The little extras

Bsto270

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
So with my safari planning going from outfitter search to true preparation mode, one thing I did was read the tipping guide on here. It is quite helpful, but I did come up with something I wanted to pose on here. When picking little items to give to trackers, skinners, camp staff, etc , what are some items you have found that are really appreciated? I wanted to hear some thoughts, ideas and experiences that hunters on here would be willing to share. I believe that these little extras make people's days and really do help when on a trip. I know growing up it was even as simple as, when on a charter boat, you brought extra food for the captain and mate.

Individually wrapped pieces of candy. I bring a bag and hand some out every day during a break while hunting. Most eat it then. Last year one kept it for his children. Clothes always seen to be in demand. My 2nd trip to africa the tracker asked for my tennis shoes at the end of the hunt. That is a good question to ask your PH. I know some bring cigarettes.....
Bruce

Cash, Cash and more cash!

Now if they smoke which many do.....take a carton of smokes! Unfiltered Camels.
I have given Leathermen tools, smokes, rolling papers and pipe tobacco, hard candy and scarves that my wife made. Last year I took several flashlights with batteries and left them with staff members.

Cash always the best but I like to give them little extras too along with the cash. Pocket knifes are handy, flash lights, etc

Never thought of candy. I'll keep that in mind for the next trip

@Bsto270 thanks for asking this question. With my first safari coming up, I too am interested in this.

One of my outfitters recommended t-shirts, knives, gloves and for kids coloring books and pencils, soccer balls, etc.

My other outfitter recommended only cash.

First trip I gave the camp cook bars of soap, tooth paste, and a new tooth brush I had brought along. All the left over candy the skinner took home to his kids.

Soccer ball is a good idea. When Andri and I were after the buff once I had wounded it my wife and kids stayed back in camp for safety reasons. They taught the staff how to play kickball but the only ball they had was pretty worn out and sad looking. They'd have been beside themselves had we had the fore thought to bring a new ball to give them.

I took Soccer balls to Namibia the first trip.
The farm held a tournament every Sunday.
When I pulled out a ball and a pump, all work stopped instantly. Not a happy Farmer for a minute or two.
It happened to be something they needed.

Other places, the kids had no bloody idea what it was.

Otherwise, CASH is king!

Great answers from everyone, I thank you all. I am thinking I will have to check with my PH to lock some things up on this as to what is needed/wanted but this thread gave me some great ideas so far.

For the upcoming trip I picked up 4 camouflage hats from the sale bin at Cabelas, $6.00 each. Thought they would be good for the trackers and skinners. I also considered getting the little LED flashlights that clip on the brim of a hat.

I took a long the regular things like hats , t shirts , Canadian flag pins and cash ..... I also had taken with me 3 pair of cheap reading glasses ,as I didn't want to loose my prescription pair ....well they went to good use . The 2 guys I went with also put aside 5 usd each for the tracker , skinner , gardener and camp cook , when were headed out of camp it was my job to make sure each received our token of appreciation . That night the camps owner came in furious as a few of the fellows were to tired to work .... oops I'm not sure he ever did figure out what had happened LOL ?
Glen

All of the items mentioned are great suggestions. I always take extras like t-shirts, ball caps, and inexpensive pocket knives. Candy is ALWAYS a big hit.

The only thing I would add to this conversation is that the extra gifts should be in addition to, and not in lieu of a cash gratuity. The gifts are a great gesture and always appreciated, but cash money puts food on the table.

To add to what G Skinner mentioned, its always a good idea to confer with the PH or outfitter before handing out cash. In some camps, the outfitter may want you to refrain from tipping until the end of the safari for the reasons mentioned.

Older hunting shirts, small pocket knives or promo version swiss army knives

Great information from all. I fully intend to do the full cash tip (you never skip on one with a service position unless things are really quite heinous. I have been there in a position where I could make them and had plenty of people who wouldn't no matter how good the service, so I cannot stand to not do so). However, like so many here have mentioned, these little things you give out as a sort of added bonus sound like a great idea.

Clothing and shoes are very much appreciated, I usually leave part of the hunting clothes I have used during my hunt.

Years ago when the baggage allowance was two suitcases, I filled one with used barely clothes from my daughters, they were really thankful !

Beyond cash ... and the SCI blue bag http://safariclubfoundation.org/humanitarian-services/safaricare ... this is very personal. I find handing out trinkets to be very condescending, so I make sure that I tip very well. I was at or above the high end on all of my tips. I also provided tips to the outfitter to distribute with full directions on said distribution rather than tipping directly as I am more comfortable with that approach for the same reason.

We just had our outfitter stop a a South African Walmart type of store and went a little crazy buying school and some medical supplies for the local school that was in the area that we were hunting. While I didn't get to participate in handing out the supplies I saw the pictures of the smiles on the kids faces that the other hunters in my group took.

Also since I had quite a bit of extra South African rand left I tipped a little bit heavy to those in the camp that work there.

Most outfitters want you to NOT give the money directly to the staff. Too many times they disappear for days/weeks until the money runs out. I gave the money to the outfitter with notes as to who gets what. If you are concerned give the people a script with how much you want them to get.
Hand CANDY is loved by all. I took 10 pounds and they loved me. I had a bulk bag of Skittles and M&M's in small individual bags(wall-Mart) and the first time I gave a bag to the tracker he was only eating one at a time very slowly. I went to give him another and he showed me the bag he had hardly touched. I gave him 2 bags and showed him just rip open the top and dump some in your mouth. He was a happy camper after that and I kept a supply of different candies coming. They also liked the sour candies. He did everything but carry my sorry butt around on his back. I did sneak him 20 Rand extra also but then he was gone from work a few days after I left. :( I did not tell the outfitter. I also gave him a knife for skinning/gutting that I got at Cabelas. Not costly but he liked it.
Even my outfitter/PH liked some of the candy they do not have there.
I had quite a bit of stuff I bought to bring back and my outfitter gave me a bottle of Rum I cannot find/get in the USA. So I left shirts/t-shirts/pants/tennis shoes/shower shoes/soap/shampoo/socks and such for the staff to divide up. All of that is easy enough and not expensive to replace at home. I kept my camo, hunting boots and good shoes and such.
Hats are good and I took about 10 of them with me in my rifle case.
I left a set of Cabela brand Bog Pod Shooting type sticks with the outfitter/PH . He liked them and we used those and a set of sticks he had. One set for the rifle and one to brace my elbow on. Worked great.

You might ask the outfitter/PH for other ideas also

I'm a bit of a knife nut myself and I found that throwing some good quality sheath knives in my kit to give as special gifts really went over well. Even something like a nice Leatherman or Gerber Multi Tool with a guthook can be something very well received.

I would recommend though always discussing with your outfitter/PH what they feel is appropriate though because you don't want to be jacking up the cost of labor to them unwittingly.

If you are going into the real deep bush SCI's Blue Bag's go over very well with the locals as well and unless the policy has changed members can get them at no or very little cost.

The further out in the bush you go the more the little items we take for granted mean to people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!