BobT

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Tanzania
I'm looking at getting a new rifle to haul around in or on the truck, utv and or atv. I have always been a blued steel/oiled walnut kind of guy but this rifle will be subjected to sitting in a rack in a dusty, dirty environment for extended periods. I have been looking at either the Mauser M18 or the Sauer M100 Classic XT, both rifles look very similar to me other than the bolt handles. The largest game the rifle would be expected to handle would be a wild hog, it could also serve as a loaner whitetail deer rifle on occasion. I haven't thought too much about caliber so if any of you have any specific recommendations as to either brand or caliber I would be glad to hear them.

Ive been seeing the M18 mausers go pretty affordably on GB lately.. I was really tempted by one just a couple of weeks ago.. I dont really need yet another knock around .308.. but the price was seriously great.. and the temptation was strong (I ultimately ended up resisting though)..

My "truck" gun is Ruger American Compact in .308...

She isnt anything special to look at.. but with an OAL of 36", an 18" barrel, and 6lbs out of the box.. its incredibly handy in the field.. and doesnt get in the way when just riding around in the truck.. and its plenty accurate and reliable to boot.. (really nothing to complain about other than its just an ugly duckling, entry level rifle..(exactly what it was designed to be))..

It was also super inexpensive...I think I paid $349 for it on sale at Budsgunshop.com and then caught a cheap vortex diamondback with mounts and rings on sale for something like $150 a couple of weeks later.. so I've got about $500 invested in the rifle all in.. so if it gets banged around just riding around.. or if I know I'm headed out to slog around in the mud or something, it doesnt bother me when the gun gets a couple of nicks, scratches, or dings on it..

It also serves as my primary "loaner" rifle for the same reasons (accurate and reliable and handy/easy to use for someone unfamiliar with it.. and cheap enough and well built enough that I'm not going to cry when a nephew or someone else I loan it to brings it back to me with a couple of extra scratches or nicks on the steel or the stock..)..

Sauer M100 Classic XT

A good friend of mine swears by his Sauer M100.. He absolutely loves this rifle.. his is a 270..

He's owns several other much nicer rifles.. but he retired to his little 800 acre farm/ranch a couple of years ago and wanted a "truck" gun that he could throw on the bars of his ATV or keep in the cab of his truck for targets of opportunity like yotes and hogs.. so he picked up the Sauer..

He swears the M100 is the best rifle in his safe.. despite owning several mid to high end sako and winchester rifles..

Ruger Alaskan , 20” barrel and great rifles
My choice would be a 375 Ruger

Tikka CTR .308

Sauer M100 Classic XT, is a dreamy gun....go ahead and buy one.

And what is the trucks guns duties going to be? Popping a rabbit for the pot or taking long shots at a wandering coyote?

Marlin has been shipping their 1894c .357/38 that would make a great little lever action to haul around in a truck.

My 2¢, something in .243 Win. Arm cannons for a truck gun? I hope you guys are kidding. My truck gun is a .17 Fireball, light, quick and a fast bullet in the eyeball socket does the job.

My truck gun is an AR15 pistol in 300 blackout kept in a tennis racket bag. Slung over passenger seat rest behind seat half zipped for access. Sadly we have a lot of dangerous critters on two legs. 4 murders in 3 days in a town of less than 45k.
Previous truck guns have been a Ruger 10-22 and rem 788

It is my understanding that the Mauser M18 has a steel recoil lug in the stock and the Sauer has a greater range of stock options, otherwise identical. Best to visit Mauser and Sauer websites and make a few notes, I reckon.

I am a big fan of Mausers and I have an M12 and M03.

I have had a look at an M18 and I was disappointed. I know it's a cheap rifle but it really felt cheap.
I didn't like it at all.

Sure I can see the point of it and appreciate that the price reflects the quality of the goods but I would urge you to to spend a little more, get an M12 Impact or Extreme and have a better quality rifle.

The same with the Sauer, the 101 is better than the 100.

I believe M18 and Sauer 100 parts are interchangeable as are the M12 and Sauer 101.

I guess truck gun means different things to different people. I cannot envision a nice new Mauser or anything really as a truck gun, something to just toss around and not worry about, but there when needed. To my mind a Ruger Mini in .223 or 7.62x39, or an AK or SKS or an old mil surp Mauser 98K, perhaps a chopped up Springfield, or a stubby M1A would fill the bill.

For some reason, I hear "truck gun" and think "scout rifle".
Available from Ruger in 223 Rem, 308 Win and 450 Bushmaster.
Has controlled round feed and good peep sights with picatinny rail for optics.
Wood, laminate or synthetic stock.
Can find them used for less than$700, because let's face it...do you really want to have a brand new gun bouncing around in your truck?

And what is the trucks guns duties going to be? Popping a rabbit for the pot or taking long shots at a wandering coyote?

My "truck gun" will ride around in whatever vehicle I'm in, either my pickup or Polaris Ranger or on the ATV. Basic duties will be going along to check or move trail cameras, hanging tree stands building ground blinds or general scouting/woods walks. The largest game it would be expected to be used on would be wild hogs, unfortunately we have a large population in this area and they are out of control so they are a shoot on sight critter. The hogs can get big, over 500 lbs on occasion but more likely 275-300 lbs on average. The rifle could also be pressed into service as a bad weather deer rifle as well as a loaner in case somebody has a malfunction. Caliber wise I was looking at a .270 Win. on the low end up to 9,3x62. I would prefer to stay with a non belted case to maximize magazine capacity. It can get very dusty at times on the ATV or SxS so that could be an issue as well.

Maybe think about a Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 or 300 WM.
Short barrel and stainless, just not the magazine capacity of the scout rifle.
Thing is, hard to find one used or at all for less than around $1K.
Maybe more than you are willing to spend on this project.

Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39
They are cheap accurate and reliable I have one in .223 and am building my sons first deer rifle on one in 6.5 Grendel.

Have a couple of Sauer rifles and love them....the safety on them is a little grit sensitive........not a weakness really....except for a truck gun......FWB

Maybe think about a Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 or 300 WM.
Short barrel and stainless, just not the magazine capacity of the scout rifle.
Thing is, hard to find one used or at all for less than around $1K.
Maybe more than you are willing to spend on this project.

I actually looked at a Ruger Guide Gun in .30-06 a couple of days ago, it was very slightly used and priced at $750.00, the only thing I didn't like about it was the weight, sans scope it felt like it weighed 9 lbs.

Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39
They are cheap accurate and reliable I have one in .223 and am building my sons first deer rifle on one in 6.5 Grendel.

Nice little rifles but I'm not sure either of those cartridges would have the needed penetration for the hard angle shots on the hogs.

Have a couple of Sauer rifles and love them....the safety on them is a little grit sensitive........not a weakness really....except for a truck gun......FWB

That could be a real issue in the Ranger, I have a full cab but there is still something of a dust problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you