The Royal Bengal Tiger Which Got A Shikaree Hanged

Like always I enjoyed your recounting of killing that tiger. With no other bullets in the tiger I would think that none were fired especially since no brass was found on the ground. Pretty stiff punishment I'd say.....
Bruce

Great story, Sir. I have a question, though. Was Rongon Daas's rifle checked for any signs of powder residue or fouling in the barrel to determine if he had fired it? Were any shell casings found on the ground? If no evidence was found I guess he got what he deserved for extreme cowardice.

Like always I enjoyed your recounting of killing that tiger. With no other bullets in the tiger I would think that none were fired especially since no brass was found on the ground. Pretty stiff punishment I'd say.....
Bruce
I am really glad that you enjoyed this story as much as l enjoyed writing about it , Bruce . Fortunately , in modern times the professional hunter is given much more respect , than they were during our time . In our time , the professional shikaree was treated little better than an armed servant. The Nilgiri Wild Life Association wanted to use Rongon's hanging to make a public statement that they did not take the deaths of their foreign clients lightly .
They were terrified that the death of this American client would discourage other clients in the future from coming to India for shikar. Shikar used to turn out massive revenue for India's economy back in those days and roughly 65 % of our foreign clients were American .

Great story, Sir. I have a question, though. Was Rongon Daas's rifle checked for any signs of powder residue or fouling in the barrel to determine if he had fired it? Were any shell casings found on the ground? If no evidence was found I guess he got what he deserved for extreme cowardice.
I am really glad that you have enjoyed this article , New Boomer.
When the police had gone to the forest to recover the American client's corpse , they found a single .220 Swift cartridge case. However , they did not find any Indian Ordinance Factories .315 calibre cartridge cases in or around that portion of the forest . Not a single 1 , even though Rongon had claimed that he had fired 4 shots at that royal Bengal tiger.

What a sad story, though as always it was extremely well written and very much appreciated my friend.

As for always believing either the best or worst in people, that is a tough one. I would like to always believe the best in people, because it really is something worth believing. Sadly, I’ve had many experiences that make me believe the worst far too often.

A great story but tragic none the less - Thanks for writing this Major. I keep enjoying all your writings!

What a sad story, though as always it was extremely well written and very much appreciated my friend.

As for always believing either the best or worst in people, that is a tough one. I would like to always believe the best in people, because it really is something worth believing. Sadly, I’ve had many experiences that make me believe the worst far too often.
Thank you so much , Ryan. You and Kawshik think very similarly . It really is difficult to trust people these days . Those who can do it , possess a great deal of courage .

A great story but tragic none the less - Thanks for writing this Major. I keep enjoying all your writings!
Thank you so much for enjoying this article , Uncle Sauce . It makes all my effort to write the articles , worth while .

Great story Major Khan, very interesting.(y)

It would be my privilege . If you would like me to send it to you , please inbox me so that l remember and can scan all all of the pages and send it to you by tonight .

I hope I am doing this correctly - never have sent to anyone’s inbox before.
~ M. Mayo

Poton, an absolutely fantastic story and read. The discussion of a glass being half full or half empty amongst friends has gone on forever and will continue to do so. I doubt you said anything in this article that Kawshik hasn't heard before nor will he harbor any ill will towards you for saying it. From the evidence presented it sure looks like Rongon Daas should never held the position he did. I'm equally sure that you are not the only professional hunter that came to the conclusions that you did. There are times when the "Client" isn't right, unfortunately this was one of those times.

Poton, an absolutely fantastic story and read. The discussion of a glass being half full or half empty amongst friends has gone on forever and will continue to do so. I doubt you said anything in this article that Kawshik hasn't heard before nor will he harbor any ill will towards you for saying it. From the evidence presented it sure looks like Rongon Daas should never held the position he did. I'm equally sure that you are not the only professional hunter that came to the conclusions that you did. There are times when the "Client" isn't right, unfortunately this was one of those times.
I am really glad that you enjoyed this article , Shootist43. Deep down , even Kawshik knows that the evidence against Rongon Daas was overwhelming . However , Kawshik does not want to believe that Rongon would be capable of gross negligence man slaughter . Even the day when Rongon left Kawshik and an American client to die at the jaws of a charging royal Bengal tiger , Kawshik never held anything against Rongon .
This was the infamous incident where Kawshik singlehandedly stopped the charging royal Bengal tiger with 2 SG cartridges from his 12 Bore Indian Ordinance Factories side by side shot gun .
Regarding the client who got killed , l could not agree more . Normally , most of our American clients were quite sensible and always opted for " enough gun '' as Robert Ruark would have put it.

Poton, since you brought up the incident requiring Kawshik to kill the tiger you mentioned, how about explaining to him that his respite is over, and that he needs to start writing again.;);)
I wish ! My poor simpleton of a friend stopped writing fresh articles on African Hunting Forums after that incident with the 2 bloody anti hunting " trolls " who insulted him on 1 of our threads 3 months ago ( even though the " trolls " were publicly exposed and humiliated ) . I am currently desperately trying to convince him to resume writing again . If those trolls ever attempt to insult him again , then I WILL PERSONALLY STEP IN and give them a piece of my mind .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg