Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
There's plenty written about the best knife for a safari. Big one or little ones, sheath or folder, and of course variations of multi-tools. So what do we need at the end of the day? Personally I need a chunk of biltong and a beer to wash it down while sittng around the table or fire. Thus I need a tool to take care of both.

So, I turned a wathog tusk bottle opened I picked up last year into a far more functional tool.
Here ya go, The Safari multi-tool.

20170704_165527.jpg

I had made the blade a couple years ago out of ATS-34 stainless steel and then got sidetracked. Originally it as a little longer, but biltong knives typically have a sheepfoot tip, so I comprimised. It should work on both biltong and other chores.

As for my knife, one I needed for hunting in general, I decided to rework another design of mine.
The original was a willow leaf shaped blade that I had made five of a few years back, also of ATS-34 steel. I made two into mine and a friends and they've worked well on a few caribou along with mine going to Namibia twice. The rest of the blades were for when and whomever in the future. But it was a bit long and mulling it over I wanted a more round point to wrap my finger over to protect and prevent me from cutting the any organs while opening an animal up. So to the grinder it went.
Here's the blade in my hand for reference there.
20170531_211134.jpg

Having more than a few pieces of stabiziled wood around to make handles I had composed a handle block of natural curly redwood, black and gold dyed burl and gold and black dyed burl. Then I made a bolster out of black poly pearl, because, why not.
Here it is, complete with a Scandinavian style sheath of some really rough cow leather.
20170617_064718.jpg

I need one of those multi tools ASAP! Deer season is rapidly approaching, by which I mean deer camp is rapidly approaching!!

I need one of those multi tools ASAP! Deer season is rapidly approaching, by which I mean deer camp is rapidly approaching!!
You mean beer camp?

Damn autocorrect, I had it spelled right the first time :D

Damn autocorrect, I had it spelled right the first time :D
Honestly, the first time I heard it called that was from my brother in Michigan when he mentioned his bosses yearly pilgramage to beer camp in the Upper Penninsula. He hasn't gotten a deer yet. Ha ha.

Honestly, the first time I heard it called that was from my brother in Michigan when he mentioned his bosses yearly pilgramage to beer camp in the Upper Penninsula. He hasn't gotten a deer yet. Ha ha.
I love a good camp - I'd rather have a heck of a group in camp cutting up and telling lies and not shoot a thing, than have a bunch of a-holes and shoot a big deer.

I love a good camp - I'd rather have a heck of a group in camp cutting up and telling lies and not shoot a thing, than have a bunch of a-holes and shoot a big deer.

Amen!

Well, the multitool made it back to Namibia as a gift to my hosts. They'll get good use of it.
Then I used to other end of the tooth to make a second knife for myself to fit in the sheath.
20170901_195817.jpg

The first proved to be a useful tool last week on a caribou. We'll see if they both work out on a moose next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvividconsultant

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross