The most used item on a recent trip to Botswana

• Thread starter Deleted member 43267
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43267

Individual pouches of gatorade.

Before my recent trip, I visited a travel medicine clinic for immunizations, and they recommended drip drop hydration powder from Wahlgreens. Berry flavor. I do not live near any of their stores, so I mail-ordered two 8-packs of individual gatorade pouches because I am OK with the flavors. I had never thought much about dehydration, but decided to take them because I had been told to to, even though I was close to my weight and space limit.

I had a few days in Maun prior to hunting, and we did some standard tourist things. Three game viewing guides I met at the camp bar told me that clients who drink bottled water alone often get dehydrated and pass out, and that I should add a bit of powder to any bottled water I drink because the popular brands in Botswana are all reverse osmosis with zero minerals. Then, my PH said the same thing. I did, and by the end of the trip we were down to 2 packets because everyone was asking for them. I was happy to share them freely, and it was amazing how even some very fit and conscientious people were getting dehydrated so quickly and experiencing symptoms. My strategy was to mix it full strength and keep a bottle in the cooler. A few sips occasionally along with plenty of bottled water worked well. We also had some folks with digestive upsets, and it helped them too. Those packets are now on my packing list for the next trip.

I posted this because I almost did not bother include them, but they turned out to be useful.

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 8.28.23 PM.png

Excellent advice! I struggled a little with the same thing on my recent trip to Zim. My PH started giving me packets to put in my bottled water ocassionally. It helped a lot!
Thanks for posting this (y)

I use Skratch labs mix.....

Liked the Camelbak Elixor tablets, but discontinued. Hate the taste of Nuun tablets, but like the convenience.

Always use something when hiking, same on hunts.

Good info and easy to do! Thanks! I thought I was just getting old! Now I have an “elixir” to fix me(y)!

I have to agree with Wayne, in SA there is something called a Castle which works wonders for hydration :D Cheers:

Totally agree! However, while I was in Angola, I avoided the local brew, Cuca, and opted for the Portuguese import.

upload_2018-8-29_13-53-4.png

Cera Sport is what you seek. It’s the product of choice for SOCOM units and it flat out works better than anything else I’ve tried.

I personally prefer to think bourbon or whiskey can give me electrolytes, but in the event I have too many of those drinks I prefer Ultima Replenisher. It comes in "to go sticks" that you can dump in a water bottle, and shake up. It can be bought off of amazon.
https://www.ultimareplenisher.com/

Hate the taste of Nuun tablets, but like the convenience.
Wife and I use Nuun blueberry-pomegranate.
Had a few of the Nuun tabs we didn't like, but these are pretty good.
And yes, very convenient.

Thanks for sharing

Most bottled water, is reverse osmosis with baking soda added for taste. And generally that will not remove all the dissolved solids. I have never heard that removing the dissolved solids was a problem. Certainly adding electrolytes is beneficial.

Most bottled water, is reverse osmosis with baking soda added for taste. And generally that will not remove all the dissolved solids. I have never heard that removing the dissolved solids was a problem. Certainly adding electrolytes is beneficial.
Adding baking soda would create CO2. RO (reverse osmosis) bottled water is straight water. If you taste it immediately after bottling, it tastes like crap. In fact if you drink it in the first 24 hours, it will make you sick. It has to sit. It will regain it’s “water” flavor.
Most .5 litter bottles are “flood filled”, meaning that the bottle is filled to overflowing and then capped. This keeps out oxygen. If not flood filled, they come out of the filler and are capped in a nitrogen saturated environment which fills the gap between the water and the top of bottle.

Looked at a bottle, says sodium bicarbonate, last I checked that was baking soda

I personally prefer to think bourbon or whiskey can give me electrolytes, but in the event I have too many of those drinks I prefer ...

I am a fan of sourmash whisky myself, but I know how seriously it can dehydrate me. Good in the evening, not so good the rest of the time.

I use Skratch labs mix.....

+1 for scratch

scratch + sodium tablets and potassium tablets if you are really putting out effort. that's what i've used on motorcycle track days in UT and NV when fully suited up in leather and helmet and it's 100+ on the track. really keeps you in top shape

Of course! I was just posting additional information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois