The Remington Model 700 Rumour

It's possible. One needs to choose his gunsmith wisely. :D
@Hogpatrol
That's why I stick with the one I use. He is a true master in wood and steel. He doesn't do metal engraving tho. He is one of the few that does rifle, shotgun and handgun.
His name for all the Aussie members is
Rob Spittles in Rylestone.
Bob

The famous incident where the woman shot and killed her son is a prime example of a total lack of safety as the bullet that killed the kid just went through a trailer and he was on the other side. She supposedly was just unloading at the time..

Sure! With the muzzle pointed at something that doesn't react well to bullets? Hell, why not? Doesn't everybody point the muzzle of their firearm at their car, friends, mother in law when they are unloading ?

And when something bad happens blame the gun manufacturers instead of themselves ?

The " blame train" gets ridden by many guys with firearms who miss, wound, shoot holes through their cars and sometimes..... and most unfortunate of all........ their friends or family. The golden rule of going out "heeled" is to never point the gun at anything that you don't want to shoot ...,,,,. loaded or not at anytime"..... no if's, and's , or but's.

CAN a firearm go off by itself? Sure..... anything is possible, but is it probable ? ...... especially when one person claims to have seen numerous very unprobable malfunctions by chance and numerous life long gunsmiths who people have brought many thousands of guns to has never seen any.

The woman who killed her son wasn't charged with anything and Remington is sued for the death. The bro in the projects that shot his nephew by accident is charged with homicide and the gun's manufacturer is never mentioned. Yeah, that makes sense.

Technical - Remington 700 Trigger - Creating a Negligent Discharge

How to make your 700 fire with the safety lever in one ten minute video. My money is on 99.999999% of accidental discharges are the result of ignorant, unskilled, clueless, people that THINK they know what they're doing. In retrospect, Remington, knowing this may be an issue, should have spot or tac welded the trigger pull adjustment screws. The nail polish or glue that they used was just an invitation for Joe Jockstrap to mess with it.

Last edited:
I don't shy away from Remington 700's because of the trigger safety issues...... Remingtons' massive nose dive in quality control and the multiple issues I have had and PERSONALLY seen with BRAND NEW rifles gives me ZERO confidence in them.

While I have never witnessed a Remington 700 discharge by accident resulting in death..... I have personally with my own eyes watched a brand new, straight out of the box Remington 700 fire when the safety was pushed to the fire position.

That incident combined with previous incidents of - Failure to extract, blown out primers and non-spec head space; once again these were all BRAND NEW RIFLES.

The first rifle I purchased was a 700 ADL .270 in 1973. Around five years later my roommate in college had an uncle who was a gunsmith. I took it to him and he gave it back to me with a very nice 2.75 pound pull. Don’t know if he just adjusted it or did some polishing too. I’ve never had an issue with negligent discharge.

I’ve been on the fence for years concerning the Walker trigger problem and can’t make up my mind whether the issue is mostly caused by Bubba’s or not.

I don't shy away from Remington 700's because of the trigger safety issues...... Remingtons' massive nose dive in quality control and the multiple issues I have had and PERSONALLY seen with BRAND NEW rifles gives me ZERO confidence in them.

While I have never witnessed a Remington 700 discharge by accident resulting in death..... I have personally with my own eyes watched a brand new, straight out of the box Remington 700 fire when the safety was pushed to the fire position.

That incident combined with previous incidents of - Failure to extract, blown out primers and non-spec head space; once again these were all BRAND NEW RIFLES.

The reason we don't read much about high end rifles problems is because those that can afford them don't mess around with them. They return them to the manufacturer. Google Kimber and Cooper problems. Remington isn't the only one with dogs.

I've got a left hand model 700 in 270 made in 1962 that I've never experienced a problem with. It has one of the nicest triggers of the rifles I own.

View attachment 350484

I have a BDL in 270 I bought in 68. The only work on it was done by Norm Thompson of Colorado, a master with the Rem 700s to lighten the trigger pull to 2 1/4 lbs. I hunted hard with that rifle for 30 years, then gave it to my son who still hunts with it. Never an issue. We have a newer Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby. That gun needed some work before I was willing to use it to hunt anything big with teeth and claws. Kevin Weaver (also of Colorado) did a great job on it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber