Thoughts on the 9.3 x 62 Mauser

The correct answer is it doesn’t meet legal minimums in any country that has them, but every PH we ever spoke with said to bring the 9.3, they’re excellent on buff. We’re hunting with WAB in August and I’m debating on taking my 9.3x74R.
Now that is an answer. Thankyou.

That is some darn good shooting you are doing there... guess I need more practise.

Thank you Rick,

While “normal” little boys in my neighborhood were learning how to “keep their eye on the ball”.
I was “that weird little boy” who stayed busy learning to keep my front sight in focus.
Others played their ball games at school and at home.
I shot air rifle in my back yard.
Until in my early teens, I couldn’t figure out (or care) how to bounce a basketball with one hand until forced to learn it by my gym teacher.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thank you Rick,
While “normal” little boys in my neighborhood were learning how to “keep their eye on the ball”.
I was “that weird little boy” who stayed busy learning to keep my front sight in focus.
Until in my early teens, I couldn’t figure out (or care) how to bounce a basketball with one hand until forced to learn it by my gym teacher.
Cheers,
Paul.

Sounds like we were twin sons of different mothers! :A Thumbs Up:

20190416_182622.jpg

My new Sako 85 9.3x62 is a good shooter! This is with factory loaded 286 gr Nosler Partitions @2450 fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a reason to think this? I'll run them over chrono tomorrow to verify.
Yes I bought some Nosler Safari and some Nosler Custom this winter. Safari is nickel brass and Custom is brass. Both shot 2250 fps. Very consistent but 200 fps under advertised vel. I contacted Nosler and they said could be a misprint on the label (2 diff labels?) or a diff batch of powder. (2 diff types of ammo?)

Il
Yes I bought some Nosler Safari and some Nosler Custom this winter. Safari is nickel brass and Custom is brass. Both shot 2250 fps. Very consistent but 200 fps under advertised vel. I contacted Nosler and they said could be a misprint on the label (2 diff labels?) or a diff batch of powder. (2 diff types of ammo?)
I'll definitely be curious to find out the real velocity. Either way, it doesn't really matter, as I plan to handload Swift A Frames for this rifle anyway. But, I was thinking of using these Noslers on Lion.

Il

I'll definitely be curious to find out the real velocity. Either way, it doesn't really matter, as I plan to handload Swift A Frames for this rifle anyway. But, I was thinking of using these Noslers on Lion.
I pulled all the rest of the bullets and reloaded them with my own load. I am getting 2550 fps with no pressure. I love this caliber and will go with me in 22 days.

New member here. I very recently acquired a Husqvarna FN 98 chambered in 9.3 x 62. Just curious as to your thoughts/feedback on this rifle/caliber combination.

View attachment 218993
It's a superb calibre that was the general purpose round of Africa until the 375HH came along. It was so good and downright dependable that Pondoro noted that not many people spoke about it much, as everyone knew it did it's job well every time. In power it is a bit short of the 375HH - but in a short action that's plenty enough for everything except the larger DG.

My brother is (now fast becoming "was") a 7mmWeatherby Mag man, since after using my FN Mauser 9.3x62, he now wants one!! Remember, this calibre made it"s reputation on 286gr RNSN - which is exactly what I'll be using (Woodleigh's) in June, when I go for eland, gemsbok and kudu in SA. Look out for the pics and report when I get back!! (y)

20190423_100757.jpg

Picked up some of the woodleigh 320gr that I want to try. Not sure if I can get them to regulate in my double but should be great bullet in a x62. Just need to finish a couple projects and spend some time at the range.

Timbo, if that is the 9.3 x 62 that your local cops tried to abscond with, I'm glad you got it back.
Thanks!! Yes it was!! The mate who bequeathed it to me has 3 sons who are all senior police officers over here. When I was told the rifle was missing, I called them up saying that the police station had 48hrs to get the rifle back (it was one of THIRTEEN firearms that were noted as missing!!), or I'd be going to the media. I got the rifle - albeit with every screw loose - in under 24hrs!!

Its a lovely rifle! The action has been lapped, and has a fixed 4x Pecar Belin scope on roll on-roll off mounts. Sprinter barrel with band, and with two identical stocks (the other is pristine and stays wrapped up). It came with 600 270gr projectiles, 200 Lapua brass and Custom Grade dies. My mate knew I loved this rifle, and though he never got to use it in Africa, as intended - I'm soon going to rectify this on his behalf. (y)

Last edited:
9.3x62 and it's brother the 9.3x74R are both superb cartridges mild in recoil and they are devastatingly effective with bullets of 286 gr or heavier. They kill much better than what the ballistics suggest.
+1

New member here. I very recently acquired a Husqvarna FN 98 chambered in 9.3 x 62. Just curious as to your thoughts/feedback on this rifle/caliber combination.

View attachment 218993
Great rifle.
9,3x62 is my favorite caliber for a dangerous game.

Great rifle.
9,3x62 is my favorite caliber for a dangerous game.
For NT water buffalo the 9.3x62 is often used by clients, and especially by those who are recoil sensitive. I'm thinking of going back, purely for the fun of the challenge in taking another buff with this lovely calibre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg