Thoughts on the new production Browning BARs, specifically in Magnum chamberings?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
What's the general consensus on the latest Browning BAR rifles? I'm considering one in 338 WinMag. I've read that the larger chamberings like 338 WM had issues years ago but what about recent production?

Side note, I wish they offered big bore cartridge options for the BAR but 338 will have to do.

I was going to buy a 338 win mag a few years back. Probably 4. I shot the browning and benelli. I opted for the benelli r1 and have zero regrets. I dont dislike brownings but the benelli fit better and grouped better.

I had a old Browning BAR in 338 WM. My dad bought it around 1970. Never a bit of trouble and shot it alot during load development. Did one small repair on it. A plastic/nylon washer that served as a buffer in the action dried out, cracked and came apart. The action still worked, but it made a funny noise, so I pulled the forearm stock off and discovered the pieces/parts. Easy repair.

The Browning BARs have always had a great reputation, but I don't need an autoloader in a big thumper like a 338 WM. I had a Remington 742 in 30-06 and got rid of that too.

I was going to buy a 338 win mag a few years back. Probably 4. I shot the browning and benelli. I opted for the benelli r1 and have zero regrets. I dont dislike brownings but the benelli fit better and grouped better.
That was going to be my follow up question, any other semi autos that offer comparable cartridges?. Here in Canada the BAR and R1 are the only two that I'm aware of offering medium bore cartridge options.

Those are the only two manufacturers I'm aware of for a semi auto 338.

In terms of recoil, the intertia driven system really kills the recoil in the benelli. My 30-06 bolt kicks considerably harder in my opinion than the 338.

Those are the only two manufacturers I'm aware of for a semi auto 338.

In terms of recoil, the intertia driven system really kills the recoil in the benelli. My 30-06 bolt kicks considerably harder in my opinion than the 338.
I agree on the recoil comment. I used to own both an R1 in .338WM and a Browning A-Bolt in 30-06. The R1 definitely had less felt recoil to me. That said, I always thought that A-Bolt was a hard kicker for a 30-06.

I have no experience with BAR's in .338, but would expect it to recoil even less than the R1 due to being heavier and gas-operated. On a related note, I know that there have been at least a few BAR's converted to .458WM. I believe they start with a .338 and re-barrel it. Probably some gas system work involved too. Not sure what it would be good for, but I'll bet it would be fun.

I talked with the Browning rep at the 1985 NRA convention in Seattle regarding the discontinuance of the 338. He said the problem was that the rifles wouldn't "group" well enough (insufficient accuracy) but that they functioned fine.
A friend of mine had a BAR of late 70's vintage in 7 Mag. the scope was mounted quite low and occasionally an ejecting shell casing would hit the windage knob. the problem was solved by rotating the scope 90 degrees counter-clockwise, which was fine because the reticle was standard duplex- sighting in was a challenge, but otherwise it was a fine accurate reliable rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross