"Those" bush stories... and blank stares

Zambezi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia
A colleague who is an ex hunter told me the best story today... He is one of those who can't be told anything and also believes the sewer content that spews from his mouth...

Now I must admit that the following story may well be true, many things in this world still surprise me... but I think this tale belongs firmly in the BS pile....:rolleyes:

He was telling me that during the time that Rhodesia was still in existance a poacher appeared before the court for poaching an elephant. Nothing unusual there... The judge asked how he did it as all he was found with (besides the tusks) was a .22 short pistol. The story goes that he would get into position next to the trail and as the elephant walked past he would wait for the front foot to move forward and he would place the .22 short against the "soft" skin behind the leg and fire. This amazing projectile would enter the soft skin and reach the heart. Thereby killing the beast...o_O

I stared blankly... waiting for the punchline that never came...

Well after all shot placement is everything and the only thing....... :whistle:

Capstick recounted a tale in one of his books (can't remember which one) of an elephant being shot and killed with a single shot from a .22 to the heart.
If I remember correctly it was a fluke shot that went between the ribs and found it's way to the sweet spot.
The tale was told and obviously there was disbelief so they went out and did it again.
There was something about hitting certain arteries allowing the animal to bleed out.
I believe it has been done and perhaps more often than we know about.

Last edited:
Quoted:
He was telling me that during the time that Rhodesia was still in existance a poacher appeared before the court for poaching an elephant. Nothing unusual there... The judge asked how he did it as all he was found with (besides the tusks) was a .22 short pistol. The story goes that he would get into position next to the trail and as the elephant walked past he would wait for the front foot to move forward and he would place the .22 short against the "soft" skin behind the leg and fire. This amazing projectile would enter the soft skin and reach the heart. Thereby killing the beast..

@Zambezi,
The story has some documented grounds, although it was never proven which 22 caliber the poacher was using, and it was not pistol, but 22 cal rifle.
See attached entire research article on this event, in PDF, 3 pages in man magnum magazine, year 2003. (your friend was not BS^%^*)

Attachments

• ELE 1.pdf
    657.6 KB · Views: 96
  • ELE 2.pdf
    451.2 KB · Views: 89
  • ELE 3.pdf
    468.9 KB · Views: 60
Capstick recounted a tale in one of his books (can't remember which one) of an elephant being shot and killed with a single shot from a .22 to the heart.
If I remember correctly it was a fluke shot that went between the ribs and found it's way to the sweet spot.
The tale was told and obviously there was disbelief so they went out and did it again.
There was something about hitting certain arteries allowing the animal to bleed out.
I believe it has been done and perhaps more often than we know about.
Here's something about an elephant being killed by .22LR bullets in Thailand, but it doesn't describe shot placement or anything: https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easier-stuff/342415/elephant-killing-probe-heats-up

Quoted:
He was telling me that during the time that Rhodesia was still in existance a poacher appeared before the court for poaching an elephant. Nothing unusual there... The judge asked how he did it as all he was found with (besides the tusks) was a .22 short pistol. The story goes that he would get into position next to the trail and as the elephant walked past he would wait for the front foot to move forward and he would place the .22 short against the "soft" skin behind the leg and fire. This amazing projectile would enter the soft skin and reach the heart. Thereby killing the beast..

@Zambezi,
The story has some documented grounds, although it was never proven which 22 caliber the poacher was using, and it was not pistol, but 22 cal rifle.
See attached entire research article on this event, in PDF, 3 pages in man magnum magazine, year 2003. (your friend was not BS^%^*)

Thanks for this... Like I said in my post I am still surprised by life. Seems the details of the tale have changed slightly with the years of telling but the basic facts remain the same. I'm speechless, never thought it would be possible at all! I bet the first time someone tried this with a .22 short he must have been expecting less impressive results... maybe it was one of those "hold my beer moments":eek::LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,