The other love of your life

Fishing is a big part of my life, but boats.... bloody hell they are the best and worst things in life!

you should come up to my side of the world in northern Zambia on lake Tanganyika and participate in our annual fishing competition. I think you’d enjoy it.
6 days of enjoyment.
Those falcons do well on big water.
What do you catch there Pete?

What do you catch there Pete?
Mostly we target Nile Perch and Nkupi (not the same as Nkupe from the Zambezi)
We catch tiger, vundu, bream( if they’re big enough to weigh in) and a few others.
2 days on 5lb line. 3 days on 12lb line and 1 day open class 33lb line.

Making a boat is indeed a satisfying thing. Years ago during a varsity vac I made an SAS canvas canoe, used to load it on the top of the old VW beetle 1200. And head out. Three of us in it, rowed to an island on Kariba and camped for a few days. Milimetres of draft, sharp sticks, you think you are invincible when you are young.
Those kayaks the best I had one. Minimum draught and flip you could get into anywhere with it to catch fish. I did a couple of hunyani and umfuli river trips un mine great memories. Could easily Portage as could lift it with one arm.

Pete tell more
It’s called the Tanganyika Angling Challenge, it used to be called the Zambia National Fishing Competition. Started out in the 70’s and still going. The Comp has been through various iterations, rule changes and fishing styles being the main influencers.
you fish up to 3 anglers per team/boat. We fish in the Nsumbu National Park and surrounding waters.
first two days are limited to 5lb mono which is supplied by the committee. Next three days are limited to max 12lb mono as supplied. Sixth day is a $20/$50 buy in per angler with a single heaviest fish winning the pot. This is limited to 15kg line of your choice. We generally aim for 20+ teams. There are individual prizes, team prizes and the main aim is the overall team prizes which is taken as a total of your placing per day over the first 5 days. This is usually a $3k cash prize on its own.
hopefully we don’t have too much of an impact by covid this year and we can still get the sponsorships and support we need.
we focus as much as we can on catch and release, with a 10% bonus added to the weight for all live fish released.
there’s obviously a bunch more to it but its a pretty decent competition with a good crowd and lots of fun.
without wanting to derail the thread too much, I’ll attach a couple of pics here.

301AEC4C-7108-421C-98B1-742ABC14EBBF.jpeg

this was a 13ish kg perch caught on 5lb line
094606C5-A09F-4B38-BFE1-0C6F696E8157.jpeg

this was a +-$1,000 fish caught on day 6 of the “anything goes” comp
E1721EC5-9E0A-4A32-8B50-9BBEF6ECFBFE.jpeg

F779F225-9DD3-4354-A36F-C95E0CCD7321.jpeg

Our very merry team the day my missus informed me our family was going to grow. Needless to say we did lots of fishing but not much catching that day
AD252D7B-901C-4D37-B23D-A284E0472807.jpeg
C6E3D6FB-2EC1-44A9-BC2D-7C28849585D4.jpeg
15F2F5F3-761D-4D54-A7D2-596C029F9442.jpeg

18.5kg perch on 12lb line.
1E78AC80-1BE6-4A5F-9271-ECCF688E8185.jpeg

little bit of rain approaching.

Other than my 2 granddaughters and my wife and travel companion for 40 years here is my little piece of heaven on earth. Its a work in progress on a quarter section of raw northern Canadian bush.
IMG_20201229_121440.jpg

Actually, a Pee Can is what we use when its raining and we don't want to leave the tent.

Can anyone put a date to this little jeep? I dont know jeeps at all.
It will leak less oil than your series 1.....

Dont spend the money till you have the Heym.... :ROFLMAO:

"Carpe Piscem" ("Seize the Fish")--a 23 ft. Sportsman with a 200 hp Yamaha. Works OK for mahi, king macs, Spanish, cobia, grouper and other assorted bottom fish, and the occasional blackfin tuna.

Carpe Piscem in creek.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Carpe Piscem" ("Seize the Fish")--a 23 ft. Sportsman with a 200 hp Yamaha. Works OK for mahi, king macs, Spanish, cobia, grouper and other assorted bottom fish, and the occasional blackfin tuna.
Beautiful! Is that an F series Yamaha 4 stroke? I just put one on one of our boats.

It will leak less oil than your series 1.....

Dont spend the money till you have the Heym.... :ROFLMAO:
No chance of that, I am happily married to my Series 1. One more covid jab and I'll be down to heft a Heym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg