The stock for rifle from 375 H&H and Up!

mark-hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Gents,

For the rifle in caliber from 375 and up, what type of stock would you choose?

The stock should well compensate the recoil, and should be ergonomically friendly for low power scope.

I attached here CZ options, but any other suggestion is welcome.
Thanks guys!
cz 550.jpg

CZ 550 Safari Classics II High gloss finish

I have the 550 Magnum Lux in 375 h&h and love it. Less felt recoil than my 300 WM. Everyone who shoots it is amazed at the lack of recoil. I guess this is subjective, I would try them if possible for fit and shoot them .

Wood and Shiny I like the old school look

When I built my .375 RUM, I stocked it in a Laminate stock from Richards. The grey laminates go well with the SS barrel and action, and I gave it a 14" LOP that fits me.

The action is pillar and glass bedded and I glass bedded the barrel channel, but floated the barrel. I also put a cross bolt behind the recoil lug, put a mechanical recoil reducer in he stock, and a Limbsaver pad, I hand checkered it with my favorite multi-panel wrap-a-round checkering pattern and finished it with 10 coats of hand rubbed Tru-oil.

I'm kinda "new school" when it comes to stocks and finish for weather resistance.
Prefer fiberglass with aluminum pillar glass bedding and cross bolts.
If it has to be wood, satin or oiled finish with the same bedding...no high gloss for me.
As for the shape, I like the top two of the ones pictured over the "hog back" style.

Traditional old school is a hand-rubbed oil matte finish. The classics II is probably closest to that tradition.

I also prefer hand rubbed oil finish, however its irrelevant for the this topic.

The question is, basically, stock ergonomics to tackle recoil of magnum rifle, with proper eye aligment with low power low mounted scope.

Or we can ask opposite question, what type of stock, was the worst for recoil in magnum calibers in your experience?

I also prefer hand rubbed oil finish, however its irrelevant for the this topic.

The question is, basically, stock ergonomics to tackle recoil of magnum rifle, with proper eye aligment with low power low mounted scope.

Or we can ask opposite question, what type of stock, was the worst for recoil in magnum calibers in your experience?
Then why did you post those four choices? (n) Based upon your updated guidance and the original four photos, it looks like just two different designs (unless the "standard" has a bit more drop than the classics?). The Bavarian stock will likely exert a bit more rotation and perceived kick. I guess I then should care less how you have it finished.

Then why did you post those four choices?

I did mention like this:

I attached here CZ options, but any other suggestion is welcome.

Those on the photo are some options, but not necesserily are the only options, nor the only brand of rifle in similar caliber. Thus the question.

Could not possibly list or attach photos of probably numerous all other options, so the wealth of knowledge of the experineced hunters on this forum might be useful

I am planning a DG rifle in magnum caliber, but actually with no possibility to test, so any experienced advise is welcome.

Buying rifle in eu, is administrationally time consuming process (in some countries at least), so buying a rifle later prooved unshootable for the recoil, without possibility to test in advance is in fact a decision with some risk of wrong choice, followed by further time loss for re-selling it and buying another one.

So I am trying to get this question as clear as possible, to minimise the possibility of error.
I hope I managed to explain, for the question. Sorry if it was not clear in my first post.

I am planning a DG rifle in magnum caliber, but actually with no possibility to test, so any experienced advise is welcome.
The rifles you pictured (CZ550) do not change the shape of the rifle based on the caliber, only the model.
So if you move to a CZ557, the shape changes a little bit.
If you have no possibility to test a rifle, you should speak with a professional in person about how a rifle should fit.
Then you will know how the rifle should feel, you can feel a rifle at a gun shop and hopefully minimize the possibility of problems.

Quick question for you...when you say "no possibility to test" what exactly does that mean?
Is it that you don't have a local range with access to DG caliber rifles or maybe friends that have a DG caliber?
What caliber do you have your sights set on?

Quick question for you...when you say "no possibility to test" what exactly does that mean?
Is it that you don't have a local range with access to DG caliber rifles or maybe friends that have a DG caliber?
What caliber do you have your sights set on?

Range is available, I am member of local target shooting club. But no rifles in such calibers around.
Generally, very small percentage of our local hunters go to Africa (and mostly on PG), and out from small community of safary hunters even less number go hunting DG.
I am considering following calibers: 375 HH, 404 jeffery, 416 rigby, or 458 wm.

I am considering following calibers: 375 HH, 404 jeffery, 416 rigby, or 458 wm.
I will say as caliber goes up, the fit of the rifle becomes more important.
That said I have a CZ550 with the factory stock in 375H&H and find it very comfortable to shoot.
I'm not a big guy at 70" and 150#, kinda on the low side of average but the stock fits me well.
If I were to go bigger, I would have the stock custom fit.

Have your given any consideration to using one of the "camp" rifles?
If they have one that's similar to your rifle (same model just different calibers) it could save you the cost of an entire rig.
Spend that money on practice ammo and range time.
Just a thought, not sure how much you would plan on using a DG caliber rifle.

Should have read your note closer. I jumped to a conclusion with respect to your question.

Generally, the straighter the comb the better the rifle is at directing recoil straight into the shoulder without additional lift with which to contend. Like tires on your favorite off-road vehicle, the wider the butt, the more area over which recoil will be distributed. The straight comb has to be balanced against the use of a scope and open sights. Many older DG rifles were built just for open sights (more drop at comb). Hence the their perceived recoil can be a bit greater - particularly if such a rifle has been fitted with a scope (affects proper cheek weld - again accentuating perceived recoil). All this straightness and thickness needs to be balanced against the overall ergonomics of the rifle. I carry my hunting rifles much more than I shoot them - particularly one capable of taking DG. LOP, natural alignment of sights (open and optical), feel (For instance, I prefer a more open grip and narrower forearm on a rifle than one typically finds on a lot of rifles made for the US market), and over-all weight (I hate weight) are all more import than the recoil factor. And I have found if the other concerns are correct, recoil somehow seems to be mitigated as an issue. The good news is that 99.9% of those other factors can be ascertained before ever going to a range - or even leaving the gunshop.

If you already have or have access to a rifle that "feels" perfect in hand, make a record of those dimensions - particularly length of pull and drop at heel. Length of pull is the easiest thing to fix on a new rifle (and makes the most dramatic change in "feel"). Many are made too long for my tastes these days. I like crawling up the stock a bit - even on a heavy recoiling rifle. For instance, most of my SxS shotguns have a LOP of 14 3/4 inches. Most of my rifles are 14 1/4. And I hasten to add, that is what works for me, not what I recommend for anyone else. If a new rifle fits otherwise at the shop, a quick trip to the gunsmith for a new pad or a bit of trimming of the butt will quickly resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Have your given any consideration to using one of the "camp" rifles?

Well, I have positive experience on "camp" rifles and PG..
One was in 375 (steyr) and the other 300 hh on 2nd hunt.

However, my main concern is when DG is concerned to get maximum performance from myself, based on familiarity with the rifle, i trained with

As I was inquiring for Buffalo hunt, the general reccomendations that I have received from PH and other experienced hunters, is the preference to be with personal firearm, rather then "camp" rifle.

I am glad you mentioned cz 550, being comfy to shoot. certainly it is one of the options.. (y)

@Red Leg:
Thanks, comments highly appreciated!

Old school only! If I were young enough to consider hunting Alaska, I may would consider a modern option. As far a recoil goes, all my rifles up to and including .416 Rigby are factory stocks and I have no issue shooting any of them with the exception of no bench shooting on the Rigby, only from sticks or free hand.

When I built my .375 RUM, I stocked it in a Laminate stock from Richards.

Any feedback or comments on Richards (http://www.rifle-stocks.com/)? I've looked at their website for years and have read mixed comments on their delivery times and service. I am guessing buying one of their laminated stocks is pretty straightforward vs. one of their fancier walnut custom stocks. The prices seem very attractive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!