The Royal Bengal Tiger Shikar Which Almost Killed My Client

Did the client turn the croc into a chair? That would be an appropriate piece of taxidermy.
Jeffro
As the crocodile was not a listed item on the respected client's Shikar permit papers , the skin was property of the Nilgiri Wildlife Association

Dear mr Rahman,
Thank you so much for this thrilling story!

Quite the story. Your client got off lucky in this encounter. I'll bet he remembered it for the rest of his life! You have had a very interesting career.
Bruce

Quite the story. Your client got off lucky in this encounter. I'll bet he remembered it for the rest of his life! You have had a very interesting career.
Bruce
Gilettehunter
Thank you so much for your kind words. It looks interesting now even to me , but it was terrifying at that time. I was terrified for my client's safety. If , Lord forbid , our client died , then l could get hanged by the Nilgiri Wildlife Association , just like my colleague Rongon Daas did .

Larry4831
Thank you so much for your kind words. In my time , six dangerous animals could be hunted in India : Royal Bengal tiger , Leopard , Gaur , Bear , Boar and crocodile. Of these six , it was the Royal Bengal tiger which l used to enjoy hunting the most.
I bet those Guar can be a handful to bring down. I believe they are the largest wild bovine in the world. What caliber of weapons did you use to hunt guar?

I bet those Guar can be a handful to bring down. I believe they are the largest wild bovine in the world. What caliber of weapons did you use to hunt guar?
Larry4831
I used only what l had -
A 12 bore side by side shot-gun made by Ishapore Arms Factory , loaded with SG cartridges. Attempting to kill one of these beasts with a shot-gun is something no sane man should attempt. We would have to get very close to them and shoot them at point blank distances in the neck with SG cartridges , hoping that at least some of the pellets would reach their spine.
We would open up the tops of the SG cartridges and pour molten wax from bees over the SG pellets , in order to reduce the spreading and increase the range as much as possible.

If l had a good centre fire rifle , then l would never have used such a weapon ever. My late Shikari partner , Karim Chowdhury once shot a female Gaur in the lungs with a .22 Long Rifle bullet from a Brno auto loader and she began to cough blood , enraging the other Gaurs in the here and driving them mad. They began goring her to death and that accelerated her death .
I also killed three of them with Kynoch lethal ball 12 bore cartridges while l still had them. They would work really well , if you placed your aim for the soft part behind the shoulder of the Gaur.
I believe that the best weapon to dispatch a Gaur is a magnum .375 bore cartridge with a controlled rate of expansion . And the safest shot to use on a Gaur is one from the side which can pierce both lungs . If the Gaur is engaging you from the front , then place your aim on it’s heart which is tucked between it’s two fore legs.
Gaur can be extremely difficult to contend with. They weigh upwards of 2000 pounds . As an example , l have provided an article here , named “ The Gaur Shikar which went very terribly wrong “

Last edited:
Larry4831
I used only what l had -
A 12 bore side by side shot-gun made by Ishapore Arms Factory , loaded with SG cartridges. Attempting to kill one of these beasts with a shot-gun is something no sane man should attempt. We would have to get very close to them and shoot them at point blank distances in the neck with SG cartridges , hoping that at least some of the pellets would reach their spine.
We would open up the tops of the SG cartridges and pour molten wax from bees over the SG pellets , in order to reduce the spreading and increase the range as much as possible.

If l had a good centre fire rifle , then l would never have used such a weapon ever. My late Shikari partner , Karim Chowdhury once shot a female Gaur in the lungs with a .22 Long Rifle bullet from a Brno auto loader and she began to cough blood , enraging the other Gaurs in the here and driving them mad. They began goring her to death and that accelerated her death .
I also killed three of them with Kynoch lethal ball 12 bore cartridges while l still had them. They would work really well , if you placed your aim for the soft part behind the shoulder of the Gaur.
I believe that the best weapon to dispatch a Gaur is a magnum .375 bore cartridge with a controlled rate of expansion . And the safest shot to use on a Gaur is one from the side which can pierce both lungs . If the Gaur is engaging you from the front , then place your aim on it’s heart which is tucked between it’s two fore legs.
Gaur can be extremely difficult to contend with. They weigh upwards of 2000 pounds . As an example , l have provided an article here , named “ The Gaur Shikar which went very terribly wrong “
Thank you, that was very interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross