The 'nearly' perfect rifle? What would you change?

My perfect rifle oozes fine craftsmanship. Meticulous metalwork, engraving of my choice, blueing and/or color case hardening where I want it, wood of my choosing, caliber to fit the rifles intended use, subtle features such as those found on fine English rifles of old, etc.

I didn't say I could afford it or that it was even near my grasp. But it's fun to dream about.

My near perfect rifle is my MRC American Legend 30-06. I handled one at the SCI show a couple years ago and just had to order one. It just clicked with me. The only flaw I have found is if I pull the bolt all the way up it hits the scope and drags. I've learned to leave it down just a hair and it works fine.

for me at the moment for the game l hunt in my area this 6.5x284 is the near perfect rifle for me
l have kept the rifle standard with tweaks, bedding, trigger, mag box, bolt stop ect..., had the barrel changed and rechambered, what l would change is make it a CRF

a mate has one of the newer Winchesters CRF in 458 win mag with the plastic follower but changed out for a mauser 98 one, he had to tig the outsides and file it back then polish it because the mauser follower is a little thin but it works perfectly

0wQkZxr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@CBH Australia Larry Potterfield's near perfect 375 H&H probably fits a lot of bills as some shooters can get by with the recoil of a 375 but not do well with a 458 maybe just at the thought of it being a 458. If a husband & wife booked a hunt they might do okay with one 375 rifle.
Perfect is subjective no matter how one looks at it. Usable applies to everything.
Getting to specify every facet of a build is perfect for the person ordering.
If money and time were no object I would have a British maker build a DG DR with multiple barrel sets. Then I think if money is not an object why not complete guns instead of barrel sets. See how easy money slips back into the picture.
Build one show piece full engraving and one hunting piece?
Nicer trophies might show themselves if I am hunting with the show version. :)
I don't know if I could ever answer all the make it perfect questions. Call in updates after ordering?

For me the perfect rifles are those I have built for the intended hunt as I had been able to decide on what would work best for the particular animals and terrain I hunt (or hoped to hunt) and built a rifle to suit. May not suit everybody but they have certainly suited me and continue to do so from varmints to big game, I have something to hand that works well, fits me and in my eyes looks good doing so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!