The latest on USFWS Elephant Import Permits from Zimbabwe

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Thought the group might want the latest details, as provided by me as hearsay.

ConservationForce.Org is reporting that none of the USFWS permits for 2018 have been reviewed on a "case by case" basis as defined here has occurred whatsoever: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...hies-taken-on-or-after-january-21-2016-and-on

They did report that Tanzania Lion permits, quantity 30, that had not been reviewed by USFWS since 2016 are flowing out now. Laughably, they are sending permits that are no longer valid (12 month window) so the permits are literally not worth the paper they are printed on.

Anyway, back to USFWS elephants permits for Zimbabwe: At the end of the Federal register statement above, the USFWS also state " In addition, the Service will reevaluate the status of African elephants in Zimbabwe before the end of 2018 and make a new finding in the beginning of 2019 for, at least, the 2019 hunting season."

As those of you with calendars may be aware, their promise has come and gone unanswered.

Steps that many are taking:

ConservationForce.org will represent individuals that wish to have them process their permits. They are also contemplating legal action to compel USFWS to adhere to the law and rules they have stated in the Federal register.

Possible scenarios:

1.) Trump wins a reelection, then releases permits.
2.) USFWS loses the lawsuit, permits are released.
3.) USFWS issues ruling banning permit issuance for 2019 onward.
4.) USFWS reviews all 2018 permits as described, on a "Case by case" basis and rejects them all.
5.) Future permits are all ended, those that got their application in queue get approved as the last of their kind.
6.) USFWS falls madly in love with the compelling science, approves all permits in due course, and importation in the future from Zimbabwe resumes completely unfettered. (This scenario is the least likely of all 6)

As a consequence of the USFWS delayed action and ambiguity, elephant hunting prices in Zimbabwe are at an all time low. Even though exportable, the restrictions on importation to the US and elsewhere have reduced trophy elephant hunts to the price of non-trophy cow hunts. Even then, reports indicate that there is lack of interest with many tags/quota going unutilized at this time. Basically, the USFWS policies have turned $30,000 elephant hunts into <$10,000 elephant hunts, deeply reducing the value and incentives of working with wildlife for the indigenous people. Lack of financial resources results in less patrols, more poaching, and more human-animal conflict. This is bad for the wildlife in the long term. Things that are worth very little are not valued or conserved.

Thanks for sharing. Just saw where Wayne Van Den Bergh @Nyamazana Safaris posted a deeply discounted hunt for elephant, buffalo and croc. Seems to match up with what you are seeing.

As far as #6 in your list. What type of odds are you willing to give me?

Thanks for sharing. Just saw where Wayne Van Den Bergh @Nyamazana Safaris posted a deeply discounted hunt for elephant, buffalo and croc. Seems to match up with what you are seeing.

As far as #6 in your list. What type of odds are you willing to give me?

1,000:1?

Too political to be fact based. Exportable Zimbabwe elephant is having a going out of business sale. The rush will be to Botswana for exportable hunts, then that will be closed on the US import side, etc, etc.

The antis have figured out how to win:

1.) political pressure to ban import

2.) legislative action to demand the names of anyone that imports trophies so they can leak those names and addresses to PETA thugs, dox you, get you fired from your company, etc.

Even at those odds not sure I would take them. But, I would share a beverage and chat about the situation at some point.

So please excuse my ignorance but a question.

So if one were to go to Zimbabwe and harvest and elephant that is exportable, is it correct that the PH or outfit will simply hold the ivory etc for shipment back to the US when the permit is finally issued?

Assuming it is at some point issued?

Just curious as would love to go on a hunt and am fine to wait on the trophy/ivory to eventually arrive. Assuming it eventually arrives.

A spoke with one of the largest Zim taxidermists this week. They tell me they are so full of elephant trophies they can’t export they are going to start charging storage fees.

I then heard from @Tokoloshe Safaris that elephant license fees may go up 300% this coming year in some areas of Zimbabwe, virtually guaranteeing they won’t be sold as the trophy fees are being increased by the government while their export ability is less and less likely. Really a tough situation ultimately caused by USFWS driving down demand through their policies. America meddles, Africa suffers.

The solution? Hunt non-exportable bulls and have replica tusks made for $750?

Craziness and so politically intwined it’s absurd.

I’d love to hunt an elephant but while the trophy is the experience I must admit I do want the actual tusks to hand down the generations.

Seems that is hard, if not impossible to accomplish on my budget.

Craziness and so politically intwined it’s absurd.

I’d love to hunt an elephant but while the trophy is the experience I must admit I do want the actual tusks to hand down the generations.

Seems that is hard, if not impossible to accomplish on my budget.

Be advised, in many states, you cannot transfer your ivory across state lines nor sell it. If your heirs move out of state....burn pile or felons are the ivory options.

#4 followed by #3 followed by #1 followed by #2 with infinite appeals by circuit judges picked by the antis..... I'm just gonna go hunt while I still have a pulse!

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that. Good info.

Thanks for sharing

Great information. Thank you even if it is not the answer we are all hoping for

So please excuse my ignorance but a question.

So if one were to go to Zimbabwe and harvest and elephant that is exportable, is it correct that the PH or outfit will simply hold the ivory etc for shipment back to the US when the permit is finally issued?

Assuming it is at some point issued?

Just curious as would love to go on a hunt and am fine to wait on the trophy/ivory to eventually arrive. Assuming it eventually arrives.
There are stacks of ivory at taxidermists like TCI in Bulawayo waiting for permits. I do not know what they charge to store but yes is the answer to your question.

What a sickening situation it is that our USFW branch of government thinks it has the right to deny legally harvested trophies to be brought in based solely on political pressure. I don’t have to tell anyone here what kind of damage their causing wildlife and the people in those areas. Does anyone really believe they will change course? Hell no!

I guess you could get a second home in Canada and have that as your trophy room?:(
Sad situation for American hunters.

I always felt that I should just ship them to Mexico and then carry them over the border!

Thanks for update Rook
I fully concur with hunting non trophy and replicas made
So rarely will we see reversals in opinions regardless how unbased in fact those opinions are
God willing ill be with wayne very early march for ele. Should i be sucessful it will be 50 years since shooting the last one as a kid
Cheers. Jacques

Q. Has anyone ever tried to hire an attorney to sue to have them issue the permit from an exportable place?

Seems they aren’t doing their jobs (no surprise). A judge might issue order directing them to do so in a specific timeline.

Just a thought.

I always felt that I should just ship them to Mexico and then carry them over the border!

I imagine heads would explode if you got an illegal immigrant to carry them across....

Q. Has anyone ever tried to hire an attorney to sue to have them issue the permit from an exportable place?

Seems they aren’t doing their jobs (no surprise). A judge might issue order directing them to do so in a specific timeline.

Just a thought.

As Rook stated above, I believe Conservation Force (a non-profit) will represent hunters in applying for permits for elephant, leopard, etc

1.) Trump wins a reelection, then releases permits.

This worked so well for the last 3 years!?!?

That's more dreamy than a USFWS love story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg