Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
A few weeks ago I entered into a collaboration with our resident Kiwi Knifemaker to create an "African" knife which would incorporate a specific set of priorities. I had a specific length and requirements which drove the blade design. Using his vast experience, Gary incorporated those thoughts into a minimalist design, that is in the hand perfect. Everything about a knife that may be used for something other than cutting rope or potatoes is captured in its balance and heft. I am confident that this one could not be improved upon. He also created a minimalist sheath which carries the knife in what I consider the perfect location - weak-side/butt forward. There it is always available and never prodding you in the back or butt when in a vehicle.

Simply great work my friend. It will be with me every day in South Africa in June and hopefully for many years to come.

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
That looks like a good hunting knife. Have a close up picture of it to see more details.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Thanks Joe. I really enjoyed working through the list of needs, coming up with a design that fulfills that need, and feel priveledged to have done so.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
That looks like a good hunting knife. Have a close up picture of it to see more details.

I do. :D

Mine arrived yesterday!

20180226_125721.jpg
20180226_131141.jpg
20180226_132550.jpg

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
very nice and I like the way the sheath works.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
very nice and I like the way the sheath works.

I've never used a cross draw sheath and decided to get it only because @Red Leg said he liked them, so I figured I'd try it.

Within 5 minutes I loved it. Easy to access and easy to put back up.

geoff rath

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a look (knifeoholic, me) and found myself saying. "That is a perfect working knife". The words just slipped out. Fair summary?

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I had a look (knifeoholic, me) and found myself saying. "That is a perfect working knife". The words just slipped out. Fair summary?
Yes - but with a caveat. It's primary design was to be of ideal configuration to be a last line of defense against an angry cat or hostile local. I have not had the pleasure of having to try and actually peel a leopard off of myself, but have had three opportunities where I could have. I have twice been in uncomfortable situations with drunk locals in remote towns while picking up supplies. A bit of blade isn't a handgun, but it can deescalate or conclude a situation much quicker than a pair of fists where the former is not an option. The blade is ideally configured for that purpose, with directed penetration more important than a slash. Secondly, it will do all those other things for which we own knives in the first place to include cut a potato or a rope. But it's balance, heft, central thrust line, and simplicity are perfect for it's primary mission.

I should add that I own several Randalls and other custom knives, but this is the first that has it exactly right in exactly the right configuration. At least for me.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
What an excellent design gentleman!

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Very nice, looks great!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
@Royal27 what is the handle made of!

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Is there anything special you have to do to bring a knife into RSA?

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

AustinL

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
That is a great looking blade for sure. I find myself saying man I need one

geoff rath

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing a knife into RSA ; when I went over, I took a few as gifts/gimmes for those on the PH's crew; just declared them on the forms you fill out. Should not be a problem.

geoff rath

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
To continue my earlier post: what better work could a knife do than defending one's loved ones or oneself?

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Bringing a knife into RSA ; when I went over, I took a few as gifts/gimmes for those on the PH's crew; just declared them on the forms you fill out. Should not be a problem.
I just had mine in my checked bag, 4 for gifts and my own hunting knife.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
The only reason I carry a knife to Africa is to open my snuff can and shadowy areas because I can’t carry my 1911.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.