Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
I know I'm going to step on a few toes here, so I apologise in advance. Please understand that offending is not my goal.

I have shot my fair share of truly remarkable beasts. Most notably a 26.5" impala ram I shot at the age of 13. I was once obsessed with records; like most young men, I am very competitive and having set records in various sporting disciplines I foolishly applied this way of thinking to hunting. I must confess my utter disappointment in myself.

2 years ago, I was culling zebra up in a mountain range nearish to the North Western boarder of the Kruger. It had been a tough few days as it was the end of the season and the herds had taken to the hills to avoid the hunters that had come before me.
One particular morning, after about 3 hours of climbing, stalking and multiple busts, I stopped to take a break and regroup my thoughts. I had just botched another stalk as a result of a duiker I hadn't seen sitting on the opposite end of a bush I had chosen to hide behind. Off he went, taking a beautiful stallion and 2 mares with him… Damn.
I unchambered and walked a further half km to a sight that will remain with me till the day I die: Before me was a red forest. A piece of land no bigger than about 300 square meters of nothing but blood-red sand and around 100 acacia trees. This sight, coupled with a few hornbills and the golden light brought me to tears. I sat up against the stump of a fallen karoo, taking in the magical sights and sounds around me.
In the hour or so I spent in that forest, a lot had changed in me. I had allowed a competitive nature and big city habit to taint that which gave meaning to my life. I thought back to my first hunt; the sense of utter amazement, love and wonder I had felt for everything around me. I had grown complaisant since then, lost sight of what was truly important.
Needless to say, I have never made that mistake again. My competitive streak now manifests differently: Instead of looking for a bull that makes others jealous, I look for the animal that resonates most with me. As a result, my hunts usually lead me to an old bull/cow, well passed his/her prime either with a broken horn or a shabby coat that I feel deserves both a quick and honorable death.

It's important that we as hunters don't forget why we hunt. A beautiful bull is something everyone can appreciate, but let's not forget what hunting is truly about. Hunting should be a personal pursuit, void of ego and selfish desire. To kill for the purpose is a record is disrespectful to both you and the animal. Remember, you're taking a life for the purpose of bragging rights… In my opinion, a true hunter would never do such a thing.

As a final point, I would like to challenge all of you who may have lost sight of the magic of hunting to try find it again. Hunting game on a high fence piece of land with bought game may result in you claiming that world record, but is it really worth it when the essence of hunting is almost completely forgotten? Hunt free range, respect yourself and your prey and always take time to appreciate where you are and what is around you. After all, isn't experiencing the soul of Africa and some of her intimate secrets more important than the bragging rights you may get back home from harvesting an animal that was bred to be shot?

full

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lot of truth in what you said. When my sons and I hunt white tail deer in Michigan our hunts are as you suggested, i.e. free range, no fences etc. That being said our upcoming safari will be on concessions totaling a quarter million acres. The reason being, that this may likely be the only time I get to hunt in Africa (I'm almost 73). I agree with you in spirit, however opportunity and cost are factors that I must consider. Your opening line of no offense intended is answered by my closing line, no offense taken.

AF,

You had me sold right up to the point of dragging the "free range" comment out of the closet once again... The debate over free range vs. high fenced and how the concept of fair chase factors into these variables has been done to death on this and most other hunting forums. Yet, I suppose that it is inevitable that it has to make an appearance every now and then...

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion on high fence, just as I am entitled to disagree with you. I firmly believe that fair chase can be accomplished on high fence properties, and the challenge and accomplishment of taking an animal on the right properties should not be diminished.... All high fence properties in Africa are NOT put & take properties as I'm sure you must realize. I'm also fairly certain that even game animals hunted on unfenced properties are bred and managed to be eventually shot...? If hunting Africa was only available to those who could afford to hunt truly free range, unfenced properties, I'm afraid very few of us would ever get to experience the wonders of Africa that you elude to in your narrative.

I could personally care less about records, and that is absolutely not among the reasons that I hunt. Ever hunter gets something different from their own hunting experiences. Challenge, accomplishment, and reward are all very subjective terms when it comes to hunters and what they take from their hunts. But, to suggests that these concepts are only obtainable on unfenced properties is a bit short-sighted....

I had been trying to kill and impala ram spot & stalk for years. 6 safaris and 30-40 blown stalks later, I had the best stalk of my life. On my last safari, I spotted a beautiful, mature impala ram early in the safari. He was coming out in the mornings to feed on the new green sprouts growing on the river bank along with another 20 head of eyes and ears. Between the wrong wind, storks, other impalas, or baboons blowing my cover, I was never able to put a successful stalk on him. Finally, one morning, everything fell into place....I crawled 300 yards on my knees over a period of 2 hours through acacia thorns and then through mud on my stomach the last 75 yards on the banks of the Limpopo River to get within 35 yards of this big black-faced impala ram. When I finally peeked up to range him, I had so much adrenaline rushing through my body I could hardly draw my bow. The gentle breeze in my face sounded like thunder across my ears. From my knees, I put an arrow through both lungs and watched him crash just over the top of the river bank. The combination of exhaustion, the physical pain, the adrenaline dump, and the overall sense of accomplishment was overwhelming and very emotional. It was hunting/life experience that I will never forget. So, I guess I need to put an *asterisks by this one because this all took place on a 10K acre fenced property?

The magic is in the beauty of the surroundings.

Not going to get into the high fence debate...but think the OP was referring to 50 acre camps where these expensive world record animals are put. @firehuntfish 10k acre is a total different game, might be high fenced, but you going to work your butt off as well. Glad you were rewarded with your impala.

@Shootist43, I'm glad I haven't offended, my point is rather that I hope we can all take a step back and try and remember what hunting is really about rather than condemn one form of hunting or another. Hunting is not cheep, I understand completely.
I do not wish to bash game farms by any means, perhaps I was a little over absolute on the matter. Concessions work beautifully as it's usually a piece of a much larger piece of land. So much so that it will take on the characteristics of an open system. My worry comes in where guys book these hunts and receive an artificial experience. I feel that this SCI and rowland ward thing has perhaps lost its initial meaning. I completely understand the need for game breeders and high-fenced farms… Where I get lost is where trophy size becomes more important than the hunting experience.

On that note, I really hope you enjoy your hunt! What's on the menu? Don't forget, we want pictures and a detailed write up!

I would like to add something: A lot of game can't be controlled by fences: Eland, kudu, warthog and any of the tiny antelope. But can you imagine coming to hunt in RSA for the very first and last time hoping to take a truly wild sable, only to find that the bull spent his whole life in a boma and is now being sold off to the highest bidder? That would upset me. Africa is meant to be wild. Personally, I'd much sooner outsmart an old craft kudu bull that grew up wild and has a broken left horn than bag a 60" bull that had been pampered. Just my 2c.

Last edited:
The vast majority of folks visiting Africa will be plainsgame hunters. For many of these folks, this will be there first and unfortunately only African experience. It is critically important that they are not dissuaded by inaccurate generalizations over free range vs. high fence as it pertains to Africa specifically. Too many North American hunters have a negative opinion of high fence hunting and rightfully so in most instances. When they hear the term "high fence" it is almost immediately equated to a few hundred acre pen where genetically manipulated whitetails are being sold to the highest bidder.... It is very important for them to realize that this is not what they are to encounter with any REPUTABLE African outfit.

I would like to add something: A lot of game can't be controlled by fences: Eland, kudu, warthog and any of the tiny antelope. I've even seen gemsbok jump some pretty large fences. But can you imagine coming to hunt in RSA for the very first and last time hoping to take a truly wild sable, only to find that the bull spent his whole life in a boma and is now being sold off to the highest bidder? That would upset me. Africa is meant to be wild. Personally, I'd much sooner outsmart an old craft kudu bull that grew up wild and has a broken left horn than bag a 60" bull that had been pampered. Just my 2c.

Absolutely agree... Unfortunately, what is meant to be and what is practical in today's world are not the same.... If we could just get 3-4 billion people to voluntarily take their own lives and make some room on this planet, then we can talk about what is meant to be...

Until then, that is where good research and due diligence comes into play when researching the right outfit for the type of African experience you are looking for..

Last edited:
I had been trying to kill and impala ram spot & stalk for years. 6 safaris and 30-40 blown stalks later, I had the best stalk of my life. On my last safari, I spotted a beautiful, mature impala ram early in the safari. He was coming out in the mornings to feed on the new green sprouts growing on the river bank along with another 20 head of eyes and ears. Between the wrong wind, storks, other impalas, or baboons blowing my cover, I was never able to put a successful stalk on him. Finally, one morning, everything fell into place....I crawled 300 yards on my knees over a period of 2 hours through acacia thorns and then through mud on my stomach the last 75 yards on the banks of the Limpopo River to get within 35 yards of this big black-faced impala ram. When I finally peeked up to range him, I had so much adrenaline rushing through my body I could hardly draw my bow. The gentle breeze in my face sounded like thunder across my ears. From my knees, I put an arrow through both lungs and watched him crash just over the top of the river bank. The combination of exhaustion, the physical pain, the adrenaline dump, and the overall sense of accomplishment was overwhelming and very emotional. It was hunting/life experience that I will never forget. So, I guess I need to put an *asterisks by this one because this all took place on a 10K acre fenced property?

@firehuntfish that sounds like an amazing stalk ~ congratulations on your impala and all your success.

I think that hunting is a deeply personal experience for each individual hunter. While we can share in the experiences, emotions, triumphs, and challenges, the core motivation to hunt is totally individual. It springs from things like childhood memories, a love of nature and the outdoors, a desire for adventure, a sense of accomplishment, a need to overcome a disappointment, a nostalgia for the romantic days of hunting past, the bonds of friendship with fellow hunters, the pride in a trophy taken after extreme effort, etc etc etc.

Each of us loves the hunt for any number of reasons or all of the reasons. Rather than arguing that only one style of hunt is appropriate or ethical or challenging enough or whatever, we should celebrate and share in the success of each of our fellow hunters, regardless of how they personally define success or how/where they hunted.

I, for one, enjoy every story of hunting, whether it be over a camp fire or reading it here on the forums. Thank you to everyone for sharing their adventures - they keep me motivated and excited about hunting everyday.

I look forward to adding my own hunting story to AH in a couple of months.

This was my first African trophy. Walk and stalk in Namibia near Otavi. It was very special that it was an Eland. I had not intended to hunt Eland at that point in time I was after a Kudu bull and if successful I'd hunt Eland. I went to this area knowing it had one of then largest free ranging herds on the continent.
I asked the PH if he was a good one, I had not been to PH school yet and was utterly clueless about trophy judging. He looked incredible to me and when the reply was a "yes", I decided I was hunting Eland.
I still remember vividly coming around a corner in the path and seeing him with two other bulls and backing away on the sandy trail in the dry river bed to go retrieve my camera. Insane in the midst of hunting to head back to the vehicle three hundred yards and get a camera only to redo the stalk. Sneaking along the sandy path I was able to get within one hundred yards undetected and lean into the notch of a tree and take my shot in to the clearing. In a minor panic I shot again when he did not react. It turns out Eland are large animals and can absorb a lot of energy without so much as a flinch. Two in the boiler room and the tracking started a few minutes later. Obviously we worked it out with several lessons along the way.

I am a trophy hunter and I often measure horns, but mysteriously I do not recall ever putting a tape to this Eland. I have never entered any trophy in a book although I have entered local horn measuring awards periods for fun. I am not better because of the success or the size of the trophy. It's another way to appreciate an animal and restrict yourself to selective off take.

I'll keep measuring, it just does not have to stop you looking at the other trophies that area available.

IMG_1135.jpg

This is one of my memorable trophies from Botswana. Taken an about 6 feet with an iPhone. I left him sleeping in the shade. Being that quiet and sneaky was an incredible trophy.
IMG_1102.jpg

Another, crawling around on the spine on the top of South Africa hunting.
DSCN9162.jpg

Sitting in a bow blind watching the sun come up in the east. Amazing.
IMG_1675.jpg

Seeing wild Sable in their own habitat in Mozambique was something I will not forget. How can a solid black animal hide from you?

IMG_8776.jpg

Oh, yeah. This one was a great trophy. Sia hunting for the first time in his life.

IMG_4121.jpg

Bow hunting for three days and having my ass handed to me repeatedly by this smart old Ram. He held in cover within 15 feet of me. All guts.

P1000289.jpg

I have thousands more images that are trophies. I measure them every last time I look at them and share them.

Last edited:
It's funny you posted this now. I have been going back and forth with myself on if I wanted to hold out for really large horned animals or just take the first thing the PH greenlighted. In looking on here extensively at all the pics I came to the realization that there were certain shapes of horns for each species I preferred over others and usually I liked them even better than ones that horns measuring significantly longer. It reminded me of my son and I's first moose hunt last fall. We saw a few decent moose but couldn't get a shot that worked for an 11 Y/O. Finally in the remnants of a hurricane we saw a huge bodied moose, which I put a shot in to slow down and the boy finished. When we got to him we found he had antlers like an elk. It wasn't much to look at but very unique. The most important thing was that I didn't care about it at all. It was all about the total hunt, being with my son on the first moose permit we had ever drawn, and enjoying being out in woods observing nature. The next day he shot a bear at 200yds off sticks. It turned out to be 65lbs. He was ecstatic, it was his first bear, he made the call, and shot it on his own. He never thought about the size, it was just the hunt. The trip yielded nothing close to book but it is the most memorable hunt I have ever had and even Africa will have a hard time topping it. Why? Because we enjoyed our time out there and time spent together rather than basing it on the kills. I have decided I will look to shoot animals that when I see them make me think " That is one nice looking animal" If the horns turn out to be small so be it, I know I like it and that's what matters. I'd rather have a non record book animal I liked than a world record, that when I looked at it I thought "boy that is one ugly animal, I'm going to have to get a better looking one" (example: The huge kudu there is pics on here of with the one tall spectacular horn but the other is a huge weird looking open spiral- honestly wouldn't have cared to shoot that myself, but that is my personal choice)

As for high fence, when you are talking thousands of acres it is basically the same as wild unless you are purposely driving them to the fence. In america if you get a place that is hundreds of acres it is considered big and is still a joke. I would not hunt one. But in Africa when I'm in the middle of 10k-20k acres I know it will make no difference to me. On that moose hunt we would drive from place to place and get out and call as we still hunted a section of likely looking forest, then try again. It would take all day and I doubt we covered 10K acres. Some days we didn't see any moose and I guarantee they never left that area of less than 10k acres.

Basically I agree with the getting back to hunting for what is is thing. You should be enjoying not only the hunt but the area around you and what nature has to offer. But I think we need to stop getting on each other about where we hunt as long as it is fair chase . And yes thousand of acres fenced is fair chase. If you just run at the animals in something that size, I guarantee you will lose them and likely not find them again for a long time, if at all. Seems pretty fair to me. Like I said as long as you aren't using vehicle to herd them against the fence its all good. That being said I get the free range thing as well. There is something about being out in the wild with no barriers. I think it's more about my own feelings than the animals ability to escape however that is the draw.

Last edited:
@BRICKBURN , love that neck on your eland. 8 years down the line, going to be some great sable trophies.

I agree with most on here. I hunt for the experience, not for the record book. I love big horns and antlers (I think we all do), but it isn't the most important part of hunting for me. I have never had any of my animals measured. In my opinion, scores are for hockey games. If I like the look of an animal, I am happy to take it. If it was an exciting or hard hunt, all the better. It sweetens the reward.

My favourite whitetail was a buck that my 10 year old stepson rattled in for me on the second last day of the season in 2010. I'd guesstimate that he would measure 130-140 B&C, which is not big here in Saskatchewan. But coming down to the wire and seeing the look on my stepson's face, then listening to him brag to Grandpa on how he rattled in that buck will stay with me forever.

Conversely, on my trip to Namibia in 2014, I was disappointed with my first African animal. It was a Steenbok that my PH spotted from the bakkie and told me to shoot. I couldn't even see the horns on it when I shot, but had been advised to listen to my PH. It turned out to be at best an average sized ram (we would see dozens bigger), and it just wasn't how I wanted my first African kill to unfold.

However, the trip as a whole was a life changing experience. The beauty of it along with the different animals, birds and bugs had me as excited as a little kid again. Stalking the animals gave me buck fever again, which I haven't experienced in years here at home. To just experience Africa was worth everything just in itself. I can't wait to come back to hunt and I'll be leaving the tape measure in the toolbox!

The experience should outweigh the trophy in my opinion. Great post

I have always said, "the hunt makes the trophy, the trophy doesn't make the hunt".

AF,

You had me sold right up to the point of dragging the "free range" comment out of the closet once again... The debate over free range vs. high fenced and how the concept of fair chase factors into these variables has been done to death on this and most other hunting forums. Yet, I suppose that it is inevitable that it has to make an appearance every now and then...

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion on high fence, just as I am entitled to disagree with you. I firmly believe that fair chase can be accomplished on high fence properties, and the challenge and accomplishment of taking an animal on the right properties should not be diminished.... All high fence properties in Africa are NOT put & take properties as I'm sure you must realize. I'm also fairly certain that even game animals hunted on unfenced properties are bred and managed to be eventually shot...? If hunting Africa was only available to those who could afford to hunt truly free range, unfenced properties, I'm afraid very few of us would ever get to experience the wonders of Africa that you elude to in your narrative.

I could personally care less about records, and that is absolutely not among the reasons that I hunt. Ever hunter gets something different from their own hunting experiences. Challenge, accomplishment, and reward are all very subjective terms when it comes to hunters and what they take from their hunts. But, to suggests that these concepts are only obtainable on unfenced properties is a bit short-sighted....

@firehuntfish

I completely agree. I will admit that I sometimes use the word high fence, also. I think it is just misunderstood by some. I had family that once went to SA for a hunt and it was on a "high fence" property. The only difference was that the property was approximately 500,000 acres. I got to see photos after the hunt and realized that it really was fair chase.

On the other hand, I know someone that went to Mexico fora trophy mule deer hunt. When he got down there, the deer was tied to a tree! He was so disgusted he walked off and left without paying the outfitter. Some choice words were exchanged.

Maybe we should refer to these as "canned hunts?"

Here is the problem I see when any hunter tries to tell another what is right or wrong with the way they hunt. We all hunt for are own reason and if done in the correct way some fence or no fence does not make the hunt better in any way.

I think we all agree some animal that is stocked in a super small area just to be hunted by some guy who has the money does not make most of us happy me being one of them. But I don't care if it is 1000 acres or 100,000 acres if the place has breeding herds of animals living and being born on that land it is hunting.

If I looked at how big a piece of land makes what most say is big enough none of the deer I hunted in Pa would be good enough for most. Most of my deer were hunted on 4 acres or less with private land all around it. No fence but far from the 1000's of acres most think make it a fair hunt. Now if you look at the truth it is 4 acres with thousands of acres around. No fence but someone hears 4 acres and the word hunt some may get the wrong idea without knowing the rest.

WE tend to get caught up on certain things by the way they sound and judge by some numbers that really are only a small part of what the hunt maybe or not be.
Just like we judge someone for wanting to take the biggest they can. I know it sounds great to say I hunt for the mature animal but we all go looking for the best we can find and it is just by luck what animal you come across first. Maybe it is that old 50" kudu and that makes your day but there is no one passing up a 55" kudu to go look for a smaller one just because they want a smaller one. They may pass up the bigger one because it is young or for many other reason they may have but I call bs on anyone saying they pass on the bigger because they wanted a smaller one.

Lets just stop judging each other over fence or no fence or trophy hunting over non trophy hunting there is room for us all. And yes even though it is not for me there is room for the guy who wants to buy his trophy by the inch.

@billc

I see your point, but there definitely is a difference in hunting and harvesting. I'm not putting down anyone who is hunting, no matter the size of land or size of trophy. But the general population will judge and vote against hunters if we do not differentiate the two.

Hunting on a small plot with no/low fence is very different than hunting the same plot with a high fence and no chance of escape. I know many people who are non hunters who have no problem with hunting, trophy or otherwise, as long as it is fair chase. Whether animals are bred on the property or not, if it doesn't look like the animals have a chance of escape, non hunters will frown on it.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the public perception will play a huge role in the future of hunting.

That is kind of my point. If I just told people now a days I only hunted 4 acres they would think bad ideas right away. There is difference with certain animals and sizes of land also. It is always better to not put down others though because that is how we got in the boat we are in now. When certain hunters talk bad about high fenced hunting even if it is on thousands of acres how do you think the public will ever be ok with it.

I can tell you right now you hunt a 100 acres in SA for a bushbuck it will feel like a 1000 if it is in the typical bush they live in. Put that bush buck in a 1000 acre dessert with only a 100 yd patch of bush it will be a shoot only. Which sounds better the 100 acres or the 1000. Non hunters do not get what details matter on how fair a hunt can be.

We as hunters made the problem we are facing with all the talk of what we each think is fair and then judging others if we did not like it. Why because someone wants there lion to be better then the other guys. Or his kudu is better because it was free range in Namibia not a fenced game ranch in SA.

I do get what your saying but it is not always as simple as it may appear to be and we as hunter should not make the problem bigger.

@billc
I do understand what you're saying, and I don't think I put anyone down about how they hunt.

But I do think certain words have a connotation to them that we maybe shouldn't use, such as "high fence."

The immediate imagery in a person's mind is of a fence where animals cannot escape. That first impression is what makes the difference. As hunters, maybe it's how we describe the hunt that invokes the wrong image, not so much the hunting itself. Just my own philosophical opinion.

I was not talking about you putting down hunters at all. More less making the same point you said at the end of your last post. We put the wrong words out for them to use to make us look bad. We have ourselves as hunter to blame for a lot of the problems we face. I don't care how you say it though anti hunter will never support hunters. We need to stop the fighting between all us hunters though so they can not use that to make there points to the people on the fence about hunting.

I have said it more then once that sometimes because you may not like a certain type of hunting not putting it down maybe the best way to go about it. As hunters we have the right to pick the way we hunt so if it is something you don't like you can always just not do it with out bad mouthing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,