The Slack Belt Grinder

John P.

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I was polishing a barrel today in preparation for rust bluing. Thought some of you would be interested in the process.

p5VdNLz.jpg

I built this handy lathe accessory many years ago. It has other uses: Below, fitting a barrel band front ramp. I grind the barrel a few thousandths under the ramp bore size in preparation for silver soldering.

KJLXLMt.jpg

Here I am grinding the front ring of a M98 receiver to remove the markings. The chuck, and receiver, are rotated by hand back and forth.

SXLAL9S.jpg

Attachments

• p5VdNLz.jpg
    p5VdNLz.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 580
  • KJLXLMt.jpg
    KJLXLMt.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 183
  • SXLAL9S.jpg
    SXLAL9S.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 402
Looks like it works great, but in one of my old english lathe books, it stated that it was not recommended to grind metal over a lathe due to metal grinding contaminating lathe parts?

I was polishing a barrel today in preparation for rust bluing. Thought some of you would be interested in the process.

p5VdNLz.jpg

I built this handy lathe accessory many years ago. It has other uses: Below, fitting a barrel band front ramp. I grind the barrel a few thousandths under the ramp bore size in preparation for silver soldering.

KJLXLMt.jpg

Here I am grinding the front ring of a M98 receiver to remove the markings. The chuck, and receiver, are rotated by hand back and forth.

SXLAL9S.jpg

Interesting project!

Its like your new oak flooring, you start off hysterical, banning shoes, cuts your dogs claws short, until you have the first scratch. After that its ok.

Love this kind of posts and pictures!!

John, I've seen your Belt Sanding Jig in previous photos of your shop and wondered where you got it. I think it is a very good idea. You can vary the "grit" of the belt and subsequent degree of polish relatively easily. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention." Thanks for sharing.

Once a belt is worn out, you can put jewelers rouge on it for a high polish. At least that’s what we came up with many years ago when I was in the knife industry. Also it put an exceptional final finish when sharpening knives.

Amazed at folks who have real skills. Thanks for sharing

Looks like it works great, but in one of my old english lathe books, it stated that it was not recommended to grind metal over a lathe due to metal grinding contaminating lathe parts?

Ah an old machinist like me knows this. Photo is staged. When I am grinding the ways are covered and I have a vacuum hose just behind the grinding area.

The way covering not shown in this photo, I use several layers of newspaper. The barrel is rotating in reverse, the belt is rotating "up" at the contact point. The plume goes straight up and the vacuum grabs all of it. Grinder is powered by a DC motor with a reversible variable speed DC power supply.

PHp5Rfc.jpg

Attachments

• PHp5Rfc.jpg
    PHp5Rfc.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 183
John, I've seen your Belt Sanding Jig in previous photos of your shop and wondered where you got it. I think it is a very good idea. You can vary the "grit" of the belt and subsequent degree of polish relatively easily. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention." Thanks for sharing.

I made it in the shop, everything from the junk boxes. Happiness in a machine shop is having many boxes full of salvaged materials and parts. The belts are commercial abrasive belts used on small air powered deburring tools. 80 grit belt on the grinder, I have grits to 320.

Sweet! I made up a rig to hold a die grinder for small stuff. What grit are you using? Looks like 320.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross