above and between the eyes.

Look between the eyes above the v
watermark.php

watermark.php

This Vaal Rhebuck also wasted some effort trying to grow a horn out of his nose.

P1000798.jpg

Pronghorn antelope and bighorn sheep also occasionally grow third horns and they are also only attached to the skin.

Another three horned kudu taken at Rhinoster hoek a few days ago. Well worn, he certainly used his face a lot looking at the scarring.
20170619_163227[1].jpg
20170619_162958[2].jpg
20170619_162951[1].jpg

Another third horn kudu... Similar to other pictures here, my kudu also had a third horn. Taken in April 2017 in Limpopo SA. Incidentally also had 52" horns.

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg