This Can't Be Real Right? 470 NE Merkel

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm sure I'm over looking something obvious or since this guy just has 1 transaction it may be very obvious but I thought I would let y'all check this out.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.23.43 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.23.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.23.45 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.23.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.23.49 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:
the "buy now" price is $8500. Reasonably sure the seller probably has a reserve set pretty close to that.

8500 is definitely in the same neighborhood as all the other Merkels that are up for auction there

I hadn't noticed that. that poor bastard is going to be in for a rude awakening in 12 hours.

That one has the false side lock panels and octagon barrels. They generally ask more for those by quite a bit. It just looks prettier.
Only 1 feedback So???
To me that is a “do ya feel lucky”?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I mean its in Raleigh NC and I have a buddy that lives there so I have emailed the seller asking to inspect it in person and also emailed him again and requested to speak on the phone and nothing so far so, yeah. Payment options are also check or postal money order. I would love to think it is real. Ha ha. I want one of these bad but this one looks like a little too much gamble for me, or somebody is gonna get one hell of a deal.

@Backyardsniper

We-e-ell...

This one's got the same photos and he wants $22K for it. 1 active listing with 31 previous listings.

GunsInternational is in Pennsylvania, Gunbroker is in NC.

Aaand...

Here's the Gunbroker guy's Colt SAA: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...olt-frontier-six-shooter.cfm?gun_id=101737077

And his Colt Python: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g.../colt-python-6-quot-blue.cfm?gun_id=101707910

I think we got ourselves a dirty rotten scammer, fellas!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.39.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.39.53 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.39.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.39.54 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.39.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.39.56 AM.png
    636 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
GB is a hotbed for scammers. I would rather miss out on the deal of a lifetime than be taken for thousands.

Anyways, I have always envisioned myself checking out a multi thousand dollar double in person before purchasing.

He does not need a reserve if he is watching the auction. If the bidding is below what he wants for it, he can just buy it himself with another screen name. Happens all the time.....

I took the liberty of reporting the guy on gunbroker to the three GunsInt gentlemen whose listings were copied. Hopefully another scammer will be stopped in his tracks, at least temporarily. It seems way too easy to be able to make an account to scam people and you'd think they wouldn't try it with some easily-searchable high-value items like a .470 double, Colt Python, and 1st-gen Colt SAA, right? I almost want to give them the slightest credit for going all-out with their choices of what to steal...

There have been several of these "cheap" doubles for sale on GB lately. Some sell for a couple of thousand. The ones I have followed have 0 feedback. Probably a scam? They had the same thing a couple of years ago on Gunauction. The people were selling 50 BMG rifles for less than a thousand, and all had no feedback. They eventually did get that under control.

Mkay well according to the guy with the Colt SAA, there's nothing wrong with the Gunbroker listing and it looks fine to him. Asked me what made me think it was a scam. Is this some kind of scam-inception? There's a listing for the exact same gun, exact same photos, and a lower asking price from a seller in a completely different state, and you say it's not your ad...? Am I missing something?

Yea they are popping up like crazy on GB. Buddy offered a buy it now price on a double the other day. Guy accepted then wanted payment through apps, any app that wasn't protected. Found same gun on GI and called the guy there. Said it was def a scam since he had the gun in Texas and the listing was out of Washington.

Wish Gunbroker would make it easier to report these guys.

Seems like you have a great chance to get these guns half price by buying through GB instead of Gunsinternational. Better get 'em while they're hot! haha

Seriously though, junk like this really pisses me off. I thought GB had link where you could report right on the listing but I don't see if on these. This guy needs to be reported. He is definitely using other people's photos and descriptions for other guns that are for sale in different states.

I have seen a handful of these lately on Gunbroker and my best advice is; if you think it is too good to be true it probably is. If you want to double check, you can google the exact title and/or verbiage in the description. This will usually take you to the real listing where the actual owner has (or had) the gun for sale for a much higher (realistic) price.

Seems like you have a great chance to get these guns half price by buying through GB instead of Gunsinternational. Better get 'em while they're hot! haha

Seriously though, junk like this really pisses me off. I thought GB had link where you could report right on the listing but I don't see if on these. This guy needs to be reported. He is definitely using other people's photos and descriptions for other guns that are for sale in different states.

I have seen a handful of these lately on Gunbroker and my best advice is; if you think it is too good to be true it probably is. If you want to double check, you can google the exact title and/or verbiage in the description. This will usually take you to the real listing where the actual owner has (or had) the gun for sale for a much higher (realistic) price.
He's been reported, worry not. As it turns out, the ACTUAL guy selling the Colt SAA misunderstood that I was referring to a GunBroker ad that was not his and the mixup got sorted. He's definitely gonna go after that scammer now lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you