Things other than hunting that are a cant miss

friendswoodmatt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
So, I am getting it all lined out for next July. We are going to the east cape (14 days) for the first part, then to Limpopo (7 days) for the second part— total days right now is 21. We plan on doing Kruger for a couple days - I am hoping to do a tent camp for this short excursion, as well as we plan to visit Victoria falls.
What else in the way of sightseeing is important for us (me and the wife) to see— I could easily extend the trip for important things to see (7 more days if needed)
Example— I was going to add a day or 2 to go see the great whites off the coast of Capetown— but they are gone— they have seen like 1 shark in the last couple of years— apparently ther orcas moved in and started eating them, and the sharks packed their bags and left.
The elephant park?
I am not interested in Table mountain as heights and I dont get along too well.
Are there any other parks that are a “should not be missed” deal?

Alddo elephant park in the EC.

If you like wine you should absolutely go to the Stellenbosch area. We are confessed wine and food snobs and have toured many of the major wine regions in the world. Stellenbosch is one of the best. They have some great wines that just don’t make it to NA.

Reactions: cal
Ukutula Lodge & Game Reserve
Take an evening walk with the lions.
Wife and I did the "Guided Predator Tour".
https://lodge.ukutula.co.za/
Mrs. BeeMaa holding a female cub.
1606401634160.png

If you like trout fishing Maclear is good, nice guest houses thereabouts. Also one of the largest collections of vintage tractors anywhere.

I’ve heard that The Blood River battlefield is amazing.

So, I am getting it all lined out for next July. We are going to the east cape (14 days) for the first part, then to Limpopo (7 days) for the second part— total days right now is 21. We plan on doing Kruger for a couple days - I am hoping to do a tent camp for this short excursion, as well as we plan to visit Victoria falls.
What else in the way of sightseeing is important for us (me and the wife) to see— I could easily extend the trip for important things to see (7 more days if needed)
Example— I was going to add a day or 2 to go see the great whites off the coast of Capetown— but they are gone— they have seen like 1 shark in the last couple of years— apparently ther orcas moved in and started eating them, and the sharks packed their bags and left.
The elephant park?
I am not interested in Table mountain as heights and I dont get along too well.
Are there any other parks that are a “should not be missed” deal?
I’m no help I just hunt!

If you and your wife enjoy wing shooting there are some great options that will complement your hunting. As far as parks and game reserves go I really enjoy Phinda on the east coast of KwaZulu-Natal. It has different ecosystems to the ‘normal’ bush reserves like the ones you are going to. Forest lodge in Phinda is in the sand forest, the only place on earth you’ll find it. It’s also right on the coast with turtles laying eggs and great scuba diving, deep sea fishing etc. the drakensberg mountain range is also amazing to see. Another different environment worth a visit is the kalahari, go to the kgalagadi trans frontier park. There is a LOT to do in SA!

The wife and I are pretty simple folk but did want to have a few days to check out parts of the EC when we were there. We spent a couple days at the beach in Port Elizabeth before our PH picked us up. Then after 3 days of hunting his wife took us into Port Alfred for a “she day” for my wife. I would have liked to see Addo but what I really would have loved is a day of ocean fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg