The real world

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
First off, hello all!

Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, let me tell you something that I just discovered today. No it's not a pill to make your gun bigger, but it might help you with some of your anti-hunting friends. I was talking to some of my friends about my upcoming Africa trip and when the subject of hunting was broached I quickly discovered a few things, one of them being that a fair amount of anti-hunters do not live in the real world. After the initial shock (You mean this guy that owns guns want's to use them?? How horrible!) wore off I ended up fielding a lot of questions ranging from the polite "Why do you need to kill to feel like a man" to the inquisitive "So flying halfway around the world to shoot an animal is good for it??" to the inevitable rude "I can't believe your doing this".
These folks are good people, just a bit...ignorant...so I decided to attempt the impossible and educate them on how hunting and conservation really do go hand in hand. I showed them graphs of how hunting turns a nuisance animal (lets say a bush pig for example) into a profitable one fore the local community. I brought up the land that hunting saves in pristine condition as well as the massive amounts of money that go into conservation directly from the pocketbooks of hunters. Sadly this was when I learned that facts simply do not work. I was met with blank stares, and in one memorable case the question "Why not just donate the money, why kill the animal?" I attempted to answer that one, first asking why they drove a green car and didn't just donate the money they would have spent on it to a charity (more blank stares, I thought it was funny, oh well) and then by pointing out that even if I did donate money that money didn't automatically result in more space for the existing animals meaning that new animals, and herds, prides, packs, groups etc. etc. would have nowhere to go. Just because we donate does not mean that food rains from the sky, these animals still need space and X amount of animals are needed to be culled in order to ensure space is available for new arrivals. Again, blank stares (despite my generous offer to buy a 12 pack of condoms and film them putting them on mating lions to reduce population growth).
Basically no matter what facts, figures or reasonable arguments I made it was proven to me, time and again, that some people will never inhabit the same reality as you and I. So, my dear friends, in your future talks with anti's just remember that the worlds are very different, and do not cross paths very much at all.

I 100% totally agree! Trying to use reason and rational thought with the anti's, millenials and GenX is just like pissing into the wind. Dont even waste your time or breath they are brain washed and BRAIN DEAD!

Sad but true, thanks for sharing!

no matter how many facts you put out there,the antis will never get it.the real world dosent exist for them.so why waist our time?we need to concentrate or the majority of sane rational people who do not hunt but have nothing against it,try and make them understand the need for hunting to keep the proper amount of wildlife and habitat balanced to exist forever.mother nature dosent do that anymore.but,back to square one,how do we do it?

True, I'm 33 and my safe space is wherever I happen to be, whenever I happen to be there.

I agree having a safe space is no fun at all I guess my past few jobs have proven that.. but I don't know if I could work in an office at a white collar job I guess thats why I'll never be rich

You tried! Good for you! Next time you know what your going to get.

Good on you for trying. It does not hurt. The bright ones will have learnt there is a counter argument to their ideas no matter how foreign it may be.

Organize, educate.... repeat

I deal with the same issues living and working in the liberal state of WA, many MANY of these people live in their own little world. thankfully the company I work at employs a wide variety of people and some sane ones manage to make it in.

-matt

This is why we have to get kids educated in true conservation. When you mention conserving nature to a 20-40 they think that's donating to WWF. Hunting and fishing! It sounds like many on this site are what you might say are mature(ok old guys!) You have time to figure out what broadhead goes through a board better, or what grain round to use for everything. When is the last time you sat a kid down and passed the knowledge someone gave to you on to a kid. Times are different in most places for the kids Grandpa doesn't take his grandkids squirrel hunting because he lives in a different state and when the kids come to visit for them it's a rest break from their sports agenda. Dads are working their balls off(moms too!) and when we get a brake it's off to the woods for peace and quiet as much as the love of the hunt. I know there are still many families who do not work this way but most do. The younger generations have been educated by the anti hunters because they took the time to do the educating! In Pennsylvania when I was a kid every sixth grader went to a week long camp as part of school, we learned shooting guns and bows, tracking, identifying birds and game, and a whole lot more. At the end we all took the hunter safety test. What was the result more hunters than any other state a huge deer, turkey, bear population, massive trout and steelhead stocks. The demand that all the schools closed on the first day of buck season, and 3+million hunters men and women hunting that day alone. If you think that would be a good thing to see happening in every state get involved with those things that really educate kids about conservation. I would rather see my son go out on his own and set up a treestand and kill a doe with his bow all by himself than to see him kill a big five animal, that's just what I believe. Is it something they thought was cool or did they fall in love with hunting like I did and just want to learn as much as I can about it. How would you like to send your 12-14 year old out to Montana for a week with a guy like Brickburn and a crew of his handpicked staff to really EDUCATE a kid about the wild, those are the kids who will be leading the charge when we are all back in diapers! Sorry rant! I have 6 kids and they all are in the woods with me every chance and not just hunting but learning, they are 1 in a 100 or maybe worse, and in a state that is pretty wild.

Well said David, I retired a few years back and now work at teaching conservation( hunter education) education, we also have a mentorship program for getting those first time hunters out. Very fulfilling.

I think there is more of us young guys on here then what people think. We just have lived life and got out of our parents basement, makes us seem alot older compared to our peers.
Sadly there is some truth to this. Anyway I didn't (despite appearances) make this thread to bash anti-hunters, just to give others a bit of perspective. Our world views on many things can coincide or even be identical, but when it comes to hunting it just wont click. On that note, there is an interesting series on Youtube called "Adam ruins everything" and if you would like to show your anti-friends (or even your hunting pals, everyone could do with some fact ammo) a clip about why trophy hunting is a good thing here is the link. Now, a bit of a disclaimer, I haven't seen any of his other videos, just this one, so I cannot vouch for them.

I don´t agree with the OP. Of course there are people who have made up their mind that hunting (and other issues) is just morally wrong, but there are others who are intelligent enough to understand our point of view.

We may not turn them into hunters, but at least they will not be anti-hunters.

As for me, I will keep trying to convince them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you