These boots are made for walking

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
what are some of your favorite boots for South Africa. Heading in July and I'll be walking a good bit. Want to break in a pair before I head out.

Courtney's. They're expensive but they'll last forever. These boots are made the way boots once were and should still be......double stitching, no glue. They're not full of all kinds of soft stuff or look in anyway "advanced." I just know they're comfortable and I can walk all day in them.

Which model Courtney's do you recommend? Been looking at these for a while. would be grateful to hear AH members preferences?

thanks
pat

I have only had one pair, the Selous. I believe they're buff leather, but honestly can't be certain.

Which model Courtney's do you recommend? Been looking at these for a while. would be grateful to hear AH members preferences?

thanks
pat

Selous. Love them. They nobbly sole is actually not loud at all. Leather doesn't wear from what I can tell. I settled on Montana Pitch Blend for water repellant and maintenance.

Yes most are buff with the toungue and soft leathers are Impala. I have a pair of safaris I have had since 2005 and I have only put conditioner on the 1 x and I wear them a lot at home. On the farm and hunting , supper comfy but my wife hates them calls them my clown shoes as they have wide European toe . lol I now own 3 pair.

Well, I'm taking both Danner and Merrell's, but after trying out a pair of Crispi boots, I may buy those for the trip. I'll be able to provide more information after I return.

I use the Courteney Boot in the Selous Model. They are made from buffalo and Impala leather. I ordered mine with the ripple sole and they have served me well in two trips to Africa. They are well scuffed from the rocks and thorns, but virtually intact. Mine did not require much of a break in period. Appearance wise they do have a "wide" look, but they are comfortable and tough and that is what matters to me in choosing a walking/hunting boot.

I use the Courteney Boot in the Selous Model. They are made from buffalo and Impala leather. I ordered mine with the ripple sole and they have served me well in two trips to Africa. They are well scuffed from the rocks and thorns, but virtually intact. Mine did not require much of a break in period. Appearance wise they do have a "wide" look, but they are comfortable and tough and that is what matters to me in choosing a walking/hunting boot.

Function beats form in the bush everytime.

thanks
pat

SELOUS,the best.

Function beats form in the bush everytime.

I think Phil is dead on.

I've had a few pairs of Russell boots, and while I think I look pretty jaunty with them on, I can say I've been impressed with the quality (or the fit - each pair has been fit by them, and has fit different - much differently).

I've tried other brands as well, and have found the Courtney's to be the best, but your foot has to be of the right 'type' for Courtney's.

With all of the types I've tried over the years, I've concluded that from now on, I'm going to go with New Balance hiking boots. They are light, they are relatively inexpensive, they come in widths, and they fit me very well. I can get them with gore-tex if I want, or not. They are comfortable right out of the box, and I can wear them for hours. They won't last as long as some, but they will last longer than most, and they cost less than almost all.

The only time I would consider going with a special hunting boot in the future would be if I was going on another mountain hunt.

On the other hand, if you want to look the part . . .

I found a pair of Superfeet insoles made the Courtney's very good

Cheap pair of leather Mckinleys Sport Check house brand. They are all leather, light, comfortable with a flexible sole (stalking quietly is important) . Don't know what I'll do once they wear out

Courtney's. They're expensive but they'll last forever. These boots are made the way boots once were and should still be......double stitching, no glue. They're not full of all kinds of soft stuff or look in anyway "advanced." I just know they're comfortable and I can walk all day in them.

I've had some very bad experience with boots rubbing my feet. The blisters were very large and I had trouble trying to walk properly for three weeks.

I don't know how the various terrains and bush differ from that of the Americas and Asia so my experiences may not be relevant, but I've had a pair of Russell veal Imperials since 1991, rebuilt about a year ago that have stood the test of time, my feet and hundreds of walked/climbed miles.

I've had some very bad experience with boots rubbing my feet. The blisters were very large and I had trouble trying to walk properly for three weeks.

Courtneys or....?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!