The Last? Abercrombie & Fitch .270 Mauser For Sale - Mint

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
An Abercrombie & Fitch Mauser action rifle in .270 Winchester. The gun is in its Abercrombie & Fitch case and it includes the original purchase invoice and paper/cardboard original shipping box as well. The rifle has a high luster finish, is engraved "Abercrombie & Fitch, Beverly Hills, CA". This was one of the last rifles ever made for A&F before their untimely demise. Dual crossbolts. Jeweled Bolt. EXTREMELY lightweight. Has a long 15" length of pull. Includes talley quick detach rings and mounts. The rifle had never been fired before I acquired it. (it had no mounts or scope ever installed when I got it!) I had the case refitted to accommodate the scope. Crisp trigger. Mauser custom side safety. Sighted the gun and put 5 shots on paper. Cleaned it and put it up. This is as nice of a gentleman's long-range gun as you can as for. Rifle weighs approximately 7lbs but is quite diminutive and beautifully balanced. You could carry this all day in Africa or in the Rockies no problem.

To reduce costs, I've cut the price to best and final and I've removed the scope from the offer.

The rifle, case, paperwork, and shipping box, along with 30mm Talley rings and mounts, $3495. (USA - Lower 48)

IF you want the brand-new Leica 2-10x50mm optic that has an MSRP around $1300, with its box, papers, warranty card, etc, you can buy it with the rifle for an additional $500.

Abercrombie & Fitch, in an attempt to save the brand, opened one store in Beverly Hills, CA at the end of their storied history, circa 1978. Several Hollywood elites bought their rifles from this store before going on hunts. This rifle was then transferred from the Abercrombie & Fitch Beverly Hills CA store to Oshman's Sporting Goods (the A&F parent) and sold in 1981 to its first owner. His layaway hold paper is still taped to the rifle's shipping box. It's likely that this was the last A&F rifle ever sold.

Only one reason I'm selling this rifle so inexpensively: I bought a very expensive Double Rifle and I need to let go of some of my guns to offset the purchase.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.21.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.21.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.21.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.21.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.20.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.20.30 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 4.39.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 4.39.13 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 293
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 4.39.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 4.39.28 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 266
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 4.39.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 4.39.35 PM.png
    473.5 KB · Views: 281
Price reduced!

To reduce costs, I've cut the price to best and final and I've removed the scope from the offer.

The rifle, case, paperwork, and shipping box, along with 30mm Talley rings and mounts, $2995. (USA - Lower 48)

WOW, what a beauty.

Hard to believe that A&F was once a great safari outfitting company. Now t-shirts for kids.

indeed, they were one of the three US firms that made up the “Holy Trinity” of best guns in America:

Griffin & Howe, Von Langerke, and Abercrombie & Fitch.

Every best gun in 20th Century America was either made by them, retailed by them, or built by an out worker moonlighting that was affiliated with them.

A short list of their connections to the whole best gun world with one degree of separation:

Townsend Whelen
Howe
Niedner
Shelhammer
Paul Jaeger
Sedgley
Super Britte
Dumoulin
fabrique nacional
Browning
Olin
Winchester
August Francotte
Darne
Jules Bury
Angelo Bee

and the list goes on and on.

indeed, they were one of the three US firms that made up the “Holy Trinity” of best guns in America:

Griffin & Howe, Von Langerke, and Abercrombie & Fitch.

Every best gun in 20th Century America was either made by them, retailed by them, or built by an out worker moonlighting that was affiliated with them.

A short list of their connections to the whole best gun world with one degree of separation:

Townsend Whelen
Howe
Niedner
Shelhammer
Paul Jaeger
Sedgley
Super Britte
Dumoulin
fabrique nacional
Browning
Olin
Winchester
August Francotte
Darne
Jules Bury
Angelo Bee

and the list goes on and on.
Nice rifle Rook and a very fair price.

But “every” best gun? Al Biesen could build a pretty special rifle.

Nice rifle Rook and a very fair price.

But “every” best gun? Al Biesen could build a pretty special rifle.

case and point:

Al Biesen learned a lot growing up from Al Linden in Wisconsin. Both supplied goods to Von Langerke in Chicago (later Abercrombie & Fitch) and used parts and actions supplied to them via the Trinity, or contributed to guns retailed by them.

Everyone I can think of in 20th century best guns in America was one degree of separation from the Trinity. Michael Petrov’s two volume gunmakers of the 20th century shows the incestuous nature of this very small, elite group.

How about this? I’ll keep the Abercrombie & Fitch case?

Rifle, mounts, rings, original shipping carton, paperwork: $2400 delivered.

Beautiful gun, not currently in the market for a 270. I do remember the days when A&F was the outfitter is the USA. When I was growing up in South Texas, a Kleinguenther was the must have gun.

I'll bring it down to $2700 w/ case, rings, mounts, original papers, shipping box. It'd be perfect for my kids but its a really long stock rifle. Someone else deserves the "brand new rifle" experience rather than me chopping it down to size.

Man, hard to believe this rifle has not sold. Too bad I'm broke. :(

I wish brother, I have a safari to pay :(

Gun is a great candidate for auction. Certainly some AF collectors out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross