The Mossberg Patriot...have the bugs been fixed in the big bores?

Ridge Runner

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I have the Mossberg Patriot in 30-06 and really like it: out of the box accuracy, 1.5 pound trigger pull, etc.

I heard/ read that Mossberg was having several problems with the Patriot in .375 and .416 calibers.

Does anyone know if these problems have been resolved?

I picked up the. 375 a bit ago and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but we have 2 mossberg 6.5s and if it's anything like those it will be a very good rifle

Need someone to really put it through some abuse. After my trouble I’ll take all my DG rifles and work the bolt hard and try to create malfunctions. Do more than casually shoot from a bench then need the thing to work well under stress.
Philip

I'd love to see someone put one of these through a real torture test.. and see how it shakes out..

I've got exactly 1 mossberg rifle in the safe.. I bought an ATR "Bantam" (predates the patriot) about 10 years ago in .243 as a "starter" or loaner rifle for kids, ladies, etc.. (I always seem to be loaning guns to someone for something).. It hasnt come out of the safe in a long time at this point.. but the little bit of use it has seen, it has performed perfectly..

I some how missed this post in the spring I do have the Patriot in 375 Ruger and I love it. Mine is plastic stocked and Marinecoted (ugly @$$ silver color) but like an ugly dog that’s a good hunter I have gotten over the looks. Never had feeding issues except when I’m trying to open action with one hand and catch brass with the other and I knock the brass back down into the action. Because it has a detachable magazine I did order a second magazine just in case I knock it out in the field. As soon as I got the second magazine I tested it and it would always last round down in the magazine out. I fiddled around with it for an evening and noticed that it seemed like follower was stiffer than original one with the rifle. So I disassembled both to compare them the follower spring zigzag wire spring like in a pistol or AR magazine not a flat spring in a Mauser the new spring had twice the length spring as the one that came with the rifle so I grabbed the wire cutters and went to work now I have two mags and a extra spring in case one fails. Mine is more accurate than I am well under a inch with cloverleaf possible when I get it right. I have only taken 1 deer and a couple groundhogs with it but it’s my go to gun right now I put a 2-7 scope on it but think it would be better served with 3-9 or 4-12 where I hunt 20-450 yard view. If I were to get into thick brush moving a lot I probably would use a piece of black duct tape to secure magazine in place and top feed it. Not that it has been fell out before but I think it’s possible. Is it a rifle that will be worth more than I paid for it one day no is it a rifle that catches other’s eye and makes them want to look at it no unless they see the hole in the barrel will it’s leaning in a rack or against a tree. Will I hunt in foul weather or drag it behind me in a brush thicket yes I will does it operate without giving me trouble yes and it puts the bullet exactly where I tell it even when I for some reason tell it to go where I didn’t want it to. I will add that it doesn’t like a squeaky clean barrel after a good cleaning it takes 4-5 shots to get it under a inch group it’s not terrible but noticeable all would kill large game but I noticed it so after it’s shot to check zero and to get in practice it stays dirty till season is over. For less than $600 I have gun glass and dies it also lead me to AH and 404 Jeffery so all is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg