The mythical single rifle

No I haven't.

That said, I actually took the question wrong. He specifically asked which "rifle" and I took it as only one gun to hunt with. So probably still a 375 H&H because it works very easily for smaller stuff but still large enough and most importantly legal for DG. I'll take it in a vintage Rigby bolt as well.
The sad part is I can't use my .338 LM even though it shoots the same 250 or 300 grain bullet just about 300fps faster than the 375 but it's not 'legal' for DG. I can load it down for whitetail or full power for just about anything else and ready set go haters!

For North America, hard to top the old mighty 30-06 with so many bullets to choose from and in normal times, ammo was easy to find. If you reload, even better, I'm starting to see more .30 bullets back in stock, powder and primers are still hard to find. You can shoot a 220 Gr. Nosler Partition and be right up there with the .35 Whelen & some 375 H& H loads.
Or you can just get a 35 Whelen and be ready for everything. A bit much for squirrels but will get the job done on anything you point it at.

As far as I know there are certain countries that restrict any caliber that was ever used in a war.
I might be wrong but I think France is one.
I don't know all the finer details but I read that a 308 is not allowed as it is basically a 7.62x 51.
They once were really happy to have the 30-06 and M1 Garand used in their country, seems rude that it is banned now!

I had a friend who conned me into shooting his encore with a 45-70 barrel and 410 grain load. Gave me a gash on top of my head that took 4 stitches to close. He sold the barrel after that, he had never fired it. I got even by having him shoot a friends 450 nitro express double rifle. At h least he didn’t need stitches to stem the bleeding. What are fiends for?
Oh hell, just loaded some 405 hard cast lead bullets for my 45-70 Katadin barrel with open sights, should I be nervous?

Hi y’all, I’m new here and I was just curious. If you could own 1 and only 1 rifle for hunting for the rest of your life what would it be? Any action, any caliber.

Nick
Come on man! Don't even think about it - it is much worse situation than Sophie's choice :D

But to pick up the gauntlet:
If anybody wants to hunt "the most of" the world (and preferably legally :cool:) I would think a bit out of box (regarding previous responses).

Definitely break action combination rifle. Because hunting birds brings huge amount of meat to our tables too ;)
A rifles can be found (definitively in Europe) which combine shotgun, rimfire and centerfire barrels into one (though massive) package.
That could cover it all. This is Your answer.

My choice was Brno Combo O/U in 9.3x74R/12 gauge. Except for the smallest critters even elephants can be legally hunted with this (e.g. Zimbabwe, if I am not mistaken).

Last edited:
I suppose it's legitimate to name a rifle I already have: a Krieghoff Ulm Primus Bockbüchsflinte in calibers 7X75 SE vom Hofe/12 gauge, with full length insert barrel in 6X52R Brettschneider (.25-35 necked down to 6mm, or .22 Savage High Power necked up). Add a pair of 12 gauge shot barrels with screw in chokes, and I'm all set for whatever plains game may come along, plus any kind of game bird.
I came across some photos of the rifle I was referring to. The second photo shows the rifle in the process of having the scope mount installed.
Ulm Primus 002.JPG
Ulm Primus 004.JPG

CZ 550 9.3x62 Barnes 286 TSX one and done
I like the rifle choice but not a fan of any of the all copper bullets. My trial of them resulted in terrible copper fouling of my bore after only 20 rounds. The clean up was long and tedious. I really like the Norma oryx line of bullets.

I like the rifle choice but not a fan of any of the all copper bullets. My trial of them resulted in terrible copper fouling of my bore after only 20 rounds. The clean up was long and tedious. I really like the Norma oryx line of bullets.
The copper bullets are generally fine but I suspect you may have a tight rifling/bore a thus the lead ones foul less in your barrel. Stick to leaded. I like Oryx bullets a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross