Thinking of getting a new "truck gun"

Savage Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor with a decent scope. It's cheap, shoot smaller than MOA of deer or pig, probably PDs, and large selection of hunting and target ammo.

I actually looked at a Ruger Guide Gun in .30-06 a couple of days ago, it was very slightly used and priced at $750.00, the only thing I didn't like about it was the weight, sans scope it felt like it weighed 9 lbs.
Ruger lists it at 8.1#, which is heavy for a 30-06, but for a 300 WM I believe it's just about right.
Along with the Axis mentioned earlier, you can still find the Savage 116 FCSS (Stainless with synthetic stock) for <$700.

Before you buy a Ruger Guide gun, best to check with everyone that will ever be near you when you pull they trigger since they may be offended and insulted that you would ever shoot a hunting gun with a brake. (See another thread). :A Stirring:

Before you buy a Ruger Guide gun, best to check with everyone that will ever be near you when you pull they trigger since they may be offended and insulted that you would ever shoot a hunting gun with a brake. (See another thread). :A Stirring:
That is absolutely correct, however the brake is removable and can be replaced with a muzzle weight or thread protector.
Keep stirring that pot...LMAO.

I use a 308 for this type of work it has yet to find a pig it wont kill

Along with the Axis mentioned earlier, you can still find the Savage 116 FCSS (Stainless with synthetic stock) for <$700.

I have a couple of Savage rifles I could press into service but whats the fun in using something you already have :D

Mosin M44 carbine (unissued Polish example if you can get it). If you run out of ammo or the pig doesn’t cark it straight away, you can use the attached folding bayonet as a pig-sticker.

Savage Hog Hunter? Light, compact, adjustable if loaned out...
Duhhhhhh...
How was this not mentioned earlier.

For a real thumper, get it in 338 Fed.

when i think of truck gun, rather than focus on the cartridge, i'm a bit more concerned with the size and weight of the rifle. I think of having to manage the rifle while i'm inside the cab or quickly retrieve the rifle from it's storage spot within the cab.............. to me, this reeks of the need for a short barreled rifle, as in a 16.5" barrel. I imagine the cartridge won't be a big bruising recoiling cartridge, so stock fit to me isn't so important. Therefore, I would look at a youth model stock or cut down an adult stock to get a shorter overall length of the rifle. Even though the rifle will reside in the cab, i don't see it being kicked around on the floor board so i would go with a low powered scope or some type of ghost ring setup. a youth model model 336 in 30-30 would fit the bill for me..... or an earlier model Remington Model 7 in .308 with the 16.5" barrel and then a shortened LOP. A short barreled AR with one of the telescoping stock butts is another option.

Well I got to digging around in the "toy box" this past weekend and scrounged up enough parts to cobble together a .30-06. The action and stock are from a Stevens 200, the barrel and trigger guard from a Savage 114 and the bolt is from a Savage 110 . I came up with a 1 piece Weaver base and put a spare Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 on it and it's ready to go. Since I had already decided to get a new rifle, I went ahead and ordered a Sauer 100 Classic XT in 7mm RM. :D

Thanks for all the input!

Well I got to digging around in the "toy box" this past weekend and scrounged up enough parts to cobble together a .30-06. The action and stock are from a Stevens 200, the barrel and trigger guard from a Savage 114 and the bolt is from a Savage 110 . I came up with a 1 piece Weaver base and put a spare Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 on it and it's ready to go. Since I had already decided to get a new rifle, I went ahead and ordered a Sauer 100 Classic XT in 7mm RM. :D

Sounds like Johnny Cash's car!

Sound like you had the rifle you wanted all along, just needed a little puttin' together.
Let us know how it shoots along with the new 7mm.

Budget: Ruger American Ranch.
Midrange: Ruger Hawkeye Scout or Kimber Hunter.
Hirange: Kimber Montana or Adirondack.

Sound like you had the rifle you wanted all along, just needed a little puttin' together.
Let us know how it shoots along with the new 7mm.

Will do, I have a box of factory Remington ammo for the .30-06 and I'll be loading some for the Sauer in the next couple of days.

A little update on this project. The Stevens / Savage combo proved workable, not super accurate with factory ammo, 1.5" 5 shot groups or so. The Sauer came in and I picked it up brought it home and scoped it with a Leupold MK4 4.5-14 sitting in MK4 rings and a one piece base. For a test round I had loaded a starting load of H4831SC and a 160 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter. As it turned out, I never got to shoot the Sauer, the bolt that is supposed to have 2 ejectors had none! I returned the defective rifle for a refund and have moved on to other projects for now.

Late to the party but wanted to share what I use for my truck gun. 6.5 Grendel on an AR-15 platform, Mossberg match trigger (don’t laugh, they’re impressive!) Ranier Arms 18” polygonally rifled match bbl, Nightforce 4.5-14x SHV, silencio suppressor. Shoots 1/2” 5 shot groups at 100. Shot a 2” group at 300 yesterday. I will put my armasight thermal on for hogs and coyotes at night. Compact, light and would definitely cover the applications you laid out.

You can build a PSA AR-15 for around $350
Little light for big hogs, but the option is to kill them, buzzards gotta eat the same as worms.

Europtics.com Tikka T3 at great prices.

I bought one from them for under $400, it is a crazy good rifle for that little money. Including the scope, I am in a sub MOA rifle setup for less than $1000.

My truck long gun is a Ruger Hawkeye in 22-250. It has taken an absolute beating over the years and still runs just as good as she ever has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg