Thinking about no or limited taxidermy

Breaker Morant

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I have an upcoming Buffalo/Plains game hunt in Zimbabwe. Game targeted -Cape Buffalo/Kudu/Impala/Warthog and Zebra. My first time to Africa.

This hunt stretches my budget and one way I justify it is that my wife and I go after experiences, not things. We simply don't have a lot of stuff. I fear that taxidermy and shipping is far more than I thought.

I need to think about this more and sharpen a pencil-etc.

One concern I have is would the PH (a very respected name) have any problems with that? Would he have me shoot a smaller animal than otherwise? Ie-he is not taking it home anyway-so it doesn't matter.

The thing (mounts) are not as important to me as the experience. Maybe I would rather use the taxidermy money to go on a future hunt instead.

Any thoughts? Obviously, if I shot a far above average animal of a species I would mount it.

If you go back and hunt again the PH/Outfitter might just get more money on the next trip right!

I ran into a hunter in the airport returning from Africa and that is all he does, once in awhile he will keep a Euro mount. Doing this he can go every year he said. The outfitter loves him.

As far as game mounts or horns and skins go.

Yes and no. on mounting your animals.

I always wait until i have something before i tell the PH what i want to do.

I let then know up front that i am doing a mix with only a few mounts and some euro mounts.

Never had a problem.

When an issue develops is when the PH received a finders fee for delivering a hunters trophy's to them for mounting.

I try to find a dip and pack prior to travel and use the shipper and importer that my taxidermist recommends.

Some times i bring back capes of animals taken for the Taxidermist that i do not want to keep. There are always hunters looking for capes for there trophy mounting. Again check with your taxidermist if that is something they want.

Makes no difference to me, If it's good and it's there it should be harvested, most ph's enjoy every hunt as much as their'e clients, and you are correct it all ads up in the end, leave'em or take a couple of skull mounts but most of all take it all in live and relive every single minute of every day.... just have a great time...!!!!!!

My best always...

I love hunting, but have never taken a trophy. I have not been to Africa yet, but I think I would prefer to do more hunting and skip the mounts. It's the experience that counts, after all. I would also try to take a lot of photos, not just of animals shot, but of the entire hunt, and keep a diary. That way you can relive your memories at home even without mounted trophies.

if you shoot a zebra you might as well have a rug , and with the warthog just have the teeth mounted on a shield. these arent bulky to have shipped. and maybe if one of the others is the first animal you shoot in africa maybe a skull mount ,as the first animal is pretty special regardless of what it is..if its a warthog or zebra you are covered both ways :)

Have been to Africa four times and spent a lifetime hunting the States (also had a five-year stint in Germany where I took dozens of Roe and several stags). I have exactly three "mounts" in the house (kudu, leopard, and oryx) and two rugs (wildebeest and zebra). I do Euro mounts for other exceptional or unusual animals, and have a wonderful set of photos and memories for the remainder. My 42" buffalo makes a wonderful skull in front of an unused fireplace. Nothing wrong with your plan at all.

Thanks everybody. The kids (10-14) are most excited about the warthog-so I like the tusk idea. Zebra rug would be cool. Definitely only Euro mounts if I go farther.

I have the trophy of a lifetime on my wall. World-class whitetail buck shot on my own land.

I don't understand "Dip and Pack." What is that and what is typical cost per animal?

here are a couple of photos of euro mounts and warthog teeth on shields. IMG00239-20121222-1501.jpgIMG00240-20121222-1501.jpg

I see nothing wrong with your plan, it shows a lot of common sense and restraint......all good.:)

After more then 40 years of hunting and mounting countless trophies I have decided that euro mounts are the way to go. I never cared for them on shields it just took something away from the mount. I just recently came across a mounting system called the skull hooker that allows you to display the skull on the wall without a shield. I really like the way they look and they are totally adjustable. If you want you can check them out at SkullHooker - European Skull Bracket System - Get Your Head On Right!(TM). I don't sell them or have any stake in them at all, just wanted to bring them to your attention.

After more then 40 years of hunting and mounting countless trophies I have decided that euro mounts are the way to go. I never cared for them on shields it just took something away from the mount. I just recently came across a mounting system called the skull hooker that allows you to display the skull on the wall without a shield. I really like the way they look and they are totally adjustable. If you want you can check them out at SkullHooker - European Skull Bracket System - Get Your Head On Right!(TM). I don't sell them or have any stake in them at all, just wanted to bring them to your attention.

interesting but i think they would be okay if you lived in a modern style house , but i think the wooden shield being more traditional suits older style architecture better. having chunks of metal sticking out of the wall wouldnt look great in our place, and i know her ladyship would have a sh-t fit as it just wouldnt look right.

Has anyone ever used warthog tusks for handles in a custom made hunting knife?

Breaker
After 5 hunts and 30 some animals I'm going to photos and an occasional euro mount or rugs. I could have gone twice more to Africa if I had started this early on. I want GOOD pictures in good frames on the wall now. My first animal was a 44" Sable. I would have mounted it in any case (even though it doesn't fit in my current house) but all the others I would have been just as satisfied with pics and some rugs. Talking to taxidermists about bringing back your hides and horns might pay dividends in the rug or euro arena. I'm going to look into that next time. Your ideas have a lot of merit.

you are right spike.t they are not for everyone or everyones house. And if the little lady doesn't like it nothing else matters. Like I said I just wanted to to bring them to your attention. I think that one of the most important lessons that some of the aspiring new trophy hunters have to learn is that it is OK not to mount everything that you shoot. Contrary to what my best friend my taxidermist might tell you.

the lessons that some of the aspiring new trophy hunters have to learn is that it is OK not to mount everything that you shoot. Contrary to what my best friend my taxidermist might tell you.

jeez jd i gave up mounting everything i shot with champagne as well!!!!:heh:

The shoulder mounted Trophy of an Asiatic buffalo mounted in Australia by one or more of the more experienced and capable taxidermists in this country will set you back + or - $3000 A.U.D, or only slightly less than the average Trophy fee for the animal itself (not including the cost of shipping home).

When I first started guiding just on ten years ago EVERY hunter took a shoulder cape for a wall mount.

Now we find ourselves caping out only about 60% of Trophy bulls taken as a lot of hunters prefer to take a second bull OR put the money saved from not getting a shoulder mount in to a return trip.

A professionaly prepared, properly cleaned and peroxided/bleached full skull, either mounted on a wooden plaque or not presents an impressive Trophy "mount" of any species.

These days, for me personally, the hunt is the Trophy and I take a well prepared "Euro" of the animal out of respect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross