The perfect expanding bullet

colorado

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I don't know why Swift doesn't take their excellent A-Frame design and add the base and tip of their Scirroco bullets to them, keeping the basic A-Frame design intact. It would keep the lead from starting to squeeze out of the base on a high velocity shoulder shot and would sure improve their BC for flatter shooting cartridges.

I would like that but some rifles do not like to shoot boat tail bullets well so maybe another with the plastic tip and a sealed off flat base. :)

I will be using their A-Frames when I go back to Africa in 2017 and if I get some pig hunting done here in the states with certain cartridges(mostly mags). I do like their bullets :)

Reactions: lcq
Just had a hunter in camp using Swift A-frames. They just impress me every time we pull one from an animal. Pulled two from an Eland bull we took, and they were the perfect mushroom with the "regular" Swift A-frame bulge half way up the shank.
Looking at using them myself in the 500.

Reactions: lcq
I love the A-Frames. I have a bunch of .510 caliber 570g A-Frames I'm going to load up. I'm thinking 2150 fps is a nice sedate load. Here's a picture of the .375 caliber 300g A-Frame that killed my brown bear at less than 13 yards. Penetrated a 900 lb bear diagonally starting with the front rightshoulder and was found just inside his hide after going through his left rear thigh. Still weighs 299.5g

Attachments

• P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why Swift doesn't take their excellent A-Frame design and add the base and tip of their Scirroco bullets to them, keeping the basic A-Frame design intact. It would keep the lead from starting to squeeze out of the base on a high velocity shoulder shot and would sure improve their BC for flatter shooting cartridges.

If you don't want that issue with lead squeezing out the base, shoot a North Fork Bonded Core, they don't have that partition like design, only lead at the front. The tips are another issue and I'll take a guess as to why they don't do this, in addition to the extra manufacturing process. The tip would require a stem that is pushed into a cavity in the front section of lead. If a tough bullet like the A-Frame hits such that the tip doesn't get pushed straight back into that lead section but is sheared instead, I could see where it might adversely affect proper expansion of the bullet. Just a SWAG.

I love the A-Frames. I have a bunch of .510 caliber 570g A-Frames I'm going to load up. I'm thinking 2150 fps is a nice sedate load. Here's a picture of the .375 caliber 300g A-Frame that killed my brown bear at less than 13 yards. Penetrated a 900 lb bear diagonally starting with the front rightshoulder and was found just inside his hide after going through his left rear thigh. Still weighs 299.5g

Now that's what I want a DG bullet to look like. No exposed ot missing core, didn't shed weight, great penetration.

Now that's what I want a DG bullet to look like. No exposed ot missing core, didn't shed weight, great penetration.

Have never seen a recovered A-Frame not look like that, or a NF that didn't look like these.....

image.jpg
image.jpg

There is much to be said for consistency!!!!

If you don't want that issue with lead squeezing out the base, shoot a North Fork Bonded Core, they don't have that partition like design, only lead at the front. The tips are another issue and I'll take a guess as to why they don't do this, in addition to the extra manufacturing process. The tip would require a stem that is pushed into a cavity in the front section of lead. If a tough bullet like the A-Frame hits such that the tip doesn't get pushed straight back into that lead section but is sheared instead, I could see where it might adversely affect proper expansion of the bullet. Just a SWAG.

I actually emailed North Fork, they said that if they put a tip on their soft they couldn't guarantee expansion. I'm sure they're right. A-Frames are just a little easier to come by where I am and both are great bullets.

Thanks for sharing, I've always liked the A-frame and used it for a couple of years. Lately I've moved away to monolithic bullets and have had great success with Peregrine so wont change back to lead core bullets.
But if i could pick a lead core it would be the A-Frame

as previously stated some rifles just don't shoot boat tails accurately. I own two that shoot a-frames but are horrible with any boat tail scirroco's included

Ah, good point. If I was a machinist type I'd cut a bit off the nose of my 570g TSX's to make them 550g and drill a bigger and deeper hollow point. I've never had a problem with them expanding but I do worry about it. Not so with the A-Frames

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you