The Knife Of The Trade

I only carry Okapi knives, I have gotten my hands on the hacksaw clasp knife as well, works wonders in opening the sternum when gutting an antelope
71092608_506869283218497_1662128055511941120_n.jpg

Didn't realize that Okapi made a saw now. Thanks for posting.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome Viktor to AH!

Here is one that was taken from a poacher. If anyone is looking for an authentic African knife that has been there and done that.... - give me a shout, I'll happily post it to you.

If no one spoke up i am interested. Let me know what you want and how to pay for postage etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
CBH,

The knife have found a new home the U.S. for quite some time now. If I ever come across one again, I'll keep you in mind.

Regards,
Boela.

Thanks to @Boela

I’m coming to Africa soon, I’ve been waiting my whole life. I am travelling light using only a carry on so I don’t think I will be able to carry a knife. If I find something interesting I will have to post it home. Just a gun enthusiast with an interest in knives too.

Something taken from a poacher is a good thing and would have been an interesting artefact to leave my son one day.

Thanks to @Boela

I’m coming to Africa soon, I’ve been waiting my whole life. I am travelling light using only a carry on so I don’t think I will be able to carry a knife. If I find something interesting I will have to post it home. Just a gun enthusiast with an interest in knives too.

Something taken from a poacher is a good thing and would have been an interesting artefact to leave my son one day.

Let your outfitter know you want an Okapi knife. He can coordinate one for you. Probably for a few bucks from one of his employees. If you want other items like swords, spears, axes, gin traps, wood carvings, he can probably arrange them for you at a cheap price. Wrap them all up, put them in a box and use that as a checked piece of luggage.

Wheels, thanks for the advice. I’ve Leroy skied my PH a lot of questions. Probably the hardest he has worked for. Cull hunt client before the hunt.
Seriously it’s a new to me. First o/seas travel and first paying Hunt.
We are thinking about taking over a small checked luggage bag for some items of low value and importance going one way. Maybe some clothes, Australian Cadbury Chocolate and a bottle of Bundaberg Rum. Thongs for our feet (cheap Flip flops) we are doing January and they have a pool.

Here is a more modern version of it...

The Cold Steel Kudu Knife

The Cold Steel Kudu Knife is made after the original South African OKAPI pocket knife.

watermark.php
@AfricaHunting.com
Jerome they remind me of the French made Opinel knives. Available in carbon or stainless. The carbon is easy to sharpen and holds a good edge for a long time. The only thing is no matter the blade length the blade design is the same on all models. My 3 inch blade was 19 AUD.
Bob

20200614_111807.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@AfricaHunting.com
Jerome they remind me of the French made Opinel knives. Available in carbon or stainless. The carbon is easy to sharpen and holds a good edge for a long time. The only thing is no matter the blade length the blade design is the same on all models. My 3 inch blade was 19 AUD.
Bob
I always take a few of these to Africa and hand out to anyone who wants one. They're reasonably cheap and very useful because as you say, they keep a good edge.
My go to skinning knife for deer in the UK. There's always one in my truck too. Great little pocket knives.

@AfricaHunting.com
Bob

View attachment 377800
They are indeed great knives that come in various sizes and over the years OPINEl developed their brand and products a lot. Just make sure to get the original classic folding knives as there are lots of counterfeit.

For US: https://www.opinel-usa.com
For France/Europe: https://www.opinel.com

Last edited:
I have one, picked it up at a local gun show here couple years ago. I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross