This must have the antis having a meltdown...New Zealand kids competition for shooting most feral cats

Love the argument about dont kill them, just get them fixed, normally tends to shut them up with this great response - think I heard it on Meat Eaters
"They aren't phucking the wildlife to death"

Love the argument about dont kill them, just get them fixed, normally tends to shut them up with this great response - think I heard it on Meat Eaters
"They aren't phucking the wildlife to death"

If they shot they definately wont reproduce so does that count as fixing them

Look what feral cats have done to the game bird population in most of Europe. If I find them out and about I shoot them on sight, even if I have to slow down the car to do it--they are that destructive.
Might as well mention dogs running down deer (might not have believed it if I hadn't personally seen it), but thats for another day, I guess.
@steve white
In Australia in some states dogs have a bounty on their head.
Bob

@steve white
Bob
We just shoot the fkn things on here unless they belong....game scouts know to shoot any one they see...if not ours then poachers....and if I saw one of ours chasing any of the animals it would be shot....just waiting to bust one we have that we know does it....dont like the bloody thing anyway....and the cats were removed rapidly after I said when I come back if not given away or.....I will shoot them....sure that will piss off any tree fkr lurkers :A Banana: :E Rofl:

@steve white
Bob

Well Bob that is sort of True but aimed mainly at Dingos or Dingo X Feral Dog, or Dingo but they want to get away with culling them & say crosses !

Dingos in Australia are a bit like Coyotes, some times taking out bigger animals then Coyotes I think & some of my hunters have said the Dingos are heavier, look smaller as they don't have a lush thick fur like a Coyote, saying that some of the Southern Mountain Dogs are bigger still from cross breeding or just bigger from being in the cold environment & get a much thicker coat !

Feral Dogs are normally shot on sight most places, I'm a bit soft on Dogs, stray or lost dogs on my place I watch & would only shoot if it had a Lamb or calf in its jaws !

Well Bob that is sort of True but aimed mainly at Dingos or Dingo X Feral Dog, or Dingo but they want to get away with culling them & say crosses !

Dingos in Australia are a bit like Coyotes, some times taking out bigger animals then Coyotes I think & some of my hunters have said the Dingos are heavier, look smaller as they don't have a lush thick fur like a Coyote, saying that some of the Southern Mountain Dogs are bigger still from cross breeding or just bigger from being in the cold environment & get a much thicker coat !

Feral Dogs are normally shot on sight most places, I'm a bit soft on Dogs, stray or lost dogs on my place I watch & would only shoot if it had a Lamb or calf in its jaws !
When I was a kid we had a problem with dogs chasing deer. The Game Warden put the word out that they were fair game. One day when I was out in the woods I saw some dogs chasing deer. I killed one of them. Unbeknownst to me it was the Warden's dog. When he found out he was not happy but there was nothing he could do.

When I was a kid we had a problem with dogs chasing deer. The Game Warden put the word out that they were fair game. One day when I was out in the woods I saw some dogs chasing deer. I killed one of them. Unbeknownst to me it was the Warden's dog. When he found out he was not happy but there was nothing he could do.
@Newboomer
I was hunting a property and was told if it's not a cow shoot it.
They were also having a problem with wild dogs at the time.
Greg and I were getting wood for the night and a pack of dogs came up the hill towards a mob of pregnant cows. Out came my custom 85 lowall in 22K Hornet. Got 2 the rest left post haste.
Rang the farmer when I got home and told him. He already knew as I had shot 2 of his neighbours dogs. These dogs had no collrs or other ID. To me they were dogs and I was doing as asked.
A few days later I got a call from the police asking me about the incident. Fortunately the Sgt was a farm girl and understood the situation. She told me not to worry as he was a dickhead letting his dogs run free when there was a dog problem in the area. She told me not to worry and she would sort it out and told me to have a nice day. We also spent some time talking firearms and shooting. Turns out she was also a keen hunter.
Bob

My stupid uncle sold a piece of land to the county, which turned into the county dump,
people would dump unwanted animals there, and my lambs, chickens, calves , quail started getting killed by feral dogs and cats, bought a 22 mag & M1 carbine and some traps never could kill enough to stop the slaughter till the dump was closed down

didnt know that having a chip prevented them being feral ‍♂️♂️♂️♂️

My stupid uncle sold a piece of land to the county, which turned into the county dump,
people would dump unwanted animals there, and my lambs, chickens, calves , quail started getting killed by feral dogs and cats, bought a 22 mag & M1 carbine and some traps never could kill enough to stop the slaughter till the dump was closed down

didnt know that having a chip prevented them being feral ‍♂️♂️♂️♂️

Here it is great if they are Chipped (all dogs must be chipped by law ,,, But) if a Farmer shoots a dog or dogs that have killed $2500 to $10,000 worth of stock, mainly lambs, he can at least get some money from the owner !

We have had a huge increase in Lamb killing Pigs/Boars in the last few years here as numbers have increased !

Here it is great if they are Chipped (all dogs must be chipped by law ,,, But) if a Farmer shoots a dog or dogs that have killed $2500 to $10,000 worth of stock, mainly lambs, he can at least get some money from the owner !

We have had a huge increase in Lamb killing Pigs/Boars in the last few years here as numbers have increased !
I have feral hog problem also , I’ve seen pigs waiting to eat lambs and kid goats as they are coming out and hitting the ground!
between coyotes, hogs, feral dogs & cats , drought & sub zero winter it’s been tough in Texas

Sorry to hear that, it has been a hard year all over but the US has been hit ever where !

I hear a lot that the pigs when seeing a ewe going into labour will wait just off to grab the new born lambs !

I had a Huge Wild Cat here that was killing lambs, I think he started (same as the Pigs ?) cleaning up the after birth (very yuck !) then still born lambs & progressed onto killing the lambs !

Food Cat.jpg
Cat Food.jpg

The Kiwis must really have a thing for cats. When we were hiking down the mountain with my Tahr, my guide suddenly dropped everything, grabbed my rifle and proceeded to blow off half a box of ammo because he saw one across the valley. He eventually got it, but it was the most excitement I saw!

Only one wild moggy on my hit list; 20 grain v-Max (17 Rem) into the shoulder, no exit!
Picked it up by the tail and shook it; it sloshed!!

Only one wild moggy on my hit list; 20 grain v-Max (17 Rem) into the shoulder, no exit!
Picked it up by the tail and shook it; it sloshed!!
20 Vartarg for me Geoff. 35gn V Max target varmint at 3650fps has shown it is a very instant 'dead' stop and has taken feral cats, rabbits and other small game

20 Vartarg for me Geoff. 35gn V Max target varmint at 3650fps has shown it is a very instant 'dead' stop and has taken feral cats, rabbits and other small game
Change of subject; a 20BR in process (slowly!) wit an 8" twist barrel, meant to shoot 55grain Bergers; no longer available :((. Emailed Berger, and had a near immediate response; being produced by another company at Graf's behest, and marketed through Graf and Sons. Seems Graf are offering a great range of product, with quick service. Bravo!!

An eight point buck about 18" wide came running by my stand in east Texas...an above average deer which I should have been tempted to take a running shot on, but my rifle was not in my hands at that precise moment and he vanished through a tiny gap in a hedge. Shortly thereafter came a train of three dogs, headed by what looked like an expensive, registered blood hound with a fancy collar--a real contrast from the two mutts trailing him. I suddenly realized they were trailing that deer! They didn't need to put their heads down, they were EXACTLY on the trail at a fast trot, heads up, and entered the hedge precisely at the little gap the deer had taken. By the time I could register all this and get mad about it, they too were gone.
A minute later the same buck burst out of the hedge coming the other way, saw me raise my rifle and jinked uphill as the dogs came out of the brush much nearer to him than they had been before. Suddenly, I was more interested in revenge on the dogs that getting that buck, and dirtrolled the leader with the fancy collar. I never contacted the owner on the collar tag, nor took any action which would further complicate my life...but I never felt guilty about shooting that dog, and I am a dog person. (I wish I had had the sense to shoot the buck first!) Conservation requires more than sentimentality--it takes logic and will.

Back in the 1970’s, when I was a Sheriff’s Deputy in Soviet California, the local Game Warden was tasked with culling feral cats in the Colusa Wildlife Refuge.
He was / is a rifle enthusiast and me too (we are both still alive but hard to believe when you look at us now).:barefoot:
Often on my days off, I would ride along with him, during his anti-feral cat campaign.

We used various rifles but my favorite was a Ruger M-77 in .220 Swift.
It was topped with a vintage Leupold fixed power (aka: non-variable) 10X scope.
The Warden had the same rifle but in .22-250 and an equally vintage Leupold fixed power 7.5X scope on it.
Those rifle / scope combinations were perfect for most of the shooting.

We also brought our dogs sometimes so that, when the quarry wasn’t being especially cooperative, we could ferret cats out of the thick weeds and brush.
When our mutts were forcing targets of opportunity out of hiding, we used various firearms, including our service revolvers.
But most commonly for this, we both preferred Remington Model 870 shotguns, 12 bore, loaded with Winchester “Super-X” shells, (one and a quarter ounce of #2 lead shot).

I don’t know how many of the toothy little invaders we shot over the several years I was there but it was a fair number for sure.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,