Thinking about building a 9.3x62

rdog

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA
my 8x57 is almost finished & i need an other project may be build a 9.3x62, there is a cz 550 in 30/06 for sale in very good condition , remove & sell barrel & fit a lother walther 9.3 barrel, fit good recoil pad refinish stock . or buy a howa 1500 wood stock version in 30/06 or 270 win fit 9.3 barrel fit stock cross bolt, better recoil pad i have high regard for howa actions low cost & good triggers& very concentric . or look for a good m98 & start from scratch. any advice or suggestions welcome. i do not know much about CZ center fire rifles other older Bruno's were good products.

I don't know much about Howa, but it would seem to me that a classic cartridge deserves a classic action. So I would go with a M98 first, CZ second.

Good luck and enjoy your new project!

I’m having Reto Bhuler build me one on a Granite Mountain arms action with drop box that hold 6 or 7 rounds. Good French walnut, 24 inch barrel with integrally machines front sight base, barrel band sling swivel, quarter rib and a rugby style flat for the front claw mount. It’s my favorite caliber and I decided to treat myself to the “ultimate” ( for me) rifle.

I would 100% go with the CZ, it’s a super tuff M98 and can be spruced up as much or as little as you like. Winchester style safety, trigger, sights, no end of options. Look at the AHR website for ideas. The other great thing is you can get Talley QR rings and have a really amazing QR scope set up with the internal dovetails.

My most recent 9.3x62 build used an ER Shaw 24 inch 1:12 twist barrel on an M70 1983 Zastava (M98) receiver keeping the same Euro style walnut stock which I bedded the front ring and chamber area with 2 part steel reinforced epoxy. It’s certainly accurate enough and with Big Game Powder and a 286 gr projectile, it’s certainly powerful enough for anything.

Sounds like you are doing the work yourself?

One piece of advice based on experience - don't assume a 30-06 conversion to 9.3 will be a slam dunk. Mine wasn't. To get it truly right, you will need to modify the magazine box per Mauser's rule to get the most out of it. Considering what I learned in that process, I no longer think of a build as anything other that a full build no matter how close the cases might look.

Considering that - I would just start with the action you like best - they will all require plenty of work.

Sound advice. A lot of people don’t think about the feeding when converting to larger cases even standard diameter base cases. More than likely the magazine and feed rails most be worked at to get a smooth reliable feed. If going with the M98 Mauser and doing the work yourself, I’d recommend “The Mauser m91-m98 Bolt Actions A Shop Manual” by Jerry Kuhnhausen.

I have build a 9,3x62 on a CZ550 a couple years ago. It worked for me and been my primary hunting rifle for the last 6 years. A couple of small changes made a big difference.
Good Luck with your dilemma

9,3 x 62.jpeg
9,3x62mm.jpeg
9,3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions about CZ 550s, there is a another 550 for sale this one is in 308win is there a long & short action or are they all long actions? would the 308 have a shortened mag box or would it be the same as a 30/06 the 308 has much nicer wood & is less money this is for a 9.3x62 build

I have built several 9.3's on mauser actions and a couple other cal on how's. 100% on using the CZ. You might have to work the feeding. On two of my masters no work was required on two others rail and magazine work was required.

Hi,

I am also of the opinion to use the CZ over any Mauser 98 or similar.
That´s because of the much longer magazine lenght, lenght that allows to take advantage of the loooong free bore, if the barrel/chamber uses the original CIP 9,3x62 standard. This really increses, significantly, to me, the actual case volume to add some more p/s or the same with less pressure, still maintaining a long distance from the bullet to the lands.
I get this with my ZKK 600. And, with all the bullets I use, the cartridge feeding from the magazine to the chamber is perfect!

Best!

CF

my 8x57 is almost finished & i need an other project may be build a 9.3x62, there is a cz 550 in 30/06 for sale in very good condition , remove & sell barrel & fit a lother walther 9.3 barrel, fit good recoil pad refinish stock . or buy a howa 1500 wood stock version in 30/06 or 270 win fit 9.3 barrel fit stock cross bolt, better recoil pad i have high regard for howa actions low cost & good triggers& very concentric . or look for a good m98 & start from scratch. any advice or suggestions welcome. i do not know much about CZ center fire rifles other older Bruno's were good products.
@rdog
Can't go wrong with a Howa.
If you want a cheap rifle horsley park gun shop in Sydney has a Stevens 200 in 25/06 for less than 500 bucks. It's been there a while so you could pick it up foe $450.
It's a Savage 110 with a different name.
MAB could do you a nice barrel to the same profile and fit it your self.
Just a thought.
Bob

Sounds like you are doing the work yourself?

One piece of advice based on experience - don't assume a 30-06 conversion to 9.3 will be a slam dunk. Mine wasn't. To get it truly right, you will need to modify the magazine box per Mauser's rule to get the most out of it. Considering what I learned in that process, I no longer think of a build as anything other that a full build no matter how close the cases might look.

Considering that - I would just start with the action you like best - they will all require plenty of work.
@baxterb
That's one reason I chose the Stevens/ Savage for my Whelen build. It has a staggered box centre feed magazine that allows me to load to a coal of 3.4 inches and still have room in the mag. Being centre feed I have zero feeding issues.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg