Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
The Tiny Ten Antilopes of Southern Africa

Peter Flack refers to these small antelopes as Southern Africa “Tiny Ten” antelopes, a categorized group of pygmy antelopes that have been the pursuit and challenge of hunters from around the world. These Tiny Ten antelopes will take you to numerous habitats throughout Southern Africa in at least 3 different countries. Hunts full of challenges for the dedicated hunter obsessed by these small antelopes!

Tiny Ten Species
• Damara Dik-Dik
• Blue Duiker
• Common Duiker (also called Gray Duiker or Bush Duiker)
• Red Forest Duiker (also called Red Duiker, Natal Duiker or Natal Red Duiker)
• Cape Grysbok (also called Southern Grysbok)
• Sharp's Grysbok (also called Northern Grysbok)
• Klipspringer
• Oribi
• Steenbok (also known as Steinbuck or Steinbok)
• Suni

full

Dik-Dik Damara - Namibia

full

Duiker Blue - Mozambique, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe

watermark.php

Duiker Common - Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe

full

Duiker Red Forest - Mozambique, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe

full

Grysbok Cape - South Africa

full

Grysbok Sharp's - Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe

full

Klipspringer - Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe

full

Oribi - Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe

full

Steenbok - Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe

full

Suni - Mozambique, South Africa

Last edited:
Jerome,

Thanks for the lovely pictures of the small ten antelope trophies of Africa . Here in India we do have an elusive small sized antelope called Four-horned Antelope (also known as the Chousingha) , seems it is of the size of Oribi.

Monish

The Four-horned Antelope, Chousingha, from India

The Four-horned Antelope (Tetracerus quadricornis) also known as the Chousingha is an antelope found in open forest in South Asia. It is the only species currently classified in the genus Tetracerus. Its primary distribution is in India extending South of the Gangetic plains down to the state of Tamilnadu. Orissa constitutes the Eastern boundary of its distribution whereas the fragmented population at Gir is its westernmost distribution. A small population is also found in the drier forests of Nepal. Unique to the Indian subcontinent this interesting antelope is classed as vulnerable to extinction.

watermark.php

Male Four-horned Antelope, Chousingha, from India

Four-horned Antelope stand just over half a metre tall at the shoulder and weigh around 20 kilograms. Four-horned Antelope have a yellow-brown coat with the underside and insides of the legs being white. Its legs are thin and have a black stripe running down the forelegs.

watermark.php

Male and female Four-horned Antelope

Male Four-horned Antelope grow horns. Usually the animal has four; two between the ears and the second pair right on the front of the forehead. The male grows the first pair of horns at a young age of a few months and the second pair of horns indicates age and nutrition inputs to the animal and generally grow at an age of 14 to 15 months. The main pair, found just in front of the ears grow 5 to 12 cm / 2 to 4.8 inches long. Usually there is a second, shorter pair of horns on the foremost part of the forehead, reaching a length of only 2 to 4 cm / 0.8 to 1.6 inches. The horns are never shed, but may get damaged during fights.

watermark.php

Head of male Four-horned Antelope

watermark.php

Skull of male Four-horned Antelope

Four-horned Antelope live in dry deciduous forests and are solitary creatures. Four-horned Antelope are sedentary and may form territories, males tend to become very aggressive towards other males during mating season. Although many people say that these are mute animals, they can be heard while communicating either as an alarm call or to communicate with conspecifics. The call sounds like a husky 'phronk'.

watermark.php

Male Four-horned Antelope also called Chousingha

A shy, wary antelope, the chousingha dashes swiftly for cover at the first sign of danger. The gait of this antelope when walking or running is jerky. The four-horned antelope is rarely found far from a water, and must drink regularly in order to survive. Animals are sedentary, inhabiting more-or-less the same region throughout their lives. Whether territories are formed and defended has yet to be discovered. In the rut, males can be extremely aggressive to members of the same sex. Easily tamed when young, the chousingha is very delicate in captivity. Population densities are usually less then 0.5 animals per square kilometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos... real good trophies among them. Love hunting these tiny monsters!

Great photos i am wanting to add a steenbok or a duiker on my hunt with Niel at Leeukop in October. These little guys are really cool and beautiful animals and some are real easy on the pocket book.

Thanks Monish for your contribution...thats a awesome 4 horn antelope!

I love to see pictures of the Tiny Ten. I also like the vaal rhebok!

watermark.php

Grey Rhebok (also called Grey Rhebuck, Vaal Rhebok or Vaalribbok) - South Africa

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures of the pygmie antelopes! - Great response Monish I never heard of that and that was some interesting facts on the 4 horned antelope!!

10 Little Antelopes

I am going after I think 8 out of the ten this August , Great pictures I hope I am Lucky this Trip I like the Little Monsters.

Good luck with your pursuit Blaserman. I presume that you will be doing this in South Africa, how many regions and how many days of hunting are you in for.

Blaserman,

As we've all said, this is the place for information. I've never heard it put this way before, the Tiny
Ten. Sounds like a great adventure. Good luck.

I will be in three diffrent areas and if I have time I am trying to Harvest as many as I can in 8 days.
This was my main reason to come back this time . But also for Caracal with dogs. Maybe next time I would like to do the Tri fecta of Wildebeest , Black , Blue and Niassa.
I think with a lot of luck it might be able to be done.

I thought I'd bump this one back to the front of the line in the forums. It has some great pictures of the "Tiny Ten".

I took a steenbok on my first safari and I really want to add a duiker and klipspringer to my wall. Thanks for posting this.

I love these animals. I hope one day to be able to say I took all ten with a bow. Small animals but big trophys.

Tiny ten interesting

The more I go after these little guys the more they interest me. So I was wondering how many of you have specifically gone for them or would like to complete getting all ten as well as some of the other little antelope out there. Like the Vaal rhebuck and royal antelope to name a few.

I need a dik dik, oribi, and blue duiker to complete my tiny ten. I think after I get me a elephant in the next year or so I will plan a trip just for these little ones.

gday uitaelkhunter
them little critters interest me to
ever since I watched jack brittingham take a sunni with his bow ,on one of the dozen or so discs of his ive got
did you full mount the seven the ones you've already hunted ?
you can guess the next question right ?

can you show us the pictures of your trophies mate ?

I watched that same Video of the Suni hunt. I got hooked on my first a klipspringer high up on the rocky hills. Watching them spring from rock to rock. Then I started to notice the duikers and steenbuck how cautious they move and the way they watch there surrounding i guess when your at the bottom of the food chain and just about everything wants a go at you it's the only way to survive.

View attachment 22843

damn its not opening .....
bricko can you cast a spell please ?

Dang I phone never uploads right you can see a few from my last hunt report titled Mutemba safaris Mozambique. I will try to load a few from my computer later.

The tiny antelope interest me a lot! They have select habitat that suits their needs and that is where you find them. It's a challenging hunt, especially if you are looking for mature animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg