The Remington Model 700 Rumour

Bottom line R M700 is a real poor choice as a platform for a DG rifle.....

Yes Squire Doctor,

Right you are. The 600 & 660 along with the Mohawk 600 after a certain year were called back by remington to remove the bolt lock that lock the bolt when the safety was on.

I have a Mohawk and it HAD a horrendous trigger so I changed it to a Timney. End of problem.

Many have went off without having the trigger pulled, but only after some nitwit with a bent screwdriver and a broken claw hammer adjusted screws he should have never touched.
Amen!

I remember one of the posters on this thread (I won't say who because it is not necessary) lecturing on a different thread 2 years ago about the supposed deficiencies of the Weatherby Mark V, with pictures to prove his point, and confusing the trigger sear with the bolt retainer plunger. No wonder a Weatherby (or a Remington) could fire unintentionally if such gunsmithing expertise is applied to it - which apparently it was, with predictable result: "the gun fired by itself" - even though the Mark V actually has an uttermost reliable bolt-mounted, firing pin-blocking safety independent of the trigger...

Anyway...

The same issue can happen with any brand and any system. For example, if the praised Win 70 "3 position" safety is not installed correctly so that it cams the firing pin cocking piece 1/64 of an inch backward when engaged, hence disengaging the sear, then it too can fail. This is a grand classic with people upgrading their rifle (military Mauser, CZ, Zastava, Browning, Remington, etc.) with a Lapour, Gentry, AHR, etc. after market safety themselves without understanding how it works, and without adjusting the contact surfaces...

The sad part is that this can even happen at the factory nowadays that pride in one's work is essentially obsolete. I got from the New Haven factory a limited run Win 70 .300 Wby Stainless Classic on which the safety simply could not be engaged. Apparently, and somehow, the rifle had skipped the adjustment step after the parts assembly step...

Last edited:
... How ever , there were AT THE VERY LEAST a few cases ...

Of course, there were. Just as the example I gave above of a Win 70 safety that skipped the adjustment step at the factory, I am sure that some Rem 700 triggers skipped the sear engagement adjustment step at the factory. Not to repeat once more the usual conclusion, but anything assembled by humans will have a defect rate.

But this is a different discussion from home-adjusted triggers; or sears, triggers or safeties failures caused by rust, overflowed epoxy, hardened grease, accumulated powder residues, dirt, etc. etc.

I personally believe credible members who relate an occasional factory assembly missed step (heck, it happened to me too), but I see this as a different category from home-gunsmithing issues... which I believe form the vast majority of the reported issues...

Just my $0.02...

Last edited:
Speaking of trigger failures, I once had the secondary sear on a Ruger Mini-14 fail, converting the rifle to full auto. I had a fair bit of fun with it, but finally got it repaired when I realized that the Mounties would not be amused if they caught me blazing away with it.

Speaking of trigger failures, I once had the secondary sear on a Ruger Mini-14 fail, converting the rifle to full auto. I had a fair bit of fun with it, but finally got it repaired when I realized that the Mounties would not be amused if they caught me blazing away with it.

WAB the jig is up now all of the rest of these guys are going to know your Canadian!

Concidering the number of multi million law suit settlements made by Reminton over the years on the trigger that they seem to refuse to admit, I don't think I would want one, and I prefer the Mauser and the pre 64 win. and today I really like Rugers..I dont' know and don't care but I figure where there is that much smoke there could be fire..I did research it a bit and Im satisfied those claims that cost lives were legitimate, but to each his own..

Just a heads up, Timney no longer makes the Calvin Elite hunting trigger, only the target version with adjustable shoe. The replacement is the Elite Hunter Remington 700.

Interesting. Minimum pull now 1.5lbs. The spec looks the same as the heavier pull of the two previous Calvin Elites. I wonder if anything else changed.

Edit : Not the same - straight trigger, not curved YUK. No cuirved trigger elite on the Timney web site

Looks like I got lucky. I bought the light pull models only because I wanted a 1.5lb pull and didn't want to use the heavy pull model set at the extreme end of its pull weight range. I'd be happy with the Elite hunter min pull weight but not with the straight trigger. Maybe I'd like it - maybe not - like pulling a nail.

Last edited:
Somebody mentioned Kimber, my friend is in the throes of buying a Caprivi - should he be concerned? Has anyone ever had an AD with a Caprivi?

I recall a recall in Australia maybe 2010 onwards, I don’t know the detail except I believe it was triggers. That could end badly if they were discharging by themselves.
Chris
I remember seeing in sporting shooter Mag and a few others as well as some mags from the US with big adds for Remington recalls and not to use them until they were upgraded

@IvW, funny you say that about Weatherbys, I have half a safe full of Weatherbys; Japan and US made and I have never had any issues with them discharging.
Para45
What's the other half of the safe filled with or is it still empty.
Bob.

7.5 million 700 rifles, there's bound to be a few dogs. Unfortunately for Remington, you only read about those. This thread could morph in to autos, trucks and motorcycles and follow the same path. IMHO, if one wants perfection, a factory built rifle isn't going to fill the bill.
Hogpatrol
Sometimes custom rifles are just as bad.
Bob

Skinnersblade
When are you going to convert it to 35 Whelen.
Bob

To be honest I dont see the need after buying my .375h&h I just plan to load that up or down for whatever the job calls for. I'm currently working on a deer load with the Barnes original flat nose 255 grain and 50.5 grains of h4895 giving in the neighbourhood or 2150fps.

Reactions: WAB
To be honest I dont see the need after buying my .375h&h I just plan to load that up or down for whatever the job calls for. I'm currently working on a deer load with the Barnes original flat nose 255 grain and 50.5 grains of h4895 giving in the neighbourhood or 2150fps.
Skinnersblade
Just joking mate

WAB the jig is up now all of the rest of these guys are going to know your Canadian!

We’re everywhere! Even my doc here in Bama is a Canuck. We are slowly, quietly (and politely) taking over the world, eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg