Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 10.52.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 10.52.41 AM.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 10.52.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 10.52.33 AM.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 91
Maybe.
There's a lot of steel out there because there's a lot of different applications. Tool steels and knife steels that can be hardened to Rockwell 60 are not usually good barrel steel because they are too hard and won't take the stresses of gunfire well, possibly failing under those stresses.

If it was good for rife barrels, one of the manufacturers would have used it by now. That should tell us somethng

If it sounds like the do all, it probably doesn't or you'd hear more about it.

Uh, no thank you. It is a powder metallurgy product. It will either be perfect or imperfect. Imperfect will blow up in your face. That is why there are no powder metallurgy barrels.

I like my steels, of good grain structure and made by a process that is proven.

I hear cast billets, machined to blank diameter, deep hole drilled, cut or button rifled, stress relieved... works well. 4150, 4140, 416R....all work pretty well!

This is the steel I think will be great to use for stainless steel knife blades...maybe it is better than the N690 steel they sell here in South Africa..I wonder if I will be able to forge this new type of steel???(y)(y)(y)

Glorified pot metal with specific applications, gun barrels not being one of them.

This is the steel I think will be great to use for stainless steel knife blades...maybe it is better than the N690 steel they sell here in South Africa..I wonder if I will be able to forge this new type of steel???(y)(y)(y)
N690 is a very good knife steel

Von Gruff, yes I bought some lengths at Bohler steel company here is JHB. I want to start forging it...have you used this steel yet???N690??

Looks like similar end user properties of corrosion resistance plus keeping an edge. Spyderco has been making knoves for us scuba divers in a steel alloy coded H-1 for years.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C91YL/170

I see Spyderco offers knives with alloy blades coded VG-10 now as well.

I'm only a shadetree metallurgist. My first employer after finishing my degree didn't have a corrosion & metallurgy department, so I kind of grew into that role until I left them after 10 years service, in addition to my more formal job duties.

Attachments

• Screenshot (698).png
    Screenshot (698).png
    160.5 KB · Views: 75
Von Gruff, yes I bought some lengths at Bohler steel company here is JHB. I want to start forging it...have you used this steel yet???N690??
Yes, but by stock removal rather than forging Gert. and a friend uses a lot of it for his kitchen knives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross