This is a great defense of hunting

Breaker Morant

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I think this encapsulates what we all know/believe and probably deserves a wider distribution.

I found it in a comment thread by "Gosh1" on Africa Geographic in the story on Ian Gibson's death. I haven't read all the 2000 plus comments there, but there is some good stuff there and it even appears that some hearts may have been changed due to the knowledge base of the pro-hunters.

http://africageographic.com/blog/hunter-killed-bull-elephant-musth/

Now for the lengthy comment by Gosh1-he has at least one more good one there.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
"The regrettable standard of media reporting of this incident by writers employed as professional journalists is astoundingly poor. I hope Africa Geographic demonstrate some initiative in setting the record straight. This first demands some respect for scientific relaities, especially pertaining African conservation.

Far worse is the torrent of vitriolic responses that testify to the seriousness of the conservation crisis in Africa. I will reserve judgement for later on the lapse of ethics and gross immaturity they reveal of the trolls. I challenge you to read and think - yes the english verb - on some critical realities.

Nevertheless, this lashing out is a symptom of a deeper, disturbing problem. It is very clear too few understand the realities and especially the stark escalating losses of biodiversity and especially elephant habitat. Those of us active as professional scientists (in my case teaching conservation biology to postgrads and undergrad students for over 2 decades) the successful conservation strategies are widely recognized and models to be admired and at all costs not allowed to collapse any further because of fiscal starvation as African governmental infrastructure continues to decay. Economics is key.

There are some solid responses defending ecological and socio-economic realities in these responses. These laudable respondents draw on the facts of the complex "elephant problem". In contrast, the shallowness of the bulk of what can be termed "emotional preservationist vitriol" is utterly lacking in credibility. Overall, these anti-hunting comments flooding this column, and the wider media, reveal how the facts of the biodiversity crisis in Africa - the future of savanna Loxodonta especially - are so very poorly understood. In a fit of such emotional angst, does the thought not occur to ask why the vast proportion of remaining elephant habitat in savannas is designated for the sustainable hunting and cropping of large mammals? Fortunately, in the case of Chewore Safari Area, and much of the Middle Zambezi valley in which it lies, this has been the landuse policy since early in the 20th century. Elephants are the critical economic factor keeping this wilderness ecologically intact.

Stop trophy hunting in these regions? Then condemn the wildlife - starting with all edible large mammals - in these landscapes to extinction. They will soon be overtaken by land hungry peasants, struggling to exist in regions ill suited to agriculture. What has kept Chewore, and allied regions, relatively intact are the millions of US$dollars that has flowed back from hunting leases and trophy fees to sustain conservation operations and to rural livelihoods. Not only are Safari operators major employers for local communities but the PHs in these countries are the last line of defense against poachers.

Oh, what about national parks reserved for "low-impact" tourism, one should ask? Mana Pools NP is the appropriate example. Culling operations, elephants inclusive, routinely proceeds therein. Generally national parks do this, or PH's help or back up on these operation especially where buffalo and elephants are shot. These parks are the core conservation areas within the mosaic. This is the land use legislation and govt mgmt that has sustained this savanna biodiversity for decades. it is the proved and tested conservation model for biodiversity, elephants inclusive. And as a key driver of savanna ecology and habitat structure especially, elephants have to be managed otherwise woodlands (riparian fringes especially) are trashed and converted to grasslands. The latter's biota are distinctly different. Mgmt seeks to maintain representative biodiversity at the landscape scale, especially for the hydrological integrity of wetlands and drainage networks.

The Safari Blocks encircle and buffer these core areas in protected area networks against burgeoning human threat for blanket poaching and land hunger. As far as most African peasants are concerned, elephants destroy one's crops and trample one's children. The stark message to the affluent environmentalist? Elephants have no value to these poor people, Unless they see tangible benefits, these communities want the land to live in and try and farm. To survive against encroaching agrolandscapes, revenue from these safari areas has to maintain a critical $/Ha, if biodiversity conservation is to persist. Safari hunting of elephants is critical to the economics of sustainable conservation of savanna wilderness.

A central part the scientific solution is to cull elephants sustainably. And this is where trophy hunting revenues swing the economics positively in favour of the wildlife industry. The alternative for conservation is not what we conservationists, committed and professionals inclusive abhor. A loss of these landscapes to expanding poverty stricken rural people is the option. Elephants will vanish along with much of the biodiversity. Ban hunting and all of us will witness not only widespread extirpation of wildlife but condemn these relatively intact habitats to collapse into an engulfing environmental wreck. Future impacts on ecosystem services at the regional and continental scale will be catastrophic, ultimately. Especially in extremes of drought of floods. The emotional preservationists "devoted to save elephants", who rank themselves as environmentalists need to reconcile with these basic scientific facts and tenets of ecological economics and biodiversity conservation.<<<

Well said !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross