Thought on R8 rifle case within drop bottom duffel vs full size Pelican case

xbr897

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For my upcoming safari I will be taking my Blaser R8. For it, I have one of the Negrini hard cases with integrated locks. This case is much smaller than the typical Pelican rifle hard case so I've been able to find a rolling duffel bag that can accommodate the Negrini case. My plan is to lock the rifle case inside the duffel bag (without any other items in the duffel bag) to make it less obvious that is is a firearms case and to give a bit of extra protection. With reading of stories of possible intentional damage to rifle cases in LHR, being discrete seems like a good approach.

From reading https://www.britishairways.com/en-u...-essentials/liquids-and-restrictions#firearms , it notes that travelling to/from South Africa that the firearms must be in a separate locked case. Does that mean they would require the hardcase to be on it's own and not within the duffel bag? or just that I cannot also have any personal items in the duffel bag? If they're going to not allow the hard case to go within the rolling duffel then I'd be better off with a stronger pelican case than with the negrini case.

Overall I have ability to check 4 pieces of luggage to JNB so I don't have any worries around excess baggage charges. Only reason to have the rifle within the duffel to is to be more discrete and avoid risk of luggage handlers in LHR.

I would go with the Pelican myself.

For my upcoming safari I will be taking my Blaser R8. For it, I have one of the Negrini hard cases with integrated locks. This case is much smaller than the typical Pelican rifle hard case so I've been able to find a rolling duffel bag that can accommodate the Negrini case. My plan is to lock the rifle case inside the duffel bag (without any other items in the duffel bag) to make it less obvious that is is a firearms case and to give a bit of extra protection. With reading of stories of possible intentional damage to rifle cases in LHR, being discrete seems like a good approach.

From reading https://www.britishairways.com/en-u...-essentials/liquids-and-restrictions#firearms , it notes that travelling to/from South Africa that the firearms must be in a separate locked case. Does that mean they would require the hardcase to be on it's own and not within the duffel bag? or just that I cannot also have any personal items in the duffel bag? If they're going to not allow the hard case to go within the rolling duffel then I'd be better off with a stronger pelican case than with the negrini case.

Overall I have ability to check 4 pieces of luggage to JNB so I don't have any worries around excess baggage charges. Only reason to have the rifle within the duffel to is to be more discrete and avoid risk of luggage handlers in LHR.

This will not work on BA. They require a separate hard sided locked case for both the rifle and ammo. I might add that after just flying them over I highly recommend any other airlines. I spent almost 80 minutes at the Los Angeles BA business class counter for them to figure it out. On my return in Johannesburg, I spent 90 minutes at the BA business class counter because they could not figure out how to charge me for the weapon and could not get anyone in London to answer their phones.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BelleTjalk

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you