The perfect 275 specification?

SWS1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
If you were going to build the perfect 275 - what would you specify?
Im going to order one fairly soon and I am mulling over the specification.
Mauser action, Lothar barrel, wood stock, h and h mounts..
I’m debating barrel length etc
I’d like it to shoot 140-170gn bullets
Be a joy to carry all day and be a good alround plains game and deer rifle.
Many thanks

Why not a pre-WWI Rigby? Now that would be something special.

I used a Mauser Erma code 27 as the base of my 275 build, open sites, and used a special blank for the woodwork. Turned out the way I was hoping.

If you are building a custom 7x57 from scratch, you could do a lot worse than replicating the barrel profile, length, stock dimensions etc from Rigby. It seems there are quite a few barrel choices in 7mm, and getting a 7x57 working well in a Mauser action is really quite straight forward.

I’ve not found a cost effective way to get to H&H mounts, but think they are really cool. Please let us know what you learn. G&H seems like a more approachable alternative. There are some folks making the Rigby style cocking piece peep sight…

On a 275, I’d likely forego a quarter rib and barrel mounted sling mount, but have an island sight and stock mounted sling mount. I think NECG may be making an H&H style front sight hood, should you be able to find the H&H style scope mounts.

Most of the Rigbys had a metal serrated butt plate with a trap. I’d likely go with an orange silvers pad, even in 275. Recoil aside, just seems a lot more practical to me in the field. If you go with a more traditional pistol grip, instead of a Price of Wales style, I’d put a trap there.

Good luck with your build! Let us know how it goes….

If you are building a custom 7x57 from scratch, you could do a lot worse than replicating the barrel profile, length, stock dimensions etc from Rigby. It seems there are quite a few barrel choices in 7mm, and getting a 7x57 working well in a Mauser action is really quite straight forward.

I’ve not found a cost effective way to get to H&H mounts, but think they are really cool. Please let us know what you learn. G&H seems like a more approachable alternative. There are some folks making the Rigby style cocking piece peep sight…

On a 275, I’d likely forego a quarter rib and barrel mounted sling mount, but have an island sight and stock mounted sling mount. I think NECG may be making an H&H style front sight hood, should you be able to find the H&H style scope mounts.

Most of the Rigbys had a metal serrated butt plate with a trap. I’d likely go with an orange silvers pad, even in 275. Recoil aside, just seems a lot more practical to me in the field. If you go with a more traditional pistol grip, instead of a Price of Wales style, I’d put a trap there.

Good luck with your build! Let us know how it goes….
Thank you!
I’ve got a 375 being built by Lancaster at the moment to a spec which I’m happy with. It is coming with the H and H mounts and I’m likely to repeat the mounting system so that they at least look similar.
yes I think the red silvers recoil pads are definitely the way to go.

Here's mine

Pictures, please post pictures of your beauties. I’m sure @Red Leg will give you the answer you’re looking for.

What about a Highland Stalker? Done and done.

Ream it out to 7x57 Ackley Improved. (Can still shoot factory ammo quite accurately if desired, and it's how the larger, improved cartridge case is formed.) What species of deer and at what range? Order the right twist rate for the largest slugs. 140s-175s perform perfectly!

7 AI 140 NP 54 4350.jpg
IMG_20191002_200545965~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is

Lothar Walther barrel, profiled to match the Corbett .275.
25”
Recknagel trigger and rear sights.
Talley bases.
Front sight modified Recknagel to match Corbett / HS
Sling eyelet made - based on HS
3 position ‘Mod 70’ style safety - can’t remember which brand

Why not a Highland Stalker as is?
Hey KP,

In my case, I had a good small ring action and decent stock blank already on hand before the HS was released.

Although it took a while, I enjoyed custom build process.

I reckon the custom path ended up costing me about half what a new Rigby was selling for at the time.

Don’t get me wrong - I like the Highland Stalker a lot.(y)

A good friend of mine in the USA had a 7X57 built for himself. He used a Mexican Mauser action. The stock was built with the same trim lines of the of the rest of the rifle. To me it is still one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen. I will see if he can send me some pictures.

Lon

Thank you!
I’ve got a 375 being built by Lancaster at the moment to a spec which I’m happy with. It is coming with the H and H mounts and I’m likely to repeat the mounting system so that they at least look similar.
yes I think the red silvers recoil pads are definitely the way to go.
Just had a look at their website. I noticed that they have a Ron Wharton action and barrel with H&H mounts sitting there.
I bought a Ron Wharton rifle myself a couple of years ago In 275. The craftmanship is superb.
I would give that rifle serious consideration.

Hey KP,

In my case, I had a good small ring action and decent stock blank already on hand before the HS was released.

Although it took a while, I enjoyed custom build process.

I reckon the custom path ended up costing me about half what a new Rigby was selling for at the time.

Don’t get me wrong - I like the Highland Stalker a lot.(y)
Well yours looks every bit as good!

Thanks Gents (y)

It handles very nicely and is very accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg