The Long Road To Africa

If you're hunting springhares for the pot off a truck at night, you might go through half that .275. There probably wouldn't be too much left though.
e-laugh.gif

Final preparations are complete. The primary game we will be hunting is Lion, Cape Buffalo, Rhino (Dart and dehorn), Kudu, Impala, Zebra, Baboon, and Gemsbok. One area I do have consternation: has anyone self filmed their hunt using Tactacam? If so, how the heck did you mount it so you were able to get any decent footage? Gun mount moves too much from the recoil, chest mount doesn't stay (and looks ridiculous) and the hat cam is heavy, hot, and cumbersome. I've spent the last two weeks at the range trying to find a reasonable solution to no avail.

Final preparations are complete. The primary game we will be hunting is Lion, Cape Buffalo, Rhino (Dart and dehorn), Kudu, Impala, Zebra, Baboon, and Gemsbok. One area I do have consternation: has anyone self filmed their hunt using Tactacam? If so, how the heck did you mount it so you were able to get any decent footage? Gun mount moves too much from the recoil, chest mount doesn't stay (and looks ridiculous) and the hat cam is heavy, hot, and cumbersome. I've spent the last two weeks at the range trying to find a reasonable solution to no avail.
Hire a professional. IIRC, there are members here that have had their hunts filmed and the costs were reasonable.

@gcbailey
Great start, fir a grearest adventure to come.
I am following with great interest.

Re, rifle transport, i took the scope on qd mounts, in hand luggage. I felt better like that.

On travelling clothes. I always travel in safari clothes. In case luggage is lost or delayed, i can still go hinting next day

I was thinking about that myself but how to you vacuum them back down for return trip?
All thatched huts are outfitted with central vacuum systems...

Damn, I feel inadequate after reading all this packing advice. 2 shorts, 2 shirts , 2 pair of underwear, 2 pair socks, light jacket, boots and sandals. Wear a set of hunting clothes and Courtney’s. Rifle, case, ammo, pocketknife. Light. Alright, I’m ready. Usually pack the morning I’m leaving. Oh, and passport, wallet.

wish I was half as organized as you guys. It’s got me through 7 safaris so far, though.

Best of luck on your trip! Looking forward to reading about it

In only a few short hours that is quickly approaching, I will be boarding the plane that will finally take me to Africa. I am feeling a lot of emotions right now and I don’t know that I’ll really begin to be comfortable until the plane leaves the runway and I know I am on my way for sure. I will provide a hunt report, as promised, once I return and have processed everything. I would like to thank the fantastic group members here for their words of encouragement and advice. This has been a fantastic and rewarding journey already thanks to your contributions, and I haven’t even arrived in Africa yet!

Have fun go with open mind and enjoy the ride.

The plane will land.
You will clear the papers. They will take you to the camp. Then you will test and zero the rifle on local range.
Then the action will start, and you just follow the stream.

In the evening after long day, take few notes, because million things will be happening, some can be forgotten. So, take notes, and when having the time, make report.
I look fwd to it!

You are upon the great adventure!

Safe travels and happy hunting! We are all looking forward to hear about your adventures upon your return! (teaser pics during the hunt are not frowned upon :D )

please continue looking forward to future installments

In only a few short hours that is quickly approaching, I will be boarding the plane that will finally take me to Africa. I am feeling a lot of emotions right now and I don’t know that I’ll really begin to be comfortable until the plane leaves the runway and I know I am on my way for sure. I will provide a hunt report, as promised, once I return and have processed everything. I would like to thank the fantastic group members here for their words of encouragement and advice. This has been a fantastic and rewarding journey already thanks to your contributions, and I haven’t even arrived in Africa yet!
Ah GC that is part of the magic of the first trip. The anticipation of finally getting underway and the realization that it's finally happening. Kinda like that first kiss from your high school sweetheart, LOL. Enjoy the trip. Experience all Africa has to offer. You only live once so enjoy it to the fullest. Good hunting.

Greetings! As a new member of AH forums and first time Africa hunter, I wanted to share my journey from start to finish. There are three reasons for my desire to do so. First, I hope that as I share my plans, thoughts, and experiences, those of you who are more seasoned will chime in and ensure I am on the right path by providing me with feedback and recommendations. Second, I hope that other new hunters to Africa will learn from my successes and mistakes so they may have an even more enjoyable hunt. Finally, this will be way for me to create a journal of sorts, so I can capture every detail of my experience. This report will be written in three parts:

PART 1: Planning. In Part 1, I will discuss how I fell in love with the idea of hunting in Africa, how and why I chose the firearms for the trip, why I chose the particular game animals, and how and why I chose my PH.

PART 2: Preparation. In the second part, I will provide my full packing list. Many of you who have travelled to Africa will have some great pointers in this section and I openly welcome your comments, whether good, bad, or indifferent.

PART 3: Hunt Report / Reflections. In the third and final part, I will provide hunt photos, hopefully video of the hunt, what went wrong, what went right, what I would change, and what I will always cherish. I imagine I will also have some reflection on the hunt and what it meant, being this is a hunt of a lifetime for me.

My hunt is not for another 6 months so I will say this now, well in advance. I like quality representations of game species and will be more than happy just hunting game. Should I be fortunate enough to hunt a record animal, that is certainly an unexpected bonus, but even so, I may choose to leave that for the next hunter who is looking for a true trophy. I say all that so when I return and people begin with the “it’s horns only have a curl and a half” or “I passed up six buff bigger than that,” I can quell any argument that accuses me of trying to justify my less than record size game. I am NOT going to Africa looking for record book worthy game and I am saying it now, before my soles even touch the sands of Africa.
@gcbailey
That's a great philosophy mate. I never went there looking for record book trophies. Just a good representation of the game I was after was fine for me. The fun of the hunt and just being there was the real joy for me. The game made it even more enjoyable so win win. Leave the tape measure at home.
Bob

gc, that's the way to approach your hunt. On my first trip I told my PH I was not interested in getting my name in Rowland Wards hallowed book but that I wanted good representatives of the animals I would harvest. We had a grand hunt. As it was I did take a gold medal impala and gemsbok. That was just icing on the cake. Enjoy your hunt and looking forward to hearing how things progress.

A couple photos from today. Saw buff right at dark but it was too late to differentiate them. Trying to go after them first thing in the morning. Most of you already know, but if you haven’t been, Africa is AMAZING!!!

F91007C0-5202-46B2-9E80-DDD1058847B6.jpeg
C7BF59E0-6630-439F-B2D2-9A0DBA3613CC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple photos from today. Saw buff right at dark but it was too late to differentiate them. Trying to go after them first thing in the morning. Most of you already know, but if you haven’t been, Africa is AMAZING!!!

Congrats @gcbailey ! Seems you are having a grand time!

PART 2: Preparation.​

I have poured over safari packing videos and advice on this site. I found the “What to Pack” videos by Philip Glass and Craig Boddington to be especially helpful. On a side note, if you have not seen the documentary Trophy that features Philip Glass, I HIGHLY recommend it. That is one film that everyone should see- both hunters AND non-hunters. I do not know Mr. Glass, but like Boddington, I liked his cool-headed demeanor and common sense approach to hunting. It makes watching them hunt highly enjoyable for me-unlike many that make every hunt a major drama episode. The sequence of Mr. Glass's lion hunt was incredibly powerful and moving for me… and I think I am about to watch it again for the eight thousandth time.

I modeled my packing similarly to Craig Boddington for a couple reasons: first, I like his straight forward, no frills approach. Second, he uses some practical clothing and military gear that I already have readily available. The only thing that frustrates me about Boddington is that he doesn’t say what all his gear is, which left me searching for days on the internet until I found some of the items he was using. To save people some effort, below are photos as well as an itemized list of what I plan on taking to Africa, as well as their associated cost (rounded to the nearest dollar). Am I missing anything? Please let me know!

Packing List​

Rifle Case:

-I like Pelican cases. I’ve been using them for years for deployments and they have held up exceptionally well. Soldiers, Baggage Handlers, and toddlers are all the same when it comes to handling equipment, so the fact they have held up gives me a lot of confidence my rifles will make it safely to Africa.

-There are a lot of tripods, but I like the Bog-Pod because they are reasonably tough yet lightweight. The Wide Body Shooting Rest is perfect for double rifles.

-I have been using OTIS cleaning kits for some time now. They are nice and compact and have all you need to field clean your firearm.

-Broken Anvil is made by Charles Bridges who is an active duty Soldier I worked with a little time ago. He was featured on Forged in Fire. I really like his Damascus blades.

-Like Boddington, I like the Trader Keith Rifle Slings. They are classic and the two rows of impregnated rubber help keep the firearm on your shoulder. I think they are worth every penny.
View attachment 451929
View attachment 451930
View attachment 451931

ITEM COST

Pelican 1750 Case $290

2x Generic padded rifle cases- Walmart brand $10 EACH

2x Trader Keith Rifle Slings $65 EACH

Bog-Pod RLD-3 (Red Legged Devil) $97

Bog-Pod Wide Body Shooting Rest $50

Trader Keith Backup Slide $65

Hunter Ammo Slide (10 rounds) $30

Hunter Ammo Slide (5 rounds) $20

Gerber Multi-Tool (issued) $85

Silicone Cleaning Cloth $5

Real Avid Bore Boss (7mm) $10

Otis #40 Ripcord $12

Custom Broken Anvil Hunting Knife $200

Hicape Neoprene Waterproof Scope Cover (set of 2) $13

Carry-On Bag:

The Blackhawk Titan was thankfully issued to me, as I doubt I would have spent that kind of money on a backpack. They are a bit heavy but incredibly tough. There are also a lot of pockets to hold various tools and doodads.

I came across Covert Threads Desert Socks when I preparing for my first deployment. I have been wearing them almost exclusively every day for the past 15 years. They are comfortable, well padded, and reinforced in hot spot areas. I probably have nearly 30 pairs at this point. I’ve heard a lot about merino Wool, but these socks have served me well in a myriad of climates so I will be packing them for my trip.

The Military Riggers Belt is the same belt Craig Boddington uses. Old habits die hard and I laughed a little when I saw him wearing it in nearly all his videos. The standard rigger belt is cheap but extremely durable. It held up in combat, so I see no reason it won’t do the same on a hunting trip.

The Army issued 3M earplugs are a great buy. If you know someone in the military, ask them to get you a set or 40. I keep two sets in my range bag, two sets in my truck, 8 sets in the garage….

I debated bringing the shemagh, as it can seem a bit “tacti-cool” or make you feel (and look) like an Arab Sheik, but bottom line is they are great. They are light weight, keep you warm, keep you cool, and especially good at keeping sand out of your face. It might even work as a COVID mask.

The military issued gloves and beanie isn’t anything special. I had them already on hand and they are neutral colors. Any light weight pair of gloves should work fine so long as they don’t prohibit free movement of your trigger finger.

Army Polypropylene Long Johns, called “PolyPro” are amazing. They are light weight, very warm, and hold up to being jumped on as you cram them into a duffel bag. No ironing required.

With the Olight, I broke my own rule. I despise anything that comes from China, which I realize is almost everything. I don’t like to support countries who are directly competing with the US its allies. But Olight flashlights are amazing. They are rechargeable and are BRIGHT at a fraction of the cost of SureFire. SureFire is assembled in the USA, but they use “foreign components” which I assume means China as well. I would gladly pay more for them but they have a BIG downside. They eat batteries at a ridiculous rate. I literally packed hundreds of batteries to fuel my SureFire on deployments and still had to order more before re-deploying home.

While the Gerber RECON flashlight isn’t anywhere near the brightness of SureFire or Olight, it is a solid little flashlight that makes a great backup to my primary light. It’s small and has red, green, blue, and white lenses that are changed just by rotating the head of the light.

I used GoPro but didn’t like that it lacked zoom capability. The Tactacam is light, has several firearm mounting options, is silent when it turns on, and takes great quality video. Hopefully, I will be able to get good video of shots on game, especially the dangerous variety.

I am nearly deaf, so I wear Etymotic GSP-15 earplugs every time I go hunting and shooting. Although a bit more bulky than the issued 3M earplugs, I want to be able to hear my PH whispering to me when we are on a stalk. The Etymotic earplugs are electronic and allow me to hear normal conversation, yet provide excellent protection from gunfire with its passive noise cancellation. They aren’t cheap, but I cannot afford to lose what little I is left of my hearing.
View attachment 451932

ITEM COST

Blackhawk Titan Hydration Pack (issued) $266

Carhartt Rugged Flex Pants $45

Tag Safari Trail Shirt (Short Sleeve) $62

Scala Felt Hat $32

Covert Threads Desert Socks $18

Military Riggers Belt (issued) $14

Military Earplugs (issued) $8

Shemagh $13

Leather Journal $40

Leupold RX1600i Range Finder $429

Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binoculars $500

Army Cold Weather Gloves (issued) $7

Army Fleece Beanie (issued) $11

Army Polypropylene Long John Top (issued) $14

Olight Odin Mini Flashlight $140

Gerber Recon LED Flashlight $24

Tactacam Action Camera $300

Pelican 1010 Micro Case $17

Pelican 1060 Micro Case $23

Tag Safari Leather Gaiters $80

Oakley Flak Sunglasses $165

Ray Ban Aviator Classic Sunglasses $150

Etymotic GSP-15 Electronic Earplugs $300

Checked Bag:

The Red Oxx PR6 Duffel bag is what Craig Boddington uses (I called them and even asked for the same size). He claims it has served him well for years and I believe it! This is one well-built bag! There aren’t many pockets and there is no padding, but this duffel can hold a lot. I wear a size 13 shoe and the end pockets are just large enough for me to cram my Crocs inside. The top opens via a center panel with zippers on each side. The top is secured with stainless steel twist lock fasteners. Plus, it’s made in Montana and has a lifetime warranty. My only concern is that there isn’t a way to lock the bag and secure the items inside.

I have worn Dubarry Wexford boots for about three years now. They are hands down the best thing I’ve ever put on my feet. They are water proof and Gore-Tex lined, but amazingly comfortable in both hot and cold weather. Plus, they have an awesome classic look!

Although I will be hunting during their winter, just to be safe, I am bringing After Bite, Permethrin spray, and Picaridin wipes.

I’ve never tried it before, but I decided to use Red Oxx Packing Cubes to help me stay organized. We’ll see how it goes.
View attachment 451933
View attachment 451934
ITEM COST

Red Oxx PR6 Duffel Bag $245

Dubarry Wexford Boots $569

Military Riggers Belt $14

Shemagh $13

Dorfman Pacific Boonie Hat $22

RIG Universal Gun Grease $12

Schmidt Bender Lens Cleaning Kit $50

Sawyer Permethrin Spray $19

Bag of large tip ties $2

Sawyer Picaridin Wipes $14

After Bite (Pack of 2) $14

Magellan Outdoors Men's Back Country Zipoff Nylon Pant $25

Carhartt Men's Rugged Work Khaki Pants $40

Magellan Outdoors Men's Laguna Madre Pant $30

2x Power Plug Adapter $13 each

TAG Safari Jacket $98

Columbia Sportswear Men's PFG Permit III Shorts $35

Magellan Outdoors Men's Lost Pines Cargo Shorts $20

2x Orvis Shor Sleeve Linen Bush Shirt $89 each

Orvis Short Sleeve Bush Shirt $79

Orvis Short Sleeve Safari Polo Shirt $69

David Archy Men’s Short Leg Boxer Briefs (Set of 3) $38

3x Covert Threads Desert Socks $18 each

MTM Survivor Dry Box $12

The Perfect Shot: Mini Edition for Africa 2 (not pictured) $17

2x Red Oxx Packing Cube Set $135 each

Ammo Box:

The MTM Survivor Dry Box is also an item used by Craig Boddington. Unfortunately, we can only carry 11 pounds of ammunition and nitro express rounds add weight quickly. The box has nice depth, locks on three sides, and is lockable. I was able to fit 20 rounds of 450/400 soft nose, 10 rounds of 450/400 solid nose, and 60 rounds of 275 Rigby inside. I also have to give a shout out to Hendershot’s here as well. I ran out of Hornady 450/400 to practice with and started to get worried about finding more. I had some unfired Hornady 450/400 cases and Woodleigh Weldcore bullets on hand, both softs and solids. I contacted Hendershot’s, sent in my components, and they loaded the ammo for me at a reasonable price.
View attachment 451936

Medical:

The Blue Force Gear Micro Trauma Kit is an item I carry on my battle belt but have fortunately never used. I figured clogging a bullet hole or clogging a hole made from the horn of an animal will be about the same. The Micro Trauma Kit is compact, lightweight, and can easily be carried at the small of my back on my hunting belt. Our Combat Medics set me up with medical supplies so I only bought the pouch itself. Blue Force Gear does sell pre-packaged units at prices from $114 to over $200 depending on what medical supplies you order. The Tourniquet NOW holder threads through the bottom of the Micro Trauma Kit NOW. It has an elastic sleeve that can hold a tourniquet, spare magazine, banana, beer can, or whatever else you can stuff in it.
View attachment 451937
View attachment 451940
View attachment 451941

ITEM COST

Blue Force Gear Micro Trauma Kit NOW (empty) $89

Eye Patch

S-Rolled Gauze

Combat Gauze

Nasal Farangeal

Emergency Bandage

HyFin Chest Seal

CAT Tourniquet

1 Pair latex gloves

Decompression Needle

Small Bottle of aspirin (not pictured)

Blue Force Gear Tourniquet NOW holder $12

Thanks for reading! I will post Part 3 here when I return from my hunt. In the meantime your, comments, recommendations, and shared experience would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 451939
This is a fantastic breakdown and great for those of us still dreaming / planning our first trip! Thank you for the detailed information this has been great to read so far and I am definitely looking forward to your hunting report.
Thank you for your service as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois